Old 21st October 2016, 15:11   #1
SAB123

Importing from WMP

Hello, All my music in on a external hard drive that is in windows media player which all the albums are there. Not all of the albums (about 30% missing) that are in windows media player import to winamp when I transfer to it. And it bug the heck out of me because winamp is awesome media player but have to go WMP to listen to the missing albums. Need to know you to get all my albums from either ext hard drive or WMP to it.

Information

1) Clean install- Yes
2) Make/Model Lenovo/F0B0052vs
3) Plug ins- Import from WMP player only
4) CPU/RAM- 8 Gigs
5) Sound Card- No upgrade original in Lenovo
6) Video Card- same as above
7) OS system- 10
8) Direct X version- Not sure of what this is
9) Winamp Version- I believe it is 5.666
10) install type- I believe it was the full version

PS: I am not the best on computers.
SAB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 11:02   #2
CJ_Man

I'm not clear on how you are doing this. The normal method is simply to go to File - Add Media to Library and direct it to the topmost folder containing your music. Winamp will then scan all the subfolders and build it's own library.

If that's not what you have been doing then clear out Winamps current library first so you don't get duplications.

If you have done it that way however, or those albums are still missing after the scan then we'll need to find out what's different about those files.

Note: Winamp can't play DRM'd content so if you're unlucky, that may be the reason.
CJ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 14:44   #3
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
None of your music is in Windows Media Player. It is all in the folders where WMP is looking.
There is no import/export process for music. You can import/export lists of files.
You have to make any other media player simply look in the same folders.
Possibly some of your music is in your Documents/Music folder. If so, move those folders to the external HD music folder, or add that as another watched folder in Winamp.
Winamp can watch many folders in different locations.

Look at the file properties of anything you are forced to play in WMP.
1) see where the file lives.
2) If it is a WMA file, check to see if it says it is licensed or DRM tagged. If so you will need to remember to export your licences from WMP and keep them safe, or in future you will not be able to play the music in anything.

I had no problems with Winamp playing DRM WMA that I ripped on the same PC, but that was a few years ago.

If Winamp cannot use your WMA licences, you will have to burn to audio CDs and re-rip as MP3, MP4 or OGG.
If your files are low quality (128 - 160k) they will sound worse if you rip at that quality again.
To preserve what quality you have, rip at 192k or higher.

My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 12:56   #4
SAB123

Thanks for the responses. Dr.Flay, have checked to see if there was a license in the wma and there are none. Also I have imported from the import all media in Winamp and some of the albums still do not transfer. I checked some of the albums and looks like most are MP3 format. Yesterday I did download Winamp onto my work computer and some of the albums that did not transfer on my home computer did transfer over to winamp on my work laptop. You think maybe I should uninstall then reinstall to see if that works. Still very confused on why some albums transfer and some don't. Or maybe can it be that I have windows 10. I have 8 on my work computer.
SAB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:14   #5
kathykit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB123 View Post
Hello, All my music in on a external hard drive that is in windows media player which all the albums are there. Not all of the albums (about 30% missing) that are in windows media player import to winamp when I transfer to it. And it bug the heck out of me because winamp is awesome media player but have to go WMP to listen to the missing albums. Need to know you to get all my albums from either ext hard drive or WMP to it.

Information

1) Clean install- Yes
2) Make/Model Lenovo/F0B0052vs
3) Plug ins- Import from WMP player only
4) CPU/RAM- 8 Gigs
5) Sound Card- No upgrade original in Lenovo
6) Video Card- same as above
7) OS system- 10
8) Direct X version- Not sure of what this is
9) Winamp Version- I believe it is 5.666
10) install type- I believe it was the full version

PS: I am not the best on computers.