Old 7th July 2002, 01:49   #1
Huehuetenango
Forum King

synesthesia

has anyone else heard of this phenomena?
when different senses are joined together in some ways
classic examples are ppl who see certain numbers as certain colours, or see certain colours w/ certain sounds, or associate touch and another sense, things like that
i just found out that my girlfriend has this, and she was explaining it to me today
i've been interested in it for a long time, mainly because when i did research on it long ago, i found that i showed some symptoms, both in the sense mixing, and in other respects

apparently, my girlfriend sees certain numbers as certian colours: 1 is red, 7 is light green, 3 is dark green, etc (those are the ones i can remember)
when she thinks of a certain person, she will associate certain colours w/ them in her mind's eye (apparently, i'm green)

we were talking, and it seems that i show some symptoms (get deja vu a lot, excellent memory, bad at math, left handed, and i often associate tastes w/ shapes [i've been known to describe the taste of milk as round])

i just find the entire phenomena so interesting, now i have a name for it, and want to do more research

anyone else have any experience w/ this?
anyone else have this?
Huehuetenango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2002, 01:56   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I tend to get symptoms too...for example:

yellow
pink
brown
blue

I tend to read the color of the lettering rather than the word itself in cases like that.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2002, 02:05   #3
Huehuetenango
Forum King

uhm, that's a proven thing for most ppl, atmo
most ppl will say the colour of hte letters, rather than read the word

i'm tlaking about seeing a number written down, in plain black ink (it doesn't matter what colour it is written in), but the person will perceive it as a certain colour
or
if they hear music, they will see certain images

it's supposed to be fairly steady, the same colour will always be w/ the same sound, or number, or word, or whatever
Old 7th July 2002, 02:20   #4
Reaper
Forum King

I used to have that at a younger age. For example, I would look at an object and think of a number. I had to go see some person for it but I can't remember crap they told me about it. I'm mostly over that now.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2002, 02:43   #5
deathazre
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to deathazre Send a message via AIM to deathazre
I can "see" sounds as shapes and colors somewhat.
deathazre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2002, 03:29   #6
eleet-2k2
Forum King

I can see sounds as visualizations!

OMG! I was just about to post a thread about this as I was digging through my pile of old Discover magazines. I read about this almost 2 years ago, I think before i joined the forums. It really is interesting though. YOur girlfriend is cool!

Here's the link. I new I read about it before these forums, December 1999 issue. http://www.discover.com/dec_99/featsyn.html

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2002, 03:45   #7
Huehuetenango
Forum King

yes, 31337, she is, and not just b/c of this, but i digress
she was teling me how she used to complain to her mother that those little coloured plastic letters all kids have were wrong, and her mom thought she was crazy

and she drew me a picture of waht music looks like to her, and it looks like the default visualization on winamp
the spectrograph thingy
Old 7th July 2002, 11:50   #8
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
i don't have any of the symptoms, i am NORMAL, ya freaks :P. Sounds pretty cool though.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2002, 11:58   #9
7icha7d

Send a message via ICQ to 7icha7d
But, binary_hero do you remember when we used to try and ascribe colours to the sound of words, ignoring the meaning? or tastes to colours? I don't think I have it noticably but maybe I have it slightly or something cause the idea of associating sences always fascinated long before I read this thread and found it was a recognised phenomenon

"Curiosity, kitten, doesn't have to mean you're on your own"
7icha7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2002, 13:13   #10
deadrabbit
Major Dude

i read a long article on this in smithsonian magazine a couple years ago . . . a little piece of it you can read here. apparently, some of the colors associated with numbers are things like black speckled with copper . ..
deadrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2002, 20:11   #11
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Synesthesia is a great song by Porcupine Tree.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2002, 02:36   #12
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Vassily Kandinsky, the pioneer abstract master, was someone who experienced this phenomena- which is why he named his paintings like musical scores- improvisations, compositions etc.

http://metalab.unc.edu/wm/paint/auth...sky.comp-4.jpg
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2002, 02:46   #13
steak
Major Dude

I don’t really know if it’s the same thing, but I associate colours with months….dunno why,

For instance

January = Yellow
February = Black
March = Red
April = Yellow
May = White
June = Red
July = Yellow
August = Brown
September = Dark Green
October = Black
November = Dark Brown
December = Purple

Been the same all the way since I was a kiddie..
steak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2002, 02:59   #14
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Is it because those are the colors of the contruction paper you got to use around the year in kindergarten?
Old 8th July 2002, 04:53   #15
Khakionion

Send a message via ICQ to Khakionion Send a message via AIM to Khakionion Send a message via Yahoo to Khakionion
Looks like you can give it to your PS2, also. Has anyone played this? It looks so interesting....

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/166/166546p1.html
Khakionion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2002, 05:00   #16
Bop
Forum King

Blame it on the hippies!
[img]http://www.prevcentrum*****obr/drugs/lsd.jpg[/img]

ßoþL¡©¡†¥
Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2002, 05:19   #17
rm'
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes
Vassily Kandinsky, the pioneer abstract master, was someone who experienced this phenomena- which is why he named his paintings like musical scores- improvisations, compositions etc.

http://metalab.unc.edu/wm/paint/auth...sky.comp-4.jpg
Thanks... I was wondering about that.

Synesthesia is also a great musical group.
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2002, 05:31   #18
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

BTW, to all who care, the names of Kandinsky paintings were also somewhat revealing to how they worked on.

i.e- a composition was something planned, wheras an "improvisation" he simply just sat down and made up completely on the whim of the moment but maintaining an order to it...

Thus, his paintings have a sort of creative synergy with jazz music.
Old 8th July 2002, 06:43   #19
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

There's a discipline called Neuro-Linguistic Programming that applies linguistics and cybernetic models to human psychology. Above and beyond the phenomenon of synesthesia they found that most everyone has a preferred sense, usually visual, auditory, or kinesthetic (touch). You can usually determine what type a person falls into by listening to their verbal cues. For example, a visually oriented person would say something like “I see what you’re saying,” as a way of saying they understand something. An auditory person may say “I hear you man.” Kinesthetic, “I can grasp that.”

These are pretty obvious examples, but it’s interesting if you spend a day listening to your friends, co-workers, classmates, etc. and try to determine which they are.

It’s also useful to determine which is your preferred sense, as you can use different methods for memory and stuff like that. For example a visual person trying to remember the name of someone they just met would benefit much more from picturing the persons face next to their name than an auditory one would.
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2002, 14:16   #20
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman2012
For example, a visually oriented person would say something like “I see what you’re saying,” as a way of saying they understand something. An auditory person may say “I hear you man.” Kinesthetic, “I can grasp that.”
What about freaks like me who just say, "I understand"?

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

47 65 6C 61 65 64 2E 63 6F 6D 00
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions