Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

Old 21st November 2013, 02:24   #1
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Winamp is shutting down on Dec 20. What does that spell for the fate of GD?

Anybody who's been on reddit or the front page of Winamp.com has surely seen the memo by now:
Quote:
Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013
I'll assume that includes the forums. We all feared this day was coming; it was only a matter of time when.

It's quite obvious we need an escape plan. Right now we have an unutilized subreddit we could flock to: /r/WinampForums. I Also propose starting another forum. I could get one up and running this week.

Either way, we need to decide on something fast. Most of us have been here a decade or more; it would suck to lose contact with you guys after all these years. Like I said before, you're second family to me.

So what's the master plan? Time is running out...

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 02:42   #2
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I hope, that the Winamp Forums can move to another forums server. Also I myself moved with my own forums from an old server to a new server. My own forums are PHP-3 now (before moving they were PHP-2).

We have less than 1 month now, if we want to save the life of the Winamp Forums...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 02:56   #3
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Jedi Gemstone has set up a closed group on Facebook for us: https://www.facebook.com/groups/257066117784672/

Go and join it.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 03:38   #4
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post
I Also propose starting another forum. I could get one up and running this week.
Someone already owns winampforums.com but I have now bought winampforums.net; happy for someone else to setup/manage.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 05:02   #5
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
Someone already owns winampforums.com but I have now bought winampforums.net; happy for someone else to setup/manage.
yay! very cool sir. oh noes, hope, i has it.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 05:42   #6
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I am likely the most capable person to do this in that I have servers in place and could just do it, I don't see the point. Forums are dead. You'd basically be starting a new forum, and it's not something I'd do because forums are dead.

For somebody else to setup/manage... yeah no shit... I've ran a forum. It more or less sucks which is why I don't any more.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 05:43   #7
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
This is some crazy stuff.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 05:45   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

Does shoutcast.com stay up? Is webcasting finished? I note the Android player is branded "shoutcast", Does that stay?
Old 21st November 2013, 05:53   #9
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
I just recently discovered Winamp for Android. Pretty awesome I think. I even bought the Pro package.

Wasn't there an "escape plan" a few years ago?

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 05:58   #10
Jay
Moderator Alumni

There is probably no end to the options on a new forum space. I'd be glad to host as well. However getting everyone to agree on one place is going to be the challenge I foresee.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 06:05   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

There were some articles about this in April that AOL music was shutting down and handing out pink slips. This sort of leads me to believe AOL is out of the music business period.

http://www.quora.com/Harpreet-Singh-...ts-competitors
Old 21st November 2013, 06:17   #12
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
There were some articles about this in April that AOL music was shutting down and handing out pink slips. This sort of leads me to believe AOL is out of the music business period.

http://www.quora.com/Harpreet-Singh-...ts-competitors
Eh, not sure that little article is even worth mentioning, they think AOL acquired Nullsoft in 2009 the rest is based on speculations based on Twitter conversations.
Old 21st November 2013, 06:18   #13
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Before Christmas????????

Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 06:23   #14
Calrobowiz

wtF

Yea this is gay, I love winamp. They now have a mobile app along with there solid windows based one. (don't mind AVS its troubled) It has no problem with running mp3s on your system without being a resource hog. You can load a shit ton of songs into a play list with little to no lag. I don't want to rely on windows media player for every thing now. I haven't posted in quite a few years but I use the winamp program every day. Oh well, something else for adobe to buy. I’m going to save my avatar now, I think I made it when I was 13 using my first PC. A dell Pentium 2 processor based system with 64 mb of ram. Bought that way before the, “Dude your getting a Dell” guy came to be.

Calrobowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 06:44   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't think I would have to take my shoes off to count the number of you guys who are still active in discussions outside of tech support. Vbulletin is $250. I think it's the only practical BB that you could run in public without pulling your hair out.

Regretfully I think this thing has a fork sticking out of it, the little red thermometer popped. It's done.

I'm sad.
Old 21st November 2013, 07:59   #16
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Location: Switzerland Posts: The starting points at a racetrack.
I just read the news as well, made me come back to visit here after 4 years...although I am not active in the forums anymore it's still sad to see this go.

It's nice to see so many familiar names, hope you are all doing well
Mrs_Mia_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 08:32   #17
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

This isn't another wind up curtesy of Mr. Jones and Mod Corhorts per chance....sounds very like that madness teh certain Irish guy got up to a year or so back....

Just been to main page and I don't see anything about it closing....

mind if it does maybe something can be resurrected somewhere else.... I have a server not doing anything at the moment....Though before everyone goes mental registering loads of places best to see what is true or not....

that said, will be a sad day for the internetz.. winamp is kinda like one of it's institutions ....

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 08:40   #18
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Check the download page. This is very much an official timeline.
Old 21st November 2013, 08:45   #19
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Check the download page. This is very much an official timeline.
OMG

Maybe the guy's who originally made winamp will come back and save the day.... sure what else they gonna do with all those millions they made

Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

Old 21st November 2013, 08:52   #20
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Mia_Wallace View Post
I just read the news as well, made me come back to visit here after 4 years...although I am not active in the forums anymore it's still sad to see this go.

It's nice to see so many familiar names, hope you are all doing well
!!!

Whether a new site is agreed upon or not, you, missy, NEED to keep in contact with us. Tell me someone has your contact details. Hell, I'd even accept that someone being Bilbo.

Old 21st November 2013, 08:53   #21
Jay
Moderator Alumni

I wish, Justin is quoted as saying he is not interested. But now that it is real, you never know.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:16   #22
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
To be fair, we knew this would happen some day as soon as AOL bought Winamp out.

Still, it's nice to see so many people coming back at least.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 09:43   #23
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
I wish, Justin is quoted as saying he is not interested. But now that it is real, you never know.
Jay: Do you reckon the Mod CP, or whatever it's called these days, could be used to mass export users / profiles / PMs / forums / threads? Or failing that, once a new site is set up, to mass email all users to give everyone the new site info?

Old 21st November 2013, 09:45   #24
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Oh Shit... look at this I just found in teh comments on TechCrunch...

Quote:
Never quite knew what to do with it because you people mistreated it's original inventor - Dmitry, that is .... me! Call it karma or whatever... it was all about money for Justin and Rob Lord, as it turned out in the end. RIP my creation... FYI-I was the guy who created the original concept - that is MacAmp, suggested to create MP3 radio (ShoutCast) based on the player (and even that was inspired by XingTech radio on Solaris), and then gave the interface graphics that I made in Photoshop and AMP source code to Justin to make a port to Windows, and then it took off because of Windows popularity. Cassady & Greene copied the look and feel of my mac player (named their player SoundJam became very competitive because they had the dough to throw at it) and Apple acquired it because they were buddy-buddy w/ Apple and turned it into iTunes. That's the way the real story goes. Real inventor dies in poverty just like Tesla did while the rest of business type people get to live in total luxury that they don't know what to do with, or truly deserved. P.S. I also designed the original winamp/macamp logo- I will share a secret, since no one but me knows where it came from. It is a combination of old mac application icon (diamond shape) and a lightning bolt taken from BeBox power settings control panel icon. So there! proof is presented to verify my authenticity.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/20/aft...-down/?ncid=fb

If what he/she is saying is true and they can prove it as they say then why didn't he/she sue when the big bucks arrived?

Worms - CanFull - Opened

or winamp going out witha bang and a good ol internetz conspiracy LoL..

Old 21st November 2013, 09:59   #25
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Tom posted this on reddit:
Quote:
Hey, all. Tom Pepper here, one of the two founders (Justin being the greater of the two of us.) Just wanted to thank everyone for all the support over the years. While we haven't been involved w/ Nullsoft since the early 2000s it was incredible what you all did both for us, and for music. Our only goal was ever to make the tool we wanted to use, and it seemed to resonate with you all very clearly! I'm happy to still be working in the business, and here's to the next great ideas yet to come!
... and Justin posted this:
Quote:
Thanks Tom, that was a far nicer and more gracious comment than I could've made, hah. I strongly dispute your "greater" comment.
There's more: http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/c...ember_20_2013/

Old 21st November 2013, 10:03   #26
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Jay: Do you reckon the Mod CP, or whatever it's called these days, could be used to mass export users / profiles / PMs / forums / threads? Or failing that, once a new site is set up, to mass email all users to give everyone the new site info?
I don't remember the mod CP allowing that, not unless it has been modified, even then I highly doubt AOL would give that out due to privacy concerns.
Old 21st November 2013, 10:05   #27
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggle View Post
Oh Shit... look at this I just found in teh comments on TechCrunch...

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/20/aft...-down/?ncid=fb

If what he/she is saying is true and they can prove it as they say then why didn't he/she sue when the big bucks arrived?

Worms - CanFull - Opened

or winamp going out witha bang and a good ol internetz conspiracy LoL..
Not really, I remember there being disputes regarding Winamp's mp3 decoder origins way back in the day.
They dropped the AMP engine for Fraunhoffer code once AOL settled if memory serves me correctly.

I would probably rebuff his claims by saying, execution is what matters, not ideas.
Old 21st November 2013, 10:13   #28
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
I don't remember the mod CP allowing that, not unless it has been modified, even then I highly doubt AOL would give that out due to privacy concerns.
Never mind AOL's privacy concerns; if it's there, it should be taken before it's gone.

Old 21st November 2013, 10:17   #29
DrO

mod cp will not allow for it and i think Jay is about right on the nose about access to data irrespective of what may or may not happen with it.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 10:45   #30
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
The only way that could be done is to migrate the database [faik] which is not that difficult - sure if someone payed AOL enough they'd allow it...

Old 21st November 2013, 10:53   #31
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
The only way that could be done is to migrate the database [faik] which is not that difficult - sure if someone payed AOL enough they'd allow it...
Where is the challenge in that? Someone is already scrapping the hell out of AOL servers getting ever nugget of information off the servers as we speak. Which is amusing if not some what concerning.
Old 21st November 2013, 10:53   #32
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Not really, I remember there being disputes regarding Winamp's mp3 decoder origins way back in the day.
They dropped the AMP engine for Fraunhoffer code once AOL settled if memory serves me correctly.

I would probably rebuff his claims by saying, execution is what matters, not ideas.
Kinda remember that - was before I joined - which was just after winamp was sold if I remember right...

though from what I'm reading there the guy is saying that was way before AOL bought winamp... back when it was just at teh beginnings... i agree with what you say execution not ideas but if what he is saying is right then the idea had been executed....

i just don't why it would take all this time for them to bring it up....

Old 21st November 2013, 10:55   #33
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Location: Gent, Belgium. does anybody know where the toilets are?
Send a message via ICQ to simon snowflake
Though I wasn't really active the last years, it really saddens me to see winamp.com closing.

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Join the Winamp Enthusiasts Forum - Join the Winamp Skin Love facebook group:
simon snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 10:56   #34
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
i just don't why it would take all this time for them to bring it up....
Attention I am sure. Wiki has a referenced article listing a guy he is claiming to be as one of the original programmers. However it makes none of the claims he is making, in fact it lists him as an employee of Nullsoft. The AMP decoding engine was released under license as freeware by another individual. So even still, he can't claim credit for the decoding engine.

So yea he could have created all that but why didn't he dispute media reports that he was a hired employee of Nullsoft which would make him subordinate to Justin.
Old 21st November 2013, 11:01   #35
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Where is the challenge in that? Someone is already scrapping the hell out of AOL servers getting ever nugget of information off the servers as we speak. Which is amusing if not some what concerning.
There is none...al ye do is install a new setup of vBulletin /export the database /import to new setup /re-edit teh custom plugins/code etc (Or just request the up to date live code copy to save hassle) and Voila... no one would know the differnce really...

Then we could all go back to counting to 1 million, postings kittys for widdy, banning 007 (How you will miss that then eh mods ) , post bumping and the usual general mayhem and madness that is as much a part of internetz folklore as that uppity little upstart FB could ever hope to achieve the accolade of....

Sure there ye go Marky Z.... something worthwhile to do with your billions... save the best music player this side of a Llama's butt....

Old 21st November 2013, 11:32   #36
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

http://www.winampforums.com

It's a start.

Old 21st November 2013, 11:35   #37
DrO

gah, i'd just registered winampforum.com - this is getting too messy too soon with people doing different things (as been trying to sort out a few things since last night).
Old 21st November 2013, 12:06   #38
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
gah, i'd just registered winampforum.com - this is getting too messy too soon with people doing different things (as been trying to sort out a few things since last night).
same thing happened when stage6 closed down.. reckon folk should wait and get something together collectively or see if winamp is bought and will continue... reckon the latter might happen myself...

Old 21st November 2013, 12:09   #39
DrO

well i've already committed to what i'm trying to achieve for things (as a place for remaining support / plug-ins / misc related stuff), just thought i'd be in before anyone else to avoid such things happening *shrugs*
Old 21st November 2013, 12:10   #40
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Yup, I believe the best course of action is to actually put decisions together amongst some of the more important members of the community first, rather than everyone trying to throw together services.

I have resources as well but I will refrain unless they are needed.

Maybe you could combine those two domains to form one service.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions