Old 3rd May 2003, 17:36   #1
bradco

User's Guide

I'm brand new to WinAmp, and came over from MediaPlayer not too long ago, where I was a light user. I know WinAmp is better in many ways. However, if someone is new to a web-based media player, I don't see where to get some basic guidance in using the thing !!

This site tells me to look up in the FAQ's and in previous posts. Still, I would think that a beginner's "User's Guide" would be a prominent link on the Win Amp homepage.

Up to this point, I know how to find, bookmark and listen to an internet radio station. But, this morning, I popped in an audio CD and tried to figure out how to play it in WinAmp. I spent a lot of time trying to get it to play, and just couldn't figure out. What's more, where to find a basic user's guide by searching Google or by searching this site ?

Would appreciate a referral or link to a basic guide that explains not only the buttons, but the concepts: This is for a user that has previously played music on a standard stereo. So, what is a playlist ? How does one work with it ? How do you play an audio CD ? Never, mind downloading or burning CD's, just basic operations and concepts. Thank you.
Old 3rd May 2003, 17:57   #2
m0e
This Space For Rent
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to m0e Send a message via AIM to m0e Send a message via Yahoo to m0e
There is no comprehensive "user's guide" for Winamp. The forum mods (a completely volunteer job) have done a very good job compileing(?) the FAQ's and if you read through them you will find the answers or links to the answers to most of your questions.Although the forums are provided by Nullsoft/AOL for the most part they are maintained by a community of end user's such as yourself

[edit]Here is a link to the official Winamp3 FAQ. The FAQ on the page you got to here from also covers a number of issues and provides links for problems not addressed in the official FAQ.[/edit]
Old 3rd May 2003, 19:26   #3
nierke

But Winamp is so simple program, all funkcions are organized, what problems could there be? I think that there is no need for user guide, I like to discover new posibilities of a program by my self.

...:::nierke:::...
Old 4th May 2003, 08:46   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by bradco

But, this morning, I popped in an audio CD and tried to figure out how to play it in WinAmp. I spent a lot of time trying to get it to play, and just couldn't figure out.
Insert the CD. Right-click anywhere on the main Winamp3 window. From the drop-down choices, select Play > Audio CD X: (where X is your CD drive letter)
Quote:

So, what is a playlist ? How does one work with it ?
Playlist Editor Walkthrough
Read more on handling Playlists HERE and HERE.
Quote:

This site tells me to look up in the FAQ's and in previous posts. Still, I would think that a beginner's "User's Guide" would be a prominent link on the Win Amp homepage.

What's more, where to find a basic user's guide by searching Google or by searching this site ?
You want a User's Guide/Tutorial? There are many ways to obtain answers, help or support...

There is an Overview
There is a Walkthrough
There is a FAQ
There is Tech Support Greatest Hits > Winamp3 Tutorials
And in the forums there is the The Winamp3 FAQ and Build/Release Information, and the Winamp3 Troubleshooter Guide, both of which hold answers to many questions.
There is supposed to be (not yet) an Online Help section, but the BEST way to obtain support is right here in the forums. If you need support for problems you might be having with Winamp3, then post within the Winamp3 Technical Support forum.
And most importantly, you should always Search the forums FIRST for an answer, before posting.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 7th May 2003, 02:49   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Does it really say "up for more treble, down for more bass"?

/me goes to take a look

By Jove, so it does. lol
Old 7th May 2003, 02:52   #6
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Yep. It does. LOL. Watadoo is right of course. Lobbying to have the description fixed for 3 years??? That's ridiculous. Needs changing now. Matter of fact, a LOT of things need to be updated/changed, including the release date on the http://www.winamp.com main page. Still says the latest Winamp3 version was released 12.18.2002, and that's just SOOOOOO WRONG!!! People are given incorrect and outdated info.

Webmaster is seriously slacking IMHO.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion