Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 7th October 2011, 05:43   #1
sammynyc718

HELP Needed. How to transfer Winamp playlist from GUEST to ADMIN Account ? ?

Hello everyone. I recently upgraged to Winamp Full Version 5.601 because i hated Windows Media Player and I'm having only 1 problem now. Pleaseee help. Anybody.

Okay so this is my GUEST account . . .

Now the problem is when i switch over to OWNER Account (aka Administrator) the files are not on that playlist.

*Note: the files are in the SAME FOLDER and this music folder has 'sharing' enabled so i know for a fact that is not the problem.

I really need to solve this because i have a whole discography of 2pac music that i have to sort through and do all over again if i dont figure out how to transfer this. So please for the love of god if there is anybody out there who has experienced this or knows a way around it help me.
sammynyc718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 09:30   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i don't have an exact answer but winamp will store prefs and settings and so on PER USER.

i'm sure that aspect is related to this.

btw, did u mean to say 6.621?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 13:44   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi sammynyc718,

As MrSinatra said, the Winamp settings are stored separately for each account. To
get you started you have to copy the folders containing this info from your user
account folders to your administrator account folders.

Exit Winamp and turn on hidden folders, files and drives in Windows explorer (Tools -
Folder Options - View), if they are not already enabled. Then open the "Users" folder on
your C: drive. You should see a folder with the name of your user (guest) account and
a folder with the name of your admin account. Under your user account folder is an
"AppData" folder, under it is a "Roaming" folder. In the "Roaming" folder is a "Winamp"
folder and subfolders. Copy this "Winamp" folder and its subfolders to the "AppData" -
"Roaming" folder under your admin account.

This will let Winamp start in the admin account with all the info from the last time you
used it under the user account. But from now on, the Winamp data saved (such as the
active playlist, media library changes, etc) with be different in the two accounts. There
is no automatic way to keep them in sync.

Also, if you use 3rd party plugins that do not store their settings in the AppData -
Roaming - Winamp folders, you may have to reset them the first time you run Winamp
under the admin account (if their settings are stored in the registry). These plugins
must be setup the same way for both accounts if their settings are stored someplace
else.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 15:24   #4
ujay
Forum King

There used to be an option to save winamp settings to the same folder for all users.

Take a look in your main Winamp folder for the file 'paths.ini' and edit it to point it at the new pathname instead.(usually your main Winamp folder) and copy your appdata settings over

I haven't look at this in years so can't be sure it will solve all your problems.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 18:58   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
btw, did u mean to say 6.621?
5.621 rather?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 01:15   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujay View Post
There used to be an option to save winamp settings to the same folder for all users.

Take a look in your main Winamp folder for the file 'paths.ini' and edit it to point it at the new pathname instead.(usually your main Winamp folder) and copy your appdata settings over

I haven't look at this in years so can't be sure it will solve all your problems.

UJ
Hi ujay,

After installation, Win 7 does not want apps to write changing data to the main folders
under "Program Files ..." and "ProgamData". It wants this data written in the users
data folders. It tries to 'trick' apps into following this process when they don't do it
natively. Compatibility modes are enhanced ways to trick apps into following this
process. Apps hard coded to use main folders (like some 3rd party plugins) may have
problems running, saving changes, closing, etc.

Also, as before Vista/Win 7, access is blocked to another user's data folders unless you
are running an administrator account.

Your suggestion may work if the appropriate Winamp folders are copied (moved?) to
the "Users - Default - AppData - Roaming" folder. If this works, it would also solve the
sync issue.
Old 11th October 2011, 01:59   #7
ujay
Forum King

Thanks Aminifu, sounds like a plan.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 04:18   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi ujay,

Came across the following info on "paths.ini" and a tool to edit it.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/pathsini/index.html

Now someone needs to test the suggested process. I have a single user system
and thus have no need to do this. Hopefully the OP will post back.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support