Old 27th May 2002, 01:41   #1
buddy139913

Send a message via AIM to buddy139913
Skin Advice

Okay, I need some help on this skin... It's transparent, but that's not the prob... I need help on the buttons. They're kinda umm ... how should I put it... oh yeah, duh! Just like the original! I need some ideas!

A pic of it is here... So click it already!

Okay, so as u can tell the buttons r BORING!!! Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated! Thankx!
buddy139913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2002, 01:55   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Hmm...Interesting use of transparency, it makes the playlist look a bit square though. The buttons are a tad unoriginal as you say, I'd suggest making them bubbles too. Also, the playlist looks a little plain, its too flat compared to the rest, maybe add some sort of bevel to that to give it a slight 3d look.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2002, 02:04   #3
buddy139913

Good Ideas...

I was gonna make the play-list with bubbles, but, sadly, I don't really get the skinning of the playlist, and I also lost the original bubble picture made in the 3-d program! Maybe I can re-find it, and use the bevel. I will definately make the buttons bubbles, but what should the play, pause, and etc. designs be like? Uhh, I have too many questions! Well, I'm gonna go work on it now!
Old 27th May 2002, 02:13   #4
buddy139913

Good Ideas...

I was gonna make the play-list with bubbles, but, sadly, I don't really get the skinning of the playlist, and I also lost the original bubble picture made in the 3-d program! Maybe I can re-find it, and use the bevel. I will definately make the buttons bubbles, but what should the play, pause, and etc. designs be like? Uhh, I have too many questions! Well, I'm gonna go work on it now!
Old 27th May 2002, 02:33   #5
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

It'd be kinda cool if you could make some small play/pause/stop etc. symbols look like they were inside the bubbles.
Old 27th May 2002, 07:50   #6
StillWater
Forum King

This is cool! please post it here once it's fully completed.

It seems to me that the skin is begging to have the cbuttons on the side of the bubbles. Do you know what I mean? I mean that they'd be in pretty much the same place, but curved around the 3d surface of the spheres. However, Atmo's inside-the-bubble suggestion isn't a bad one.

I'd really get rid of that posbar thing. If I were you, I'd make the pos bar identical to that section of the main.bmp (ie. invisible) and just have the position bar bubble floating across. That big light-blue bar kind of wrecks the skin a bit. Maybe if you made the little position bar bubble a different colour than blue (like tourquoise or something) then it would stand out sufficiently from the rest of the skin, and it wouldn't need that big blue bar.

The PL looks very square in comparison, but I don't actually think that's a bad thing. The playlist is one of those things that you don't really want too wild, since it has to be very rigidly functional. The juxtaposition of the bubbles and the square seems to work well enough.

The EQ sliders look they want to be bubbles to .

I hope you change the PL button layout. At the moment they look just like the original ones but in a different colour.

I'm not the biggest fan of the monochrome amber colour you've got going on everywhere. Something a bit softer, more fluid or more subtle would work beter, I think.

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2002, 17:22   #7
buddy139913

This is gonna take me a while...
Old 27th May 2002, 17:39   #8
buddy139913

Okay, I know I'm putting up too many replies, but I want to turn the slider (posbar) thing into bubbles, but there's one problem... For the slider on it, it will mess up the entire image if I make it a big ugly rectangle. How can I make it see through? Like in Act II Finale, how do they make the slider so small? Also in Divine, the slider is small. So... if anyone knows how to do that, it will be greatly appreciated.

I finally re-found the original bubble picture! Woo-Hoo! That will help me in updating it! I knew it was somwhere in the mess I call my computer.

My idea (Well, actually yours!) for the buttons is either the inside the bubble (which I'm having an extremely hard time doing in Rhino 2.0 (3-D image generator)), or having it so it's just little words, like Pl (Play) Pa (Pause) Ne (Next) Ba (Back) with the little pictures over them, and heve them curve with the bubbles.

Umm, I'm going to bevel the playlist, and also make the words in there different. This will definately take me a LONG time. But... I guess skins are supposed to take this long! I'll just have to lack on my homework! Who cares, this is more fun than homework!
Old 27th May 2002, 18:21   #9
Reanimation

Open it in MSPaint (i find it easyer in paint) and crop as much as u want off it.

But beware if you crop the slider buttons weird things happen.... As i found out
Reanimation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2002, 18:27   #10
dam
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to dam
This skin is so original.I dont like the yellow though

Like Dragon Ninja said just crop the bitmap.
dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2002, 18:55   #11
buddy139913

Okay, I ***THINK*** I got the posbar to look okay.

I have a screenshot of it here, so just click!

BTW, I'm going to make 2 versions, one with Aqua, one with Orange. I myself like the orange better because I like it when the colors clash, and I also think the orange looks more summer(ishy).

Next for the c-buttons! Brainstorming time! Uh, this is gonna take a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggg time.

Then to the easiest, the playlist. Just gotta change text, and bevel that. *Easy!*

Schedualed completion date... June 5th, same day as my b-day! It'll be a nice present from myself to myself!
Old 27th May 2002, 18:56   #12
Jellby
Major Dude

You want to know how to make something like that skin over there? Well, download 'that skin over there' and see how it is made, as simple as it sounds

Unfortunately, the shape of the posbar slider can't be changed, it will always be rectangular, you can only fake transparency, and only when the background (the posbar) is the same colour from left to right. As Dragon Ninja says, you can crop it. If you crop it vertically (decrease height), nothing strange happens, you just get a somewhat smaller posbar and slider. If you crop it horizontally, however (make it shorter), the slider start to disappear and weird things happen. In volume and balance you can safely crop the sliders, though.

[edit]You call 5th june a long time???? Welcome to the skinning world Just another suggestion: change the sliders, all of them, they are too similar to the base ones.

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Then be not so quick to deal out death in judgement.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2002, 20:53   #13
buddy139913

Okay, it's now going pretty fast! I just finished dinner, so this is a little delayed. I changed the c-buttons. Thell me if you like them, and if A lot of ppl do, then I will make the buttons smaller, and use them.

Click here to see how it's coming!

Well, I think it might be done sooner than June 5th! Woo-Hoo!
<---That one's kewl!
Old 28th May 2002, 00:16   #14
buddy139913

Okay, it's coming along vedy vedy good. I made it so the buttons on the playlist are now bubbles (still finishing them tho...), but I'm too dam* lazy to update the wesite, so maybe you'll have a screen-shot tomorrow! My (hand) beveling turned out *okay. But it looks kewlwer now.
Old 28th May 2002, 01:54   #15
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Its looking much better.
Old 28th May 2002, 07:49   #16
StillWater
Forum King

buddy139913,

You still haven't fixed the posbar a la "Act 2 Finale". I think that that style of posbar would be very suited to this skin. As Jellby said, if you want to know how Act 2 Finale acheived that, just rename it from WSZ to ZIP, open it, and check out the posbar.bmp. To make an "Act 2 Finale"-style posbar is actually very easyt. You might want to do a similar thing with the volume and balance (although you might not)

The cbuttons look allright. Smaller, and inside the bubbles or wrapped around them, and they should look quite good indeed.

However, I would really recommend that you put just a smigdeon of texture into all the yellow parts, rather than leaving them monochrome.

Can't wait to see the finished thing.

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Old 28th May 2002, 22:00   #17
buddy139913

Slider Thingie and Updates! Woo-Hoo!

I think I might leave the slider the same size, since I cannot think of a design for a very small one, and I said I was gonna add a screenshot, so here it is!

Click Here

The main area of improvement is the Playlist, which has been dramatically changed since last time. I like the bubbles instead of the old design for the buttons.

For the Equaliser and the main slider things I'm going to bevel the edges of the buttons, and maybe change the design on them. So then they will look more original. I was thinking about making them bubbles, but then it would be hard to actually tell that they are bubbles. The reason being if I were to shrink it down that far, it would look like crap. Next I'm doing the equaliser, then moving onto the main window again.

I have good ideas now! Thank god for the boring classes in school when there's nothing to do, but draw stuff!

BTW, don't expect much to happen tomorrow, I'm going to see Spider-Man. So, I'll try and do as much as I can possibli do tonight!
Old 29th May 2002, 01:51   #18
buddy139913

I've beveled some of the buttons, beveled the AVS, and the Mini Browser. I'm slowly but shurely changing the text buttons to Times New Roman font. I;m done with the majority of things, and it will probably be done before June 5th. Sometime this weekend I predict.
Old 29th May 2002, 05:42   #19
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Definate improvements..The playlist looks much better now, it's still a little simplistic compared to the rest though, perhaps some sort of lighting effect might help. Just a suggestion.
Old 29th May 2002, 07:06   #20
StillWater
Forum King

My suggestion for the posbar would be to do a simple one pixel line, similar to Act 2 Finale, with long 1-pixel line going from one end of the skin or without.

On the screenshot, it looks like your Position bar is narrower than usual. Did you crop it?
Because if you cropped it like that it will make it do crappy stuff when you slide it.

You seem to have pixel bugs above the EQ, PL, REPEAT and STEREO buttons/indicators. And is that small dark rectangle in the MONOarea supposed to be there?

The left most space for numbers (just next to the playpaus) is in the way of that bubble's reflection. You could move that reflection very easily and no one would be the wiser.

Old 29th May 2002, 09:08   #21
Jellby
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by dbleja
And is that small dark rectangle in the MONO area supposed to be there?
It's not a rectangle it's the word 'mono' in black. Buddy, you could use a lighter blue colour for it and it wouldn't clash so much.

Many who live deserve death, some who die deserve life - can you give it to them?
Then be not so quick to deal out death in judgement.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2002, 09:36   #22
StillWater
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jellby

It's not a rectangle it's the word 'mono' in black. Buddy, you could use a lighter blue colour for it and it wouldn't clash so much.
It is too! Because of the resolution on my computer, I need to have my face right up to the monitor to read it.

Old 29th May 2002, 20:14   #23
buddy139913

I'll probably do the posbar 2 day. I haven't cropped any of the images, fyi. Umm, I'll try a light effect on the equaliser, but I'm using Adobe, so it'll be a lil difficult. There are really REALLY little things here and there no one noticed! For the mono and stereo buttons, I'm going to try and get a lil pic of a small speaker (not the box, an actual speaker (the thing inside the speaker box 4 those of u who aren't getting what I'm saying.)). I'll have one speaker for Mono, and 2 for Stereo. I've cleaned up a whole buncha stuff since the last pic, and also made the thing attached to the close, minimize buttons yellow. I'll post a ss when it's more updated. Not much will happen today, or tomorrow, or the day after. (Today, Spider-Man, tomorrow, Concert, day after, somthing for school.)
So, don't expect much to happen, until the weekend!
Old 30th May 2002, 05:06   #24
Nyadach

Very nice! email me when you finish, i definitely want that skin, quite bubblicious!

N'yadach
Nyadach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2002, 19:52   #25
buddy139913

I Actually Got a New SS!!!

Okay, this is what I did in the past 3 days...

Click Here

Tell me what u think, and if anything else needs some improving. I know somthing does, but I just can't figure out what!
Old 1st June 2002, 03:16   #26
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Perhaps you could change the minimise/windshade/close buttons so they dont look quite so square. Maybe make each button a bubble or something.
Old 1st June 2002, 07:21   #27
PeaceMaker
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to PeaceMaker
those \//\X buttons look like a golf tee flag
PeaceMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2002, 08:34   #28
dude883
Major Dude

how about 3 bubbles in a row on the titlebar instead of that flag? maybe a little more color depth on the blue.
dude883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2002, 15:00   #29
StillWater
Forum King

I agree with both of dude883's suggestions. 3 bubbles, not connected to the rest of the skin would look good.

Even if you just put the background pic through any image-manipulating program and heightened the contrast, it would be a big improvement.

Old 1st June 2002, 17:10   #30
not in santiago

I agree with everybody else: more bubbles! More roundness!

Because I like making things extra hard for people, I'd like to encourage you to replace all (alright then, most) square objects with round ones. Sliders, for one. I also think your Posbar could be a bit more bubbly. You could make it out of three small bubbles, and make the background the dark blue of your skin bg. You wouldn't have a 100% transparency effect, but if you're not a stickler about such things, it might be alright. (At least it wouldn't look like you're trying to pop your bubbles when you play a song )

I don't really like the control buttons. I think you should try softer, more round shapes. For example, instead of a >> use a ))

I'm also glad you're doing an aqua coloured version of this skin. I think you'll find most people partial to light blue than yellow. (The blue and yellow reminds me of our school sports uniforms back in the day )

This skin is quite challenging! I commend you for taking it on!
not in santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2002, 19:18   #31
buddy139913

Okay, I'm not quite done yet... I'm not quite posting a ss yet either. The bubbles still need some more softening.

Question here, yes, I STILL have more questions.

Okay should I only do the top bar bubbley like or should I also do the one connected to the eq bubbly like too?

I would really REALLY love to have it so the buttons were bubbles and stuff, but unfortunately I really REALLY like it to look like stuff is transparent. I think it's mainly because on my old skins, I never used the fake transparency, so it looked like Llama s*it.

I think my 3-D program is gonna go psycho from over-use. I always like to do that to programs, Winamp, my 3-D program, etc...

I found the Main background bubbles. but not the EQ, since they were two different renderings.

P.S. Already thinking about my next skin... I'm going from cut and bubbly to....................................................................
......................................................................(That was enough dots!) ...............................................................
....................................................(Well, not really.) Dark and ugly. I'm actually gonna do a dark skin, my second one ever!
My first was never published, and my computer crashed, so I lost it.
. It was cool, and called Death Amp.
I think I'm gonna call it "IT", due to the claws on it like the ones from Pennywise the clown.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins