Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion

Old 2nd May 2005, 06:58   #1

ipod directory is suddenly blank; winamp shows it as intact; help?

So I've been using ml_ipod since the beginning. I have a 40-gig iPod; I got it in December. It caused me no problems until yesterday. I turned it on once out of the house, and the directory was completely blank. When I finally plugged it into my computer (Windows 98) and fired up Winamp, it shows my directory as being intact. Every song is still on there. I'm listening to it right now!

However, when I eject the iPod, nothing again. Plug it back in again, and there it is!

Is there . . . something I can do to make it . . . portable again?

Thanks.
108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 04:41   #2

yeah, i still haven't fixed this. i've been combing the internet for a solution and it's just not happening. these have been the saddest days of my life. kind of.
Old 6th May 2005, 13:01   #3
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Right click on the iPod icon in the media library and go "Probe iPod for lost music"?

Can you clarify: the songs arn't showing on the iPod. But the songs ARE showing in winamp?

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 08:15   #4
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
This happened to me once...

In ml_iPod it seemed as if everything is okay - it showed all the files that are in the iPod, but when browsing the fils via the iPod itself, most of them were gone (or at least seem to be gone).

Since I didn't know what to do about this, I had to format my iPod...

YtseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2005, 06:45   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by will
Can you clarify: the songs arn't showing on the iPod. the songs ARE showing in winamp?
Yeah, they're showing in the Winamp media library every time. I have ml_ipod 1.14 and everything; no problems detecting the iPod itself, no problems with anything else. Just -- when I eject it, the iPod shows as blank. My precious hard drive is also full of all my precious files. It hasn't been wiped or destroyed or anything. It just . . . well.

Currently listening to my iPod in an internet cafe. I came here because they have Windows XP and I figure I MUST fix it before my twelve-hour flight to LA on Friday. GAAAH.

Thanks in advance. Yes!!
Old 10th May 2005, 08:35   #6
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Ok, could you zip and email me your \iPod_Control\iTunes\ directory on your ipod to will dot fisher at gmail dot com?

You may have to turn the "show hidden files" option in windows explorer etc.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2005, 20:25   #7
shelly25

The very same thing happened to me and it was really heartbreaking.

So I formatted my iPod and put everything back on (40 gigs).

Then it happened again. So I have to do it all over again.

Unhiding the folders didn't help, either, as they all got reset back to hidden each time.

Probing for lost music didn't do anything, either.
shelly25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 07:29   #8
callit

Send a message via AIM to callit
I'm also having this problem. 20gig 2G iPod, ml_iPod 1.20, Windows XP Pro, Winamp 5.091.

My music is still intact and showing in the media library when I connect my iPod, however the iPod itself is not showing any files.

I've tried a few things, but have been unsuccessful on the whole. I have over 4000 mp3s, and the iPod is almost full.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
callit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 10:26   #9
BilSouter

Send a message via AIM to BilSouter
This happened to me, as well. But I only 'lost' about half my music. But I only 'lost' them on the iPod... when hooked to ml_iPod they were all there. When I used 'Probe for Lost Music' nothing happened.

I had just added a new cd to the iPod and made a new Playlist with music from that new cd and when I went to eject, it wouldn't... not through WinAmp, not through the systray, not through My Computer...

After re-booting my PC, reinstalling ml_iPod 1.2 and resetting my iPod I was able to Eject through WinAmp and now all the music is showing up in the iPod but I still can't see any of my Playlists and can't create any new playlist onto the iPod. They're all there in ml_iPod in WinAmp but none show on the iPod. Very frustrating....
BilSouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 10:29   #10
BilSouter

Oops... 20 gig 2G Ipod, WinXP Home, WinAmp 5.091, ml_iPod 1.2p
Old 7th June 2005, 20:59   #11
BilSouter

Unhappy Update....

Well, it seems that most of my songs are not showing up on my iPod after all...

When I used it today, since I couldn't use my Playlists, I used Shuffle... I noticed pretty quick that there seemed to be a pretty small selection it was picking from. When I checked the song list most were gone.

When I go to the 'Settings/About' it says I have used 18.5 GB, 3.7 GB available, 126 songs.

When I connect to WinAmp it says I have used 18.04 GB, 3.14 GB available, 2811 songs.

So my iPod is missing 2685 songs.... I am not happy...
--------------------------------------------------------
20 GB iPod, WinXP Home w/SP2, WinAmp 5.091, ml_iPod 1.20
Old 10th June 2005, 23:30   #12
callit

Alright - I'm running sort of a monotonous test, but here's what I've found:

I'm transfering files about 150-250 at a time in alphabetical order by artist.... That is, all the artists beginning with A first, B next, C, and so on. I select all the artists, right click, click "Send To" -> "ipod" and let it run. Then I close winamp, taskbar eject the ipod, and check to see if files are showing up. So far, they seem to be showing up as expected (although two artists are oddly out of alphabetical order).

I just finished with G, so it's either a problem with Syncing my entire audio collection at once, or some sort of conflict that I may discover later (similar to the 0 second song issue). I'll keep yall updated if I find anything that triggers the 'missing music'.
Old 11th June 2005, 00:33   #13
BilSouter

I gave up.. I couldn't do anything to the iPod. I tried hooking back to iTunes and it said the iPod was corrupt and I needed to 'restored', i.e. reformat. I had to reload everything back on through iTunes.
------------------------------------------------------
20 GB iPod, WinXP Home w/SP2, WinAmp 5.091, ml_iPod 1.20
Old 11th June 2005, 00:41   #14
callit

actually, I'm slowly increasing the number of songs I'm transfering at once, and still no problems. I think there might be a problem with Sync.

My current step is getting all my music onto the ipod via Send To. My next step is to try hitting the Sync button. If that blanks the ipod database, I would think that would narrow it down a bit.
Old 17th June 2005, 21:32   #15
callit

another update: After about 3700 songs (approx 16GB) I encountered a problem. After disconnecting the iPod, it would not load the player software. It just sat there with the apple logo. So I reset it, put it in disk mode, and just left it on my computer for a while (since I didn't feel like messing with it).

I finally got around to playing with it some more, did a probe for lost music. Still no results. Started another probe, and decided that I didn't want to wait for it, so I closed winamp (which promptly crashed). Opened winamp back up, and was going to start from scratch to see if it was a certain song or set of songs, or if it was at a certain capacity (be it on disk, or in the DB).

I hit format in winamp, got a Could Not Format; Disk in Use error. I closed winamp, ejected the ipod, and my settings were reset, but the music seemed intact. So I re-connected it, moved another 300 or so songs over, and got the same thing when I disconnected - just sat there with the apple logo.

I put it back in disk mode, reconnected it, and figured I'd put the last 200 songs on. Now I'm sitting here with an iPod that refuses to be an iPod. I really hate iTunes, and am determined to figure out what is wrong, and how I can make winamp work.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them. Otherwise, I'm gonna keep tinkering.

EDIT: upon removing the iTunesDB file from the iPod, the unit would actually load into the music player. Of course, no music or playlists show up. The file is about 3.7MB.

Last edited by callit; 17th June 2005 at 22:02.
Old 20th June 2005, 21:57   #16
ZDD

I've had a similar problem, but not the exact same. I'm using a very new (2 months) IPod Mini 4GB. It has been working just fine since I've had it, no problems. (I've got about 3.8GB of music on there)

When I downloaded and tried MLIpod the other day, it worked awesome! I loved it. Was listening to music just fine and was going to switch from ITunes. However, the next day, I turned my ipod on and boom! No songs whatsoever. I can open the ipod in Windows Explorer and the files are still there, but no song list in EITHER the ipod, mlipod, OR iTunes. Crazy. I'd really like to know a solution to this because the software was great. :-)

The only thing I can think that might've cause it is either closing winamp abruptly (but not crashing it) or putting my computer into standby while the ipod was connected, and winamp was open (but not playing).

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
ZDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 23:12   #17
callit

Ok, following advice from another thread, I fixed the 'apple logo/constant ipod reboot' error by cleaning up my tags. I don't know which tags were offending, but I deleted alot of unnecessary comments along with fixing alot of broken tags.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting empty song lists using the ml_ipod Sync. I'm going to try using Send To next to see if there's any improvement.
Old 29th June 2005, 23:56   #18
callit

Follow up: Okay, So I tried transfering my just over 4000 songs to my ipod alphabetically, about 1000 at a time. First 1000 went fine, same with next 2 (For a total of 3000 songs) Disconnect the ipod, everything looks fine, music is showing up as expected.

I then used send to to send my last thousand files, and it happens again. No apparent reason, the ipod insists there are no files. So I format, and send over that exact thousand files again, and interestingly enough, it works. This would seem to point away from it being any specific song file that would be causing it.

I'm going to work on the assumption that there are too many files or too much information being stored in the DB for now, so my current workaround is to transfer my songs rated 3 and above. Seems to be working (approx 2400 songs)
Old 30th June 2005, 12:02   #19
BilSouter

Quote:
Originally posted by callit
Follow up: Okay, So I tried transfering my just over 4000 songs to my ipod alphabetically, about 1000 at a time. First 1000 went fine, same with next 2 (For a total of 3000 songs) Disconnect the ipod, everything looks fine, music is showing up as expected.

I then used send to to send my last thousand files, and it happens again. No apparent reason, the ipod insists there are no files. So I format, and send over that exact thousand files again, and interestingly enough, it works. This would seem to point away from it being any specific song file that would be causing it.

I'm going to work on the assumption that there are too many files or too much information being stored in the DB for now, so my current workaround is to transfer my songs rated 3 and above. Seems to be working (approx 2400 songs)
Thanks for going through this process...

I had approx. 2800 songs on my iPod when they disappeared. I've gone back to iTunes (yech!) because I don't want to have to redo all my playlists everytime ml_iPod crashes my iPod. I'm still waiting for even a mere recognition from 'the powers that be' on here that this is a real issue and is being looked into.... It seems that you are the only one doing anything about it. I'm glad you have the time to work on it. I, unfortunatly, am too busy right now to deal with it.

Thanks again for your work.
Old 30th June 2005, 17:19   #20
callit

I'm only trying to provide as much information as possible. I don't know if it's my 2g being finickey, or if there is some real size issue at hand (or a combination). It could be that the 2g's have somewhat different requirements than the later versions.

I'm just hoping that the issue gets resolved so I can use winamp's library in it's full glory. My main reason for wanting winamp is it handles randomly added files to the music directory without having to manually add them to the library. For the time being, I've got my workaround though. I'm just glad to see this isn't an isolated problem on my end.
Old 7th July 2005, 11:05   #21
traker

Send a message via Yahoo to traker
Quote:
Originally posted by BilSouter
Thanks for going through this process...

I had approx. 2800 songs on my iPod when they disappeared. I've gone back to iTunes (yech!) because I don't want to have to redo all my playlists everytime ml_iPod crashes my iPod. I'm still waiting for even a mere recognition from 'the powers that be' on here that this is a real issue and is being looked into.... It seems that you are the only one doing anything about it. I'm glad you have the time to work on it. I, unfortunatly, am too busy right now to deal with it.

Thanks again for your work.
The problem is self inflicted it has happened to me twice now. You are diconnecting the iPod before its finished doing its thing. Make sure you used the eject button if you do not, you are disconnecting the iPod while its still working thus currupting the database. If you can't eject it using the button close winamp and open it back up then try ejecting I have had no futher problems since I have started using the eject button.
traker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2005, 15:51   #22
timeshifting

After reading this and other threads, I'm wondering whether dodgy ID3 tags could the cause? I'm using ml_iPod v1.2 (with the latest version of Winamp & XP Pro) without any problems whatsoever with two different iPod's; My almost 4yo 20GB 2G and my baby sister's 15GB 3G.

I've copied 3900 songs (20GB worth) in one go to the larger one several times without any problems, and got a whopping 12MB/s transfer rate! (I feel gipped having put up with ephpod's 4.6MB/s all these years, and thinking it was a limitation of my iPod -- thanks Will! And a 15GB set to the 3G one, also in one go.

I've added and removed lots of songs from both using ml_iPod also. I've also got about 16 custom playlists (static) on each.

My mp3's only have ID3v2 (2.3) tags at the beginning of the file, I strip all the ID3v1 tags from the end using Tag&Rename. I also use T&R's multiple IDv3 "edit all fields" option to clear things like the "Comment" field and "Encoded By" and any other fields I don't use. Any files I download, I edit all the fields to make sure the tag is clean. Btw, also some of my files *do* have comments -- DJ mixes where the MP3 is one 78min track, I have the track listing in comment field (typical content size is about 1KB of text).

95% of my files are encoded from CD with EAC and LAME. For those downloaded from the Internet, I use Mp3trim to remove any dodgy/corrupt frames from the files, which is quite common.

I also use mp3gain to make all the files the same volume, though that shouldn't make any difference to the corruption issue.

There's a 30day trial version of Tag&Rename, and the basic version of Mp3trim is free, as is eac, lame & mp3gain.

www.softpointer.com/tr.htm
www.mptrim.com
www.exactaudiocopy.de (it says beta, but is very stable)
www.rarewares.org/mp3.html (lame 3.96.1)
mp3gain.sourceforge.net

Hope this helps someone,
Matt.
timeshifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2005, 16:07   #23
timeshifting

Also if you're going to use EAC, you'll want the latest ASPI layer from Adaptec (if you don't already have it installed).

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...aspi_471a2.exe

However, running that file just extracts the installer (it doesn't actually install it). You'll need to go the Command Prompt and run the installer, ala:

Start > Run > cmd (or 'command' for 98/ME)
cd\adaptec\aspi\
install XP32 (for Window XP)
or
install X86 (for 98,ME,NT4,W2k)

Then restart your machine, start EAC and under "EAC > EAC Options > Interface" choose External ASPI interface. Then close and restart EAC for the change to take effect

Matt.
Old 7th July 2005, 17:24   #24
callit

Quote:
Originally posted by traker
The problem is self inflicted it has happened to me twice now. You are diconnecting the iPod before its finished doing its thing. Make sure you used the eject button if you do not, you are disconnecting the iPod while its still working thus currupting the database. If you can't eject it using the button close winamp and open it back up then try ejecting I have had no futher problems since I have started using the eject button.
This is not the problem at all. I follow the recommended procedure of closing Winamp, and using the safely disconnect icon in the task bar. (Due to the current bug with the Winamp Eject button not working.)

Currently, my iPod is working fine using this method. But if I were to add about a 1000 to 1500 more songs, I would get the same problem.

Also, as proof the id3 tags alone aren't the issue at hand here, I already covered that possiblity earlier in this thread. The thousand or so files that caused the problem in the first case did not cause the problem again after formatting. As to my theory that it may be a capacity issue, eliminating id3v1 tags may remove extra information in the DB, so that does seem like a possible workaround. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about how the plugin is written, or how or what information is stored in the DB.

As of right now, I'm okay with how my ipod is working. Even not working at its full capacity for me, ml ipod is at least 5 times better than itunes simply because the winamp ml is so easy to maintain. I transfer files rated better than 3. I usually don't have the urge to listen to anything less when I'm out and about anyways.
Old 8th July 2005, 16:15   #25
timeshifting

Quote:
Originally posted by callit
EDIT: upon removing the iTunesDB file from the iPod, the unit would actually load into the music player. Of course, no music or playlists show up. The file is about 3.7MB.
I agree the eject thing doesn't sound related. My reasoning for suggesting the tags was your comment above, which would seem to indicate that there is an error in the iTunes db. The database reader in the iPod's software appears not like errors in it (if the db was written with iTunes there wouldn't be errors in it), and either gives up completely or only loads some songs into the cache upon encountering one.

If you look at the contents of the database, it doesn't contain the actual ID3 tags for the songs. It is mainly a song list in it's own format with only the fields used by the iPod. The database usually has the songs listed first and then playlists and whatnot after, in my experience though this may not always be the case. The content of the tags is copied to this database with a reference to the file. The contents of a song item entry (sans-binary data) is shown below:

code:

mhit
mhod Busy Child
mhod iPod_Control:Music:F07:ml_ipod00140.mp3
mhod Vegas
mhod The Crystal Method
mhod Big Beat

So I'm thinking something in the tags is causing ml_ipod to write a song entry that the iPod chokes on. Of course, everything works fine in Winamp, cos' it can quite happily read the data it's written. I'm wondering whether additional sanitation of the metadata would help (on copy), the problem is we're not sure exactly what the iPod chokes on.

Also, I don't think the database size would be an issue, cos' the reader code would be the same for all iPod's, imho. The only update older iPod's seem to get is the "iTunes 4.x Compatibility" one, i.e. an updated database reader to handle the revised itunes db used by that version of iTunes.

Btw, i don't mind nuking my 20G and running some tests also if you'd like some results to compare to

Matt.
Old 8th July 2005, 19:59   #26
callit

yeah, that was a seperate problem - I had some tags with very long comments in them, and that's apparently been the cause of problems for many people. I deleted alot of extraneous information from my tags and it boots fine now, at least with a limited number of songs.
Old 15th December 2005, 03:21   #27
vitabello1

Ipod plugin

let me just say.... WILL, YOU ROCK!

Finally, a great piece of software that will allow me to utilize my ipod the way it should be used...upload and download with my favorite mp3 player. For all those who have a short fuse with you about the software bugs/glitches...CHILL.. This is free. This guy obviously works his a$$ off to make this and help everyone, while being in college. THanks again Will...this is awesome!
vitabello1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion