Old 28th March 2007, 18:46   #1
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Question What's missing for video?

Not too long, and I'll have a 5.5G video iPod

So, put all your wishes into this thread: What is missing or buggy regarding video support in ml_iPod?

Be as specific as possible, as I have no video experience up to now. I don't even know where to get some videos to test with (hints are welcome).

Please don't ask for features that Winamp can't handle, e.g. don't ask for video format conversion or DRM issues.

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 17:53   #2
Bitdiddle

Missing: Pushing Podcasts in a way that video podcasts get transfered & inserted the right way as audio podcasts (so that they will show up under Videopodcasts/Musicfiles/...). The same mechanism to be used with audio podcasts, via the podcast watch folder.

Buggy(?): As far as by now, when dragging video files into mlipod, they'll get transferred to the iPod, they'll show up under video files with their filenames (or infos taken out of the files?), so u can recognize them. Doing this via static playlists which hold these files and tranfer them via sync, the ipod list entries only consist of simple dots (".") - no filename or file info shown there, so one has no idea which video files are there.

Is there any chance also to get image support? That would be perfect... :-)
Bitdiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 17:56   #3
Bitdiddle

Re: What's missing for video?

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
I don't even know where to get some videos to test with (hints are welcome).
Try podcast.de for example. As u r german, u'll find many german podcasts there e.g. from german tv, "quarks&co" or galileo" or such things...
Old 30th March 2007, 12:55   #4
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Ok, that's a good point for video podcasts. But where do I get other types of videos?

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 30th March 2007, 18:25   #5
AtmaWeapon

There's a cool feature in 5G iPods that ml_ipod doesn't support (I've tried it several times). It's a little difficult to explain, but I'll try to be as specific as possible.

When you transfer a video with iTunes and then play them on iPod, when you stop playback to, say, listen to some music, and then go back to the previously watched video, iPod remembers the exact minute and second you last watched and resumes playback from there. This seems to be missing when transfering videos with ml_ipod (you could still resume video playback through the "Now Playing" option, but if you play back something else, and attempt to play back the previously watched video, it will start from second 0).

This is a nice feature, specially when watching lengthy movies. I guess it won't be so difficult to implement, maybe some marker or something in the iPod DB.
AtmaWeapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 21:20   #6
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Try 2.03p16. Does that fix it? (I simply set the flag for "remember playback position" that is used for audiobooks, I don't know if this works for videos, too)

Old 30th March 2007, 21:40   #7
AtmaWeapon

Awesome! It works perfectly! Aparently it works per file basis, I tried with one file that was already transfered and it didn't work, so I guess it will be set for videos transfered from now on.

Thanks, great job! To be honest, I was waiting for you to get the 5.5G iPod to request this, but I didn't think it would be so simple!
Old 30th March 2007, 21:50   #8
AtmaWeapon

Quote:
Ok, that's a good point for video podcasts. But where do I get other types of videos?
The best way to get free iPod-compatible video is by downloading movie trailers in http://www.apple.com/quicktime/trailers. Unfortunately, most of them require you to use iTunes to transfer them and most of them don't include artwork, so it's a bummer anyway.

In the other hand, I think video artwork should work much the same way it does with music, and since ml_ipod already supports album artwork for music it shouldn't be that difficult to implement it.
Old 31st March 2007, 03:00   #9
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Dumb question: What is video artwork? When a video is playing, the whole screen is used, isn't it?

Last edited by abu; 31st March 2007 at 19:53.
Old 31st March 2007, 19:53   #10
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
Awesome! It works perfectly! Aparently it works per file basis, I tried with one file that was already transfered and it didn't work, so I guess it will be set for videos transfered from now on.
Correct. But I uploaded a new patch right now. If you set the hidden setting
videosBookmarkable=2
in your iPod inifile, it will mark all videos that way, even the ones that are already uploaded. Cool, eh?

See http://www.joerobot.com/mlipodwiki/i...idden_settings

Old 1st April 2007, 17:48   #11
someeemofag

There is a feature I would looove to see that spreads beyond just video. How easy is it to turn on support for Asian languages? (Or any foreign language) I download a crap load of Japanese podcasts and music and it's all just jibberish. I can't read much Katakana but I can't get anything out of the jibberish and question marks.

Video Asian language support would make this ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS FOR ME!

In another post I asked for some Media Library organization support but now that I used Media Monkey I could care less about that sort of thing.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT SOFTWARE!
someeemofag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 18:24   #12
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

If you need full Unicode support, you must switch to pmp_ipod. ml_ipod will never have it

Old 1st April 2007, 22:00   #13
aperture01

Send a message via ICQ to aperture01 Send a message via AIM to aperture01
transcoding

I have a video ipod and rarely use it for video, because i'd have to use itunes, same with the photo capability (which would be sweet if ml_ipod could somehow use that)

First and foremost itunes now transcodes video into the proper format for the ipod if you send it a video. It takes some time but it's very handy. I don't know much about "tagging" videos but i'd imagine that'd be one of the most important things for ML_ipod to handle.

Also it'd be cool if I could just set ml_ipod to upload a series of photos from a particular directory. THen again maybe there is software that does this already with itunes.
aperture01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 22:09   #14
aperture01

err i guess transcoding is out of the question, missed that part. lol
Old 1st April 2007, 23:19   #15
someeemofag

But PMP_IPOD sucks. So there will never be a Unicode update? Ah. How come? Winamp must support Unicode.
someeemofag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 03:18   #16
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by someeemofag
But PMP_IPOD sucks. So there will never be a Unicode update? Ah. How come? Winamp must support Unicode.
Winamp does. But ml_ipod is OLD code. And it's a pain in the ass to transform it to Unicode.
Possible, of course. So, if anybody wants to do it, fine. I won't. I estimate that to be at least 2 weeks of work, 8h/day... maybe much more. And this is my spare time!

Last edited by abu; 2nd April 2007 at 03:42.
Old 2nd April 2007, 12:44   #17
aperture01

does ml_ipod currently sort videos?
Old 2nd April 2007, 19:42   #18
AtmaWeapon

Quote:

Dumb question: What is video artwork? When a video is playing, the whole screen is used, isn't it?
Yes, but for TV-out playback, iPod screen switches to the normal one used for music. It's the only instance in which you could see artwork for videos if any, so I don't think I'd pay much attention to artwork while watching a movie on a 29-inch TV.
Old 3rd April 2007, 01:23   #19
frauhottelmann

It would be nice if you could include, that music videos are under the music video category and not under movies! I think there is a flag for that in iTunes! I didn't find one in here, where you can find the compilation one, but that program isn't written for movies anyways.

ml_Ipod-Wiki
iPod Classic Black 80GB
-
Samsung Galaxy S
frauhottelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 01:27   #20
frauhottelmann

I checked it and when you assign a video to music video, nothing in the tag changes!

ml_Ipod-Wiki
iPod Classic Black 80GB
-
Samsung Galaxy S
Old 3rd April 2007, 01:58   #21
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by frauhottelmann
I checked it and when you assign a video to music video, nothing in the tag changes!
Of course not; this info is stored in the iTunesDB!

Windows 7 Beta
iPod touch (Second Generation), 8GB
Winamp 5.55 with ml_iPod 3.08
fatcerberus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 18:39   #22
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

I use my 80 G ipod to store mp4 movies for my kids when we travel. I also have music videos and multiple episodes of TV series such as South Park, Family Guy, etc. Currently they are all lumped together into alphabetical order in one grouping over which I have no control.

It would be nice if there was a way to organize them into groups (like playlists) for easier reference and searching.

Thanks, Abu

80GB 5.5 generation Video iPod

4GB and 8GB gen 2 Nano's with ****+

Winamp 5.52 Pro ; ml_iPod 3.05
kaatinthehaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 18:50   #23
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Hi, Kaatinthehat,
you know about the [TV], [MTV], [MV] stuff? see Wiki: http://www.joerobot.com/mlipodwiki/i...of_video_files

That's better than nothing...

Old 3rd April 2007, 18:56   #24
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

Thanks Abu, I hadn't seen that before. It's very helpful for the time being

Old 4th April 2007, 01:33   #25
frauhottelmann

That is basically what I wanted! Thank you for your help!

ml_Ipod-Wiki
iPod Classic Black 80GB
-
Samsung Galaxy S
Old 4th April 2007, 21:25   #26
Yawg81

Another "suggestion" or question rather..

Why is it so that every time after you've updated your library with the mlipod plugin, that the first time you open the "Videos" menu on the iPod it is so damn slow.. it takes more than 10 seconds at least to open/browse it (it seems like it's stuck for a while) .. but after the first time you've succesfully opened up the Videos folder it's ok until you save the library once again after you've hooked it up on mlipod..

Must be something with the reading of the library regarding videos? This could be optimized in a newer patch?

I dunno.. anyone else experiencing this? (I have 1.52GB of vids on the iPod)
Yawg81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2007, 01:44   #27
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

Mine only takes a few seconds and I have at least 15 GB of videos on mine.

Old 5th April 2007, 17:33   #28
Yawg81

Quote:
Originally posted by kaatinthehaat
Mine only takes a few seconds and I have at least 15 GB of videos on mine.
Well I might be exaggerating a little bit but there is in fact a noticeable difference between the first time you open the Videos folder (after updating the library) and all the times you open it after the first time.

An example:

This morning I've updated my library.

Half an hour later I'm on the bus to work and I turn on my iPod and open the Videos menu.. it takes a while (longer than usual) before he displays the content). Eventually it opens. Great. All works.

I power down iPod and I start working.

After my work I'm on the bus again. I turn on the iPod. I browse the videos folder and like magic it opens immediately...

Now I'm home and I connect my iPod to the computer again and start syncing (last.fm and other shizzle). I eject iPod, library gets synced.

Now when I open the Videos menu once again..guess?? Yes, it's slow again... very odd, right?
Old 5th April 2007, 22:18   #29
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Odd? Not necessarily. Resyncing an iPod causes its iTunesDB to be rewritten, regardless of whether anything changed or not since the last sync. Since this makes the iPod think the DB is dirty, whatever metadata your iPod cached is now unusable, so it has to be reloaded. I suspect this may be the cause of the delay.

Remember, the iPod never shuts down. It only sleeps. Therefore, caching stuff in RAM is very effective. If something changes to invalidate that cache, however, the whole cache has to be discarded and reread from the source.

Here's a simple test. Reboot your iPod (hold the Menu and Center buttons until it restarts), then go into the video menu. Does it stall again?

Windows 7 Beta
Old 7th April 2007, 07:55   #30
Yawg81

Quote:
Originally posted by fatcerberus1
[...] I suspect this may be the cause of the delay.
[...]
Here's a simple test. Reboot your iPod (hold the Menu and Center buttons until it restarts), then go into the video menu. Does it stall again?
Indeed that's most likely the problem.

I've rebooted the iPod and the small delay is still there when I open the Videos folder for the first time.

I thought maybe this could be optimized but I think that's something the iPod firmware devs should do. There is nothing mlipod can do about this, I suppose?
Old 9th April 2007, 12:56   #31
AtmaWeapon

Quote:
Originally posted by Yawg81
There is nothing mlipod can do about this, I suppose?
I don't think so. In fact, I noticed the same behaviour back in the days I used iTunes for video sync/transfer. So factercerberus1's theory should be correct. You can notice similar behaviour when playing back music. If you're playing a track and then switch to another different track, sometimes iPod takes approx. 1 1/2 seconds to start playback. If you go back to the previously played track, it plays back immediately, since it is already cached.
Old 9th April 2007, 13:40   #32
aperture01

I wish ml_ipod would sort the videos in winamp like itunes does. Give them a separate area on the menu so they aren't mixed in with the music. i have very little video on my ipod so i'll give it a whirl.
Old 9th April 2007, 15:50   #33
AtmaWeapon

You could use a Smart Playlist to filter videos, something like:

code:

filename ENDS "mp4" OR filename ENDS "m4v"

would do the job.
Old 9th April 2007, 19:08   #34
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by aperture01
I wish ml_ipod would sort the videos in winamp like itunes does. Give them a separate area on the menu so they aren't mixed in with the music.
You are refering to the videos that are on the iPod, right? ml_ipod can do nothing about the way that Winamp presents the contents of your media library. For the stuff on the iPod, a Smart Playlist would be the easiest solution, as AtmaWeapon told you. Maybe we could add this SPL automatically if there are videos found on the iPod... in one of the next releases...?

Old 10th April 2007, 08:00   #35
Bitdiddle

Quote:
Originally posted by Bitdiddle
Is there any chance also to get image support? That would be perfect... :-)
@abu: Did u make ur mind about this, this would be the final kicking feature :-).

wr,
bitdiddle
Old 10th April 2007, 12:52   #36
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

abu has already answered this multiple times already in various threads: he won't do it himself, as it would be a lot of work and he's only programming ml_iPod in his spare time. It could still get implemented if someone else did it, of course (ml_iPod is open source).

Windows 7 Beta
Old 10th April 2007, 14:43   #37
aperture01

I suppose the smart playlist will work, although then i'd have a playlist on my ipod as well, correct? Would it be possible to have ml_ipod create a smart playlist that isin't uploaded to the ipod, and only shown on the menu, like the podcasts? To avoid redundancy.
Old 10th April 2007, 19:08   #38
Bitdiddle

Quote:
Originally posted by fatcerberus1
abu has already answered this multiple times already in various threads: he won't do it himself, as it would be a lot of work and he's only programming ml_iPod in his spare time. It could still get implemented if someone else did it, of course (ml_iPod is open source).
what is "it"? image support? i did not find anything from him regading this feature, so i simply ask him for his opinion. video support also was not implemented yet and still he finds it somewhat useful .

in principle i fully ack with u, and i know that abu does it in his free time. on the other hand, he said that he will implement the things *he* would like to see in ml_ipod, and simply this is what a ask him for - not more, not less .

stay tuned,
wr,
bitdiddle
Old 10th April 2007, 21:44   #39
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Yes, video support is implemented. Drag an .mp4 or .m4v file to your iPod, and it'll go into the Videos menu, just like it does under iTunes.

I also recall abu saying something about image support having no place in a music player like Winamp. So it's very unlikely he'll implement it himself, as it's clear he doesn't feel he needs it.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 11th April 2007, 01:57   #40
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Correct, see
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....22#post2163222

Maybe some day if I really have nothing else to do...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion