Old 24th September 2010, 19:26   #1
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Total playlist micromanagement.

I'm thinking about doing a small revamp on the WebJockey plugin. As it's for online broadcasts I would like it to be able to takeover some of the playlist functions. Specifically, I would like to block/reinterpret UI activity on the playlist such as drag&drop, song and playlist insertion/rearrangement/deletion control/blocking, and other "deadbeef" stuff to block accidental manipulation of playlist activity during a broadcast. Basically I'm after getting WebJockey to store the playlist internally outside the Winamp intrinsic playlist only inserting songs into it for cue to playback one at a time in accordance with DJ parameters. Is it possible to only "deadbeef" the playlist or even completely hide it and intercept all UI functions dealing with playlist control so as to force the user at the monitor to perform all playlist arrangements through the plugin itself? Would there be a need to /class the playlist window? Does modern skin support preclude the possibility, and if it does is there a way around that? Would it be better to implement it as a ML takeover plugin instead of as a gen plugin?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long question.

Last edited by thinktink; 24th September 2010 at 20:51.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 20:05   #2
DrO

that's a bit more than a small change. there's ways to block certain aspects of the playlist ie blocking mouse clicks and some keypresses (is what i do as an option in playlist undo).

really trying to control the playlist editor window on such a level isn't going to be that simple (tried it a few years back and it wasn't successful though that was aiming at a full replacement of the playlist editor to be like the Winamp3 one was). the better option is to hide the window though that'll still involve subclassing things to block the relevant WM_COMMAND messages for opening the playlist editor window. this then just allows you to make a larger window which has all of the playlist control options in so there's no need for the user to access it.

either way you're potentially going to be having to make compromises (especially when doing it via a DSP) and really without trying out somethings for what you want to do it's tricky to say how best todo things.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 20:51   #3
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Oh noes, it's not for DSP LiveWire, it's for GEN WebJockey.

And what about the modern skins aspect of the idea?
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 21:10   #4
DrO

i can't remember everything, i've enough issues remember the 65+ i've got, hehe.

modern skins shouldn't usually cause any issue as long as it's all done nicely for classic skins. the only quirks can come from some subclassing/hooking actions due to modern skin containers being a two level window but really until you try it out i really can't say - it shouldn't have an effect but i've known it to cause issues in edge cases.

potentially your avatar may sum up the process if you do try to do it if only from having to subclass a mass of messages without then breaking other plug-ins/behaviour.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development