Old 17th May 2004, 19:53   #1
sheh

Listener prob: no stream title, breaks

First a note to moderators; wouldn't it be better to have separate sections for listeners and servers? Most of the questions here seem to be server-related, so I couldn't find a relevant answer.

And to the problems... :)

I'm using Winamp 5.03, firewall allows all Winamp traffic both ways (TCP and UDP). My connection is 768/96.

1) There's no stream title, no matter what station.
SHOUTcast title support is checked.

When initially loading a URL I see the station name and number of listeners ([123/1234] radio abcd), but when starting to play it's always the server's address (http://1.2.3.4:1234/path).

2) The playback cuts on most stations because of the streaming strategy. It buffers some, plays until the buffers runs out, then buffers again. The downstream graph looks as follows: spike, nothing, spike, etc.

In most stations I don't get more than 25KB/sec. In theory this should be more than enough to play a 128kbit(=16KB) stream, but for some reason SC doesn't handle it well.

Is there a way to get it to download continuously at the stream bitrate? A consistent load is also better when other application use the downstream at the same time.

Playing with the prebuf/prebuf after underrun/buf size did nothing -- it didn't change the download pattern the least bit; always a few seconds of prebuffering (even when the buffer size was small and/or the prebuf was set low), etc.
It didn't change anything even if I restarted Winamp after the changes.

Thanks for any prospective help!
sheh.
sheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 18:35   #2
me at work

no stream title

Quote:
Originally posted by sheh
First a note to moderators; wouldn't it be better to have separate sections for listeners and servers? Most of the questions here seem to be server-related, so I couldn't find a relevant answer.

I'm using Winamp 5.03, firewall allows all Winamp traffic both ways (TCP and UDP). My connection is 768/96.

1) There's no stream title, no matter what station.
SHOUTcast title support is checked.

When initially loading a URL I see the station name and number of listeners ([123/1234] radio abcd), but when starting to play it's always the server's address (http://1.2.3.4:1234/path).
This is the only form of the question I have which showed up in search. however, although I can listen to winamp through the firewall, whatever port the titles comes in on is blocked i guess, but I don't know why. Yes, title support is on for me too.

me at work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 20:39   #3
NJK
FRYSK BLOED TSJOCH OP- FRISIAN

Re: Listener prob: no stream title, breaks

Quote:
Originally posted by sheh
there is a seperate section for this

server related --> shoutcast tech support

listener related (and therefor related to the winamp player) --> winamp tech support forum.

so if you are a listener who has troubles listening to a shoutcast station with the winamp player --> winamp tech support because your problems have no relation what so ever to the stations you are trying to listen to but more to bad settings or wrong settings on your system regarding the winamp player or your internet connection.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support