Old 19th July 2009, 18:45   #1
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Hell in my PC (Temp Issues, Help /r/ed)

First off, if this is in the wrong spot, mod please move. I figured the OCers would have the best suggestions to cool.

-----------------------------------------------
So my comp is NOT overclocked, but it is heating up like it is. Currently my tower (~2 years old) is laying on its side with the internals exposed. The ambient temperature in my is 75-80 F, 24-27 C. I also bought compressed air and dusted (which I should have been doing more I know). Despite this, I am still having the following:

GPU: 90C
Temp1 : 66C
HD0: 55C
HD1: 51C
Core0-3: 44-47C

cpuz:

guts (sh|t pic from sh|t webcam, but best I can do atm) :

For what it is worth, the air being blown out the back of the tower (from the giant orange fan) is only what I would consider warm, not not.

I am open to nearly all suggestion (I do not want to install a liquid cool system, for example) I have speedfan controlling the fan at this point, and a small tower fan blowing on it from the outside as well, but this is insane. I have never seen temps like this. I can supply better pics, dxdiag, as well as other tabs of CPUZ/speedfan as needed. I built this tower, so I am not a complete newbie, but be gentle still

Thanks in advance.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 20:02   #2
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Temp1 sensor is where? Video card? I'd probably check the PSU just to be safe. Would also help if you posted specs of system.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 20:47   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

Scotty says "She canno take much mora this!". 90 degrees for the GPU! Are you sure you didn't use some video card overclocking software and screw up? What would make the hard drives smoke like that?

I hesitate, but touch the GPU. If you get a blister, then it is really 90C (that's 194F). Same with the hard disks. They would be uncomfortable to touch.

Yeah, I'd check the PSU first too. Whatever it is, don't run it for very long while testing.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 23:14   #4
fc*uk

I remember reading junk about software not being able to pull the temperature from specific gpu's accurately. Unfortunately, that is about all I got for you, but it might be worth looking into.

If it really is running that hot, then they make some pci/pci-e cooling cards that simply exhaust air form the case. May be worth looking into.

You got good air flow through the case? I know you mentioned an exhaust fan, but what about one on the front of the cast to pull cool air in?

Also, if the hard drives remain that hot, then you might want to look into hdd coolers as well.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 00:51   #5
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

expensive solution - buy a bigger case with 120mm intake and outtake fans with NO side door cooling (will actually prove better in alot of cases (pun intended)

+ A\C to be installed in your room to lower room's temps... remember, your computer is not a fridge and is not isolated... if its in the basement, cooling the room can be a pain without an AC unit

inexpensive solution -

a.) cable management if your case can contain most of the cables behind the motherboard or drive cages

b.) dont run CPU\GPU heavy programs too often, that means games, 3D editing\movie editing\other power hungry programs

c.) faulty PSU? (just a guess)

for the hell of it solution -

seran wrap the entire case and blast it with cold water or dry ice on CPU and video card
kingo'mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 01:34   #6
fc*uk

At the university that I went to, some dude rigged up this liquid nitrogen cooling system so he could massively overclock cpu's. Dude got a PI-133 to out perform a PIII at about 800 mHz.

Neat as hell to see.

Completely impractical.
Old 20th July 2009, 06:41   #7
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Well I posted on neowin as well, seems to be a known issue with my graphics card (8800 GT) and perhaps my PSU is just borked. From a cold (3 hour off) start my GPU went from 69 C to 90 C in 15:38. They suggested some relatively inexpensive options that I am going to order from newegg tomorrow and I will see how that goes.

FYI, my apt is air conditioned.
Old 20th July 2009, 08:47   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

That doesn't explain your hard drives being that hot. Hmmm.... maybe it does... could the overheat be drastic enough to heat the hard disks up? 90C is pretty hot....

I wouldn't think so.... but yeah..

Have you got an old junk drawer video card you can stick in there for a test?

You might pop in to your local "mom n' pop" computer store and ask them to test your power supply. The guy down the road here would do it for nothing.

System builders should have a tester in the toolbox. Really fancy ones only cost $20.
Old 21st July 2009, 18:13   #9
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

i'm gonan do that today later. and yea, that is why my HDDs are so hot. As soon as i ramped the fan up with riveria tuner they cooled down
Old 23rd July 2009, 02:39   #10
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
I realize this is probably not a direction you want to go in, but you probably are going to want to change video cards soon. The 8xxx series is getting on in years now. In the fall new-gen video cards are coming out, I'd seriously consider that to be a good time to look at a newer model.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:48   #11
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

are there any dx 11 cards already?
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:25   #12
fc*uk

Another problem is those 8800 cards are still good enough to play most all the newer games on high settings. So why upgrade?
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:01   #13
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

because

a.) mentally you're aware that sooner or later your hardware will become obsolete and you wont be able to play newer games and be the laughing stock on the gamers community for GPU lag making your ass dead because you couldn't see where you're going... (i blab too much)

b.) like you and other people already said... technology evolves, why the heck not exploit it to make more money!

i'm not a serious gamer so i dont have to worry about my hardware being oldschool, i upgrade mostly when its done it's job... and get a whole new package, heck... my current machine is from 2005 (i think, could be older) and i haven't upgraded it since
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:58   #14
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

GPUs are known to run hot. Mine (HD 4850) gets up to 93°C during intense gaming sessions, and has been completely fine like that for over a year. I don't have any problems until it reaches 110°+.

The rest of your temps are normal.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:55   #15
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

^ My thoughts exactly, although if you can cool it down some all the better. Personally wouldn't want my HDDs running that hot.

Interesting to note that speedfan reports my CPU running at minus 64C (AMD 64 X2 2400). Don't have time to find something else, gotta go to work .
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:16   #16
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik
GPUs are known to run hot. Mine (HD 4850) gets up to 93°C during intense gaming sessions, and has been completely fine like that for over a year. I don't have any problems until it reaches 110°+.

The rest of your temps are normal.
my 8800gtx is running quite hot too. and it survived 2 years so far
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:20   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik
GPUs are known to run hot. Mine (HD 4850) gets up to 93°C during intense gaming sessions.
I think if anything runs over 90, cooling measures are in order.
Old 24th July 2009, 05:35   #18
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Ok, motherboard and CPU at 23C, GPU at 74C after half an hours run time in a room thats about 16C. The GPU is heatsink cooled, relying otherwise on system fans. The GPUs pre-built-in throttling threshold is 125C, and even at '74C' the heatsink is cool to the touch, so I'm not worried.

After another look at that case of yours, I'd be inclined to get taller feet, cut a hole in the bottom, and mount an intake fan there. Or one in the top too and make the bottom and exhaust. My own case is about double width of a normal case, with 4 case fans plus the CPU fan, and it's got about as much in it as yours has. In my defense, I was planning on a raid setup, but lazyness etc.
Old 24th July 2009, 07:25   #19
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

what's so good about this raiding thing? as opposed to stand alone drives?

i've heard its a "1 big drive" with the files being split between the drives so when 1 drive dies, file recovery is much more likely to happen, just how servers work.

honestly, i think a good setup should be 1 small drive for OS and all the programs, and a storage drive for all important stuff (external ftw)
Old 24th July 2009, 10:38   #20
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Bags
After another look at that case of yours, I'd be inclined to get taller feet, cut a hole in the bottom, and mount an intake fan there. Or one in the top too and make the bottom and exhaust.
if you do that the bottom should be the intake and the top the exhaust. the hot air will go upwards by itself and that will be more effective than pushing the hot air down and making the bottom the exhaust.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:23   #21
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Ah. Honestly I was thinking more of aesthetics, like how back is exhaust mainly because you don't want air being blown in your face.

[EDIT]
Quote:
Originally posted by kingo'mountain
honestly, i think a good setup should be 1 small drive for OS and all the programs, and a storage drive for all important stuff (external ftw)
Thats what I do. Except that a raid would allow, as you say, redundancy in case of drive failure for the important stuff.
It's also possible to affect read/write speeds using raid setups. Raid5 (which provides a good compromise between storage space and redundancy), for example, can have slower write times because of the parity information being calculated but can have faster read times because different parts of the file can be read from several drives at once.
Raid0/JBOD is the exception, being a simple adding of drive space with no redundancy or file read/write speed enhancements/detriments.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:21   #22
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

Quote:
Ah. Honestly I was thinking more of aesthetics, like how back is exhaust mainly because you don't want air being blown in your face.
you mean from the wall, bouncing back to you? uhh.... attach a funnel to direct the air away from the wall?

really now, there's not much you can do, specially if the room has no natural venting (windows, doors to the outside) and i'm sure the hot summer days we are going through right now do nothing to help the situation.

[edit] nm, i cant read english, it seems

psycho, are you able to play games like halflife 2, code of honor, farcry, halo 2\3? are higher end GPUs worth the money? (higher than yours)

Last edited by kingo'mountain; 24th July 2009 at 12:48.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:35   #23
rockouthippie
Banned

If you've ever actually tried to recover a RAID 5 that has failed........... you'll wish you hadn't used RAID 5.
Old 24th July 2009, 13:18   #24
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

The fact that it can be recovered, the keeping most of your storage space across the drives, and the actual unlikelyhood of failure makes the time factor not too bad a prospect. Especially if you have a hot spare. My fear would be a setup that is dependent on specific hardware/software that breaks and can't easily be replaced, or worse, is no longer available.

I wouldn't mind the experience actually, but I don't have access to enough drives to mess around.
Old 24th July 2009, 13:28   #25
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

aren't drives dirt cheap today? i mean, approx 20$ for 300 gigs maybe?

again, metal must be low (14 american dollars for 100 ounces of pure silver)
Old 24th July 2009, 18:10   #26
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
front or back doesnt matter that much as long as its the same level (which it isnt most of the times because of the optical drives). most of the time youll have a front intake at the lowest part of your front panel (blowing thru the hdd cage in my case) and then the exhaust at the back either next to the mobo above the pci slots. you also have the psu fan.

There is a case that uses the effect of hot air going upwards:

Silverstone Raven

actually has the whole mobo turned by 90° because stuff like pci cards would block air flow.
Old 24th July 2009, 22:09   #27
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Nice. I have a yy-0211 from here, with only 2 optical and 2 hdd all spaced out, with all the fan holes filled.
Old 24th July 2009, 23:27   #28
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
the actual unlikelyhood of failure
That's pretty low even for a single disk. Surprisingly double disk failures can be a real problem with RAID 5, in which case, you're done and will be able to retrieve nothing. RAID 5 provides half way decent protection from single disk failure, but in a multi-disk failure will be unrecoverable even if the disk drives are only "on the fritz" and not completely wasted.

You may wish you had not employed any redundancy at all.

I've used RAID 0 for speed. I think the rest are sort of a waste of time. There is no substitute for backups. Drive failure is only one of the many ways you can have data loss.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 24th July 2009 at 23:45.
Old 25th July 2009, 05:27   #29
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
Nice. I have a yy-0211 from here, with only 2 optical and 2 hdd all spaced out, with all the fan holes filled.
PICTAR:

[EDIT]
Yes that is a home-made drive cooler. Yes, I know I don't need it, it was fun to make it. It's also not powered at the moment, the fans need oiling and I can't be bothered pulling it out.
Old 25th July 2009, 16:29   #30
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

Quote:
I can't be bothered pulling it out.
ummmm... where's a dick joke when you need one?
Old 25th July 2009, 22:16   #31
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Do you just sit around, surfing the forum, thinking about dick?
Old 25th July 2009, 22:20   #32
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
Quote:
Originally posted by kingo'mountain
ummmm... where's a dick joke when you need one?
Look in your pants... you will find a dick joke in there...

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions