Old 2nd September 2011, 01:26   #3161
sgtfuzzbubble011

Not the last thing I bought, but I recently purchased a pair of Celestron SkyMaster 25x70 binoculars. My mom gave me a $40 gift card to Best Buy that had been sitting in her purse for ages, so I was ecstatic when I found out that Best Buy's website sells binoculars. Since they were on sale, I only had to pay around $38 to get these, and the shipping was free. When autumn really gets here and the temperature outside drops to reasonable levels, I'm going to take these out, mount them on my tripod, and do some stargazing.
Old 1st October 2011, 02:23   #3162
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I bought a pretty nice pencil sharpener. As a school counselor, I do a lot of professional work, but one of the things I do that's not so professional is sharpening about 600 pencils when getting ready for standardized tests. The sharpeners that the school buys overheat after about 15-25 virgin pencils (or about 30 re-sharpening reps if the pencils had been sharpened before) and then you have to wait 20 minutes before the unit cools enough to use again. This model is supposedly commercial grade and is supposed to handle a lot more virgin insertions, so to speak.

I also bought a new computer chair. It's still on order; hopefully I'll get pics of it when it arrives. I left the old one in a dumpster in Iowa when I moved out of that state this past summer. The pictures below are of the last one I had, but it had already been re-sewn twice and was fraying away all over. Plus the cushioning in it had been nearly flattened from a lot of use.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 1st October 2011, 13:13   #3163
fc*uk

Wow. The last post was nearly a months ago.

The economy has officially died folks...
Old 1st October 2011, 19:06   #3164
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Yeah, all I mostly spend money on is gasoline, groceries, and utilities, but then every once in a great while I go out and buy something really nice.

edit:

Well, Renee got these a few days ago too in black. She says they have the warmth of regular corduroys but are much more flexible and soft. We got them free through our coupon dollars (from using an L.L. Bean Visa card for just about all purchases). We get tons of shit from them free that way, and it makes holidays easy on us because of that.

Old 2nd October 2011, 06:59   #3165
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
did i really forget to post the best thing this thread's seen in months?

http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VG236H/

please, pick up your jaws off the floor before reading any further, lord knows i had to.

it's a bit more reflective than i'd have liked, but seeing as the old piece of shit 21 inch crapped out and won't turn on (GOOD RIDDANCE LG PIECE OF SHIT! I HATE LG!) anymore i had an excuse a bit ago to pickup an upgrade and quite an upgrade as well if i do say so myself.

2 inches larger, crappier response time sadly but still a really respectable 2ms (old was 1ms) and pulling the pin so the height can be adjusted.... well... let's just say it kicks like a donkey, get behind a blast shield before you pull the pin on one of these things, it got me in the stomach and smarted a bit, not too bad though honestly.

got it bundled with the nvidia 3d vision glasses and IR receiver and i swear to god i don't see how i could stand playing video games in 2D anymore, especially racers oh and fallout 3 new vegas, dear god, orgasmic nothing short of.

it's been the single biggest improvement to enjoying a computer since... well.... since i ditched windows 3.1 and the packard bell and compaq that i had back in the stone ages and started building them for myself, no joking.

i also got a 1TB hard drive, 7200RPM, 32MB cache, SATA3 capable, i'm no longer using a single IDE ribbon.
it's a standard spinning plate drive but i'm having no problems and it's more space than i'll need for a while.

i can't wait to slap bethesda's latest eye-a-palooza "RAGE" on this bad boy in 3 days and max that out, i'll be in heaven, honestly though..... the textures look horribly blurry from what i've seen on youtube of the console version but then again... carmack claims that since the game uses 22GB worth of mega textures basically meaning that no scene re-uses the same texture for the most part where it'd be re-used nearly to death anywhere else.... well... let's just say... maybe the blurriness of textures up close will plague PC as well and sad as it is the possibility of the entire game being redone and patched into textures well beyond the gargantuan size of my custom million count disruptor image is... gone.
he's clarified and said that if they do that it'll probably just be for one level.

furthermore, i expect to resent RAGE before i'm done playing it, it's like borderlands except without the awesome weapon drops from what i understand, nobody has anything but good things to say about it but... i just can't excuse blurry textures and stripped down RPG elements in a game that could so easily set the bar for millenia to come otherwise, personally.

i've also heard it's deceptively open worlded, meaning that it just does a good job of tricking you into not looking down and seeing that you're on rails, i've heard multiple accounts now of invisible walls being almost everywhere and that the game is indeed for the most part very linear and sort of a corridor FPS type.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:28   #3166
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Springfield DXM 9mm
5.25" barrel, black.

I get to pick it up in the morning.

Old 2nd October 2011, 17:53   #3167
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I stole these ideas from some people online, and honestly, I'm upset that I didn't do this with vehicles a decade and a half ago. I've always had the flashlights bouncing all over the place or buried in a bag somewhere, and always had to inconvenience myself to find the flashlights when I needed them, especially in the summer when I use them pretty much every night. The clips I bought were really inexpensive, but I had to get them online and pay shipping since our hardware stores suck platypus balls. Maglites and their clips are all made in the USA, something I can rarely say anymore.

This pair of clips fits the 2xAA Maglite.

These bigger clips fit all 2xD, 3xD, 4xD, 5xD, 6xD, etc. Maglite flashlights. On this particular vehicle, the door still closes without hitting the flashlight even if I slide the seat forward or backward, even if I replaced it with an extra long one. If you plan on trying this, Check for clearance first on your vehicle before drilling. Also, the clips hold with a very firm grip, so it's important that the mounting surface is very strong so that you don't break something when un-cliping the flashlight.

Old 3rd October 2011, 02:40   #3168
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

yeah maglites are always a good buy.

the one brand of flashlight you can be sure you'll never need to replace and if you get an LED replacement bulb as well it's nearly impossible to drain it's battery too.

nice find on the clips also.

personally though, i've never found a need for more than a maglite mini... well... beyond whacking somebody over the head with it.

Old 3rd October 2011, 03:48   #3169
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I have quite a few old maglites, all of which were originally incandescent, some of which have been since upgraded to LED. I have never owned a car without having a couple somewhere in it. One of them is almost as old as I am. They are strong enough to pound in tent stakes, to open beer bottles off the rim that surrounds the lens, to be left out in a storm and still be dry inside the next morning, to roll around a pickup bed while driving the woods like a maniac, and still work decades later. So far I haven't had to seriously threaten to hit anyone with one, but that's a nice plus should the need arise.

One thing I did notice: my first LED upgrade turned out to be bad - it sometimes flickers instead of holding steady, especially when I shake or bump the light. I thought it was a problem with the light, but the other bulbs I have don't have that problem in that light. The newer LED upgrade bulbs I have since bought have never had this problem. Those things are pretty expensive; for about $2 more you could just have the whole new flashlight instead of just the upgrade bulb.

Old 3rd October 2011, 05:02   #3170
rockouthippie
Banned

>some of which have been since upgraded to LED

These are getting better. I use halogen flashlight bulbs. They cost about $6 a piece, They are done in an hour and a half, but when you really want to see what the hell you are looking at...... For one thing LED light is too blue....

A good D cell mag-lite with a halogen bulb. You didn't need to hit them. They're blind.

Sometimes in the winter, I have to find a sloppy dog who knows it's gonna get a B-A-T-H. My back yard does have dog hiding places. An LED light doesn't cut it. Especially with BB. She knows her eyes betray her and won't look into the light.

Get out the maglite!
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:11   #3171
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
So far I haven't had to seriously threaten to hit anyone with one, but that's a nice plus should the need arise.
same, but i know for a fact especially the larger ones can crack someone's skull fairly easily, the cops use them as weapons all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
for about $2 more you could just have the whole new flashlight instead of just the upgrade bulb.
ah... that's the problem, you buy the upgrade bulb after the fact, i will admit if you need darkness destroying pure light output the standard or even halogen will do you much better candle power though.

but yeah personally, i love how long the battery lasts in my maglite mini so much with the LED replacement bulb i consider the flashlight only half as useful without one so it's always a buy both at the same time thing.

i admit though, if i had to use it more often for searching things out in the middle of nowhere i probably would buy a halogen bulb as well and just keep the mini for easy finds and the halogen with a spare set of batteries.

@RoH as a side note, if you want the brightest thing money can buy, grab one of these:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/The_Torch-74-41.html

you can scramble an egg on it's lens

currently being tested by guinness for the world record holder for brightest handheld flashlight.

Old 3rd October 2011, 16:34   #3172
SorceryKid

The Tascam club mixer I ordered finally arrived, and just in time for the local music festival. Been without one for ages. Made mobile gigs a real headache

Tascam X-17 Professional DJ Mixer

--Randall
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:18   #3173
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^That's a nice mixer; I like Tascam and still occasionally use an old M-06ST.

That torch is nice but it has a max battery life of around 5 minutes. More of a toy than something useful. For extra bright light, I just use the flashlights that came with my cordless tools. One is DeWalt 14.4 volt and about the power of a car headlight on high beam, the other is Porter Cable 18 volt and brighter than a car headlight. If I need something brighter yet, I use the deer spotter (7 million candlelight power ), but that isn't cordless although it's cord goes about 15 from the nearest vehicle cigarette lighter power port outlet. Finally if that isn't enough, I either make a fire or wait until daylight.

I was bored and posted a video of the pencil sharpener in action; quite powerful.

The review I put on the website where I bought it:

I have to sharpen around 600 pencils at a time when preparing for standardized testing as a school counselor. I was willing to pay for this very high end model because others overheat after only 15-40 virgin (new) pencils. I've done 200+ so far in the last hour and so far it hasn't overheated or needed it's auto-shut-off feature that protects it from overuse. I will probably do two more sets of 200 the next time I find something good to watch on TV. I have to say, this really does seem to perform at an "industrial strength" level.

Some noteworthy limitations - you really do have to push noticeably hard to get it to operate properly, to the point where you need your free hand holding the back of the sharpener. Also, it's auto stop sometimes leaves you pulling the pencil out with a shred or two of attached sawdust that you have to pick off.

Old 3rd October 2011, 23:54   #3174
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

true enough on the flashlight ted, it is just a toy to an extent i mean... i'll give you that to be practical it'd need to come with with a portable generator + an adaptor of some sort to run it off said generator.

but then again, just like all things that are "just a toy" i'd bet it's one of the most fun toys you could ever hope to find, they have a picture of someone lighting up an outside area behind their house porch looking type thing and there's snow on the ground.

no joking at all, i'd almost bet aside from the tiny battery life, with the heat it generates, you could probably almost use it as an in the dark snow blower sort of thing.

i saw some video review of the thing somewhere, probably youtube but the guy went on and on about the heat it generates, i was amazed when he claimed the beam itself was hot, not even too near the flashlight itself mind you the beam not the casing, not the lens, the beam.

not only that i remember seeing another one in a not dark but not bright indoors environment someone turned it on to show it's illuminating prowess you could full well see the entire beam and it wasn't that dark of a room it was like a sort of baby lightsaber.

maybe just a toy, but as i said, i'm sure we'd all enjoy playing with it very much all the same.

Old 4th October 2011, 01:29   #3175
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Don't worry, when I said "more of a toy than something useful", I didn't mean to say I wouldn't buy things that fit that description. I agree, toys are fun, and because of that I don't mind spending some money on them from time to time. For example, our last vehicle acquisition could have been the same model with a more-than-adequately-powered 179hp 4-cylinder engine, but we opted for the 269hp V6 engine, just for the toy factor.

My computer tower and monitor were bought in part for the "toy" factor too. Some of the specs are still absurdly high, even 3 full years after original purchase.

Old 7th October 2011, 02:13   #3176
fc*uk

The recipes in this book are beautifully simple. Yes they take time, but they are actually easy to do. They are his collection of recipes that earned Gordon his three michelin stars for his restaurant in Chelsea.

I own an autographed copy of Michael Mina's trio concept cookbook (two michelin stars), which is absolutely and equally amazing. The recipes are even better. However, these recipes are an absolute pain in the ass to make. They are both exceptionally difficult and time consuming. However, that does not stop me from loving his butter poached steak master recipe several times a year. I've done all three trio variants too (sometimes all at the same time); you will eat your arm.
Old 7th October 2011, 03:23   #3177
sgtfuzzbubble011

Speaking of books... I recently ordered an autographed copy of The Oatmeal's book. Highly recommended.

And after months of debating (and about a week's worth of actual research), I bought a Canon Pixma MG5220 all-in-one. I've been wanting a printer for a long time, but I could never really justify the purchase. I've been using my old flatbed scanner to scan stuff for about five years now (and it still works great), but I've never had the ability to actually print things. I know this model has kinda been replaced by the MG5320, but when I saw that Walmart had the MG5220 in stock for under $100 today, I couldn't pass it up. I've already got it set up on it's own little stand, and it's sooo shiny. Wireless printing = awesome. Only cable I had to hook up was the power cable. Haven't tried to scan anything yet, but its built-in flatbed scanner has a much higher resolution than my LiDE 25, so scans and copies should be pretty amazing.
Old 7th October 2011, 06:15   #3178
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Weapons over here!

Bought the Practical Plus line of the CAS Hanwei katana and wakizashi; Now I have a legitimate daisho set that I can use...For something that's built to offer practical cutting ability at an affordable price without sacrificing traditioin, it's really beautiful...Leather wrap on the tsuka-ito, real same (rayskin) on the tsuka, full tang, forged carbon blade...The designs on the menuki and habaki are also nice...Not something to be praised highly like an heirloom, and definitely not a traditional tamahagane nihinto, but it's respectable for what it is...

Smith & Wesson M&P 5LS pocket knife; 3.5" part-serrated blade with a spring-assisted open...Definitely a favorite blade of mine...

...right after those summer purchases of a Blackhawk Tatang and Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops karambit, of course... Filipino weaponry made modern

And I also bought a bunch of stuff from Magpul to help with the ergonomics and look of my rifle; On top of the MOE handguard I already have, I also bought another AFG2 angled foregrip, MOE grip, MOE trigger guard, CTR locking stock, and two PMAG 20-round magazines, all in Flat Dark Earth...Now I just need to find a range that isn't Knob Creek, and enough money to purchase a Trijicon ACOG, and I'll be set...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 8th October 2011, 14:14   #3179
rockouthippie
Banned

I bought a mate for my 9800GT video card so I can run SLI and 4 monitors. I will probably only run 3, but I felt like I needed the screen real estate.

I bought a watch. I hope it is better than the last Timex I bought. I have been wearing Timex watches since I was about 8. Only the last one sucked. I mean it really sucked. A Chi-Mex. Maybe it was a fake. I bought it at Target for $30. It just fell apart.

"Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin'" .... not that one... I spent $50 for a retail $89 one on ebay. Let's hope Timex hasn't lost all quality control. I have a few thrashed Timex watches up to 40 years old. Even the one I disked under with a tractor... and found 2 years later.... still runs.....

I'm used to wearing a watch until it gets ugly.... not retired because it fell apart.
Old 9th October 2011, 06:55   #3180
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I'm used to wearing a watch until it gets ugly.... not retired because it fell apart.
good point there but then again, watches in the $30 range go from disposable piece of shit to plastic thing that your child will like, not sure why you expected to find anything so durable in the bargain basement price range.

i paid $150 for mine and it's old, it's a bit uglier than it was a few years ago, but i've had it at least 6 years and it's never once required any maintenance, not even a battery change, winding or polishing, is it of course also solar so battery changes are a moot point.

but my point is, you pay more for quality, if you find it on sale, you know it'll die within a few years at best, or just not be very good.

i think eventually my calendar will be out of sync with reality due to the two digit year format it uses, but... i should have enough excuses for something nicer looking by then anyway and in all honesty i could keep using it at that point, but i do like knowing which actual day of the week it is, so i probably won't.

Old 9th October 2011, 21:29   #3181
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Finally got the chair shipped to me. It came disassembled, and despite my being pretty handy, it still took a long time to put together; I nearly stripped 3 bolts trying to line things up and fasten.

Also, I found out after receiving it that only the contact surfaces (top of seat cushion, front of seat-back, and armrest tops) are genuine leather whereas the sides and back of all that is fake leather. That was a very big disappointment considering the price point. Also, my feet don't completely touch the ground when the chair is at it's lowest setting; which is odd, because I'm an average 6 footer. That won't matter too much since I usually have my feet up when home-computing anyway. Everything else about it seems ok though. Given the chance to turn back time I may have gone with this one. Here's the one I actually did get:

Old 10th October 2011, 11:01   #3182
rockouthippie
Banned

>watches in the $30 range go from disposable piece of shit to plastic thing that your child will like, not sure why you expected to find anything so durable in the bargain basement price range.

I wasn't expecting a $30 Timex to last years. It should last more than a couple months. I have a Skaagen watch with a dead battery. It was $30. It's probably 5 years old.
Old 11th October 2011, 19:59   #3183
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I wasn't expecting a $30 Timex to last years. It should last more than a couple months. I have a Skaagen watch with a dead battery. It was $30. It's probably 5 years old.
fair enough honestly on both accounts.

i think the only explanation possible really is inflation caught up with your watch buying budget.

Old 12th October 2011, 02:17   #3184
rockouthippie
Banned

I haven't got the watch yet, but looking at the auction again, I think this watch is identical to one I bought 12 years ago for about $80. If it is, it will be fine. The old one has had 10 years, three batteries and still runs. The plating has worn off and it looks like shit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0390004721

It looks like Newegg has the same watch for the same money.

>inflation

Where I've really been noticing that is food. Even BB dog food. It was $23 a bag a couple months ago. Now it's $28. My own chow seems to be setting me back about like that.
Old 12th October 2011, 02:38   #3185
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

With food/groceries, they get you two ways - first a relatively small increase in price, but then with a very significant reduction in portion size for that slightly higher price. That really gets me angry. More money for significantly less product, and now because of it I end up throwing away more packaging.

Old 12th October 2011, 06:12   #3186
rockouthippie
Banned

A 40lb bag of Costco kibble is still 40 lbs. Add a buck a pound to any steak lately. You don't find $2 pork loins. They're $2.30....

Just creeping up. I think about 15% over a year. The price of bell peppers paused me today, but I just really wanted some stuffed green peppers.

Fresh farmer corn this year was 3/$1. I remember 10/$1 5 years ago. It was 4/$1 last year.

Maybe I should start eating kibble. Trying to keep grocery costs at some sort of reasonable level while eating decent is getting harder.

I made a grocery order to Safeway today and skipped the $7.80 a pound shoulder chops. They were $5 2 months ago....... been 4-$5 for years.........

I haven't had lamb for a couple months now. Maybe I'll break down soon....
Old 13th October 2011, 03:55   #3187
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

You're lucky then. A 25 pound bag of the dog food I buy isn't available anymore; it's now 20, and somehow slightly more expensive than the 25 was. I used to do the 40 pounder, but I only have one dog down here now since the move; the rest are with family due to lack of space.

Old 13th October 2011, 09:34   #3188
rockouthippie
Banned

Costco Lamb and Rice kibble (BB food) is now $28 for 40lbs instead of $23 like it was a couple months ago. It seems like the food inflation is not only high, but it's accelerating. Things have been going up over the last couple years, but it seems like the last 3 or 4 months have been really bad. Maybe I'm just noticing it getting out of hand. Maybe the last 3 or 4 months have been worse. I'm not sure.
Old 13th October 2011, 09:36   #3189
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

true enough, telling the the checkout dude that something was a "decent price" is also a major no-no apparently, sometimes i almost want to gouge them back.

oh well, lesson learned.

Old 13th October 2011, 09:48   #3190
rockouthippie
Banned

My deal is that I have had a food budget of about $300 a month, which used to let me eat really well. A good steak once a week and like that. Now the menu has Mac n' Cheese in it, which I haven't done since college.

I think a couple months ago, staples weren't that affected. It seems like inexpensive meat, milk, cheese and bread are up.
Old 14th October 2011, 22:15   #3191
fc*uk

Shit. I bought flank steak in Toronto for about $14.00 CAD per pound.

Now that's being bent over a barrel.

Oh, that was direct from a butcher. And others wanted a very similar price (the range was 14-16).
Old 15th October 2011, 01:47   #3192
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I bought flank steak in Toronto for about $14.00 CAD per pound.
One thing about Canada. They get a lot better beef than we get. Standard cuts in Canada would be what we call USDA choice. I about had a heart attack when I saw the price of meat in Canada until I understood that you get what you pay for. You can get the same meat in the United States. You will pay for it. I was told that Canada has very stringent meat inspection and grading.

My impression was "Damn good beef!"..... at a price....
Old 16th October 2011, 00:28   #3193
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
More RAM for my iMac, 16gb yeah!

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
Old 16th October 2011, 04:32   #3194
rockouthippie
Banned

I got the 9800GT card I ordered and am happily running 4 monitors. I got the Timex I ordered too. Very nice. It makes me suspect that the Timex I bought from Target was a counterfeit.
Old 20th October 2011, 01:54   #3195
fc*uk

de Buyer mineral fry pans.

These things look like a treat. Let's hope they work like a treat too.

psssssst: these are french made so they are just called a fry pan. Americano's (and maybe the rest of the world) call these a french skillet. Different from a normal skillet due to the high walls of these.

My oven in my apartment blows something very close to monkey balls and I am unable to really use it; it even burns pizza due to it's massively inconsistent heating. These are my only hope to avoiding my oven all together.
Old 21st October 2011, 05:23   #3196
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

[facepalm]

a few cases of bottled water,

because my whole damn football team (including head coach and assistant coach swingdjted) forgot to bring the water bottles when boarding the bus for an away game. We didn't realize this until a while after leaving (before arriving) and had to stop at a grocery store in the bus on the way.

[/facepalm]

Old 22nd October 2011, 06:10   #3197
rockouthippie
Banned

I have some good T-fal heavy metal pans. I think I gave $140 for the set. Like you, my oven is a piece of shit. This works ok or you can use Corning Pyrex. Pyrex is thick enough to usually moderate hot spots pretty well.

I didn't buy a single thing today, which would be unusual.
Old 22nd October 2011, 06:33   #3198
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I use Corning [and] Pyrex (same company now?) quite often. Expensive, but you buy it once and never buy anything again. I currently have a really old Tappan olive green double wall oven from the '70s. Despite it's insane age, it heats pretty evenly, which is pretty surprising. I thought it might be because I use pretty good brands of casseroles, etc. but even a sheet of cookies turns out pretty uniform.

Old 22nd October 2011, 14:21   #3199
rockouthippie
Banned

The new Corning cookware is soda glass, not boricosilate like the old stuff. The old stuff was slightly better. I got mine from scavenging thrift shops over the years. I have a couple pieces of the 1950's purple variety.

>but you buy it once and never buy anything again

I have some of this stuff including some bread pans. I don't think any of it is younger than me.

What I like is that it's thick enough to use without pre-heating the oven. I turn on the oven, toss some french fries in, wait a half hour, turning once. It's french fries.
Old 23rd October 2011, 21:55   #3200
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
A couple of new knives:

http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classi...9403210&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classi...9403230&sr=1-1

New cookware:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Cont.../dp/B002WPG0QY

I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the knives, but I'm less sure about Cusinart cookware. I've never used it before. However, I needed new pots and pans and couldn't wait for shipping. (Girlfriend moved out, see another thread I'll make about it).

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions