Old 17th September 2015, 00:56   #1
BLCR

Song Title Oddity

I have a customer that came up with this odd title on the shoutcast page...

Might someone know why a song title that is:

artist name as:
BOB THE WORST DJ - DARK HOUR - English vs German and a polish

and song title as:
Clawfinger - Volbeat - Eisbrecher - Hasiok - Farmer Boys - Klangstabil - Korn - Megahertz - Chase & Status - Klangstabil - Lindemann

Comes out on the DNAS page (and receiver screens) as

BOB THE WORST DJ - DARK HOUR - English vs German and a polish - Clawfinger - Volbeat - Eisbrecher - Hasiok - Farmer Boys - Klangstabil - Korn - Megahertz - Chase & ?? @{???? @|???? @}???? @}???? @}???? ?~???? @}???? ?~???? @}???? @}?? ? @}???

Is there a character limit on artist name - song title? Are there too many dashes? Or is this an issue with the control panel we are using? The file is on an autodj control panel.

Thanks!
BLCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 10:42   #2
ryerman
Major Dude

My guess: the ampersand (&) needs to be escaped.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 12:23   #3
BLCR

ryerman, I thought the same. However when we trimmed the artist field to just BOB THE WORST DJ, The rest of the song title came up fine. That's why I was wondering of there was a character limit, or perhaps to many dashes (-) particularly in the artist field.

Once we re-added the rest of the artist name, which is what the customer prefers, we got the ?? @{???? @|???? @}???? @}???? @}???? ?~???? @}???? ?~???? @}???? @}?? ? @}??? after the Chase &.

Btw, this is on a v1 server.
Old 18th September 2015, 12:32   #4
Unknown Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
My guess: the ampersand (&) needs to be escaped.
I'd say the same thing...but if for some reason the title appears normal when he trims the artist field a bit I'd have to agree with him.

I've also had weird title rejection errors out of my V2 server, but it turned out that the files I was using had special accented characters but of course since the software I was using could display them...I didn't notice they ended up in the id3 tags.

It's like the programmer's prank of swapping out semicolons or quotes with special characters...visually they look the same...but wreak havoc otherwise.

What I do with SHOUTcast otherwise on TuneIn
Unknown Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 13:07   #5
ryerman
Major Dude

BLCR, you might find a character limit by trial and error.
I made a guess, but I have no knowledge of internet broadcasting in general and the Shoutcast software in particular.
Maybe an expert will respond. If so, I bet the 1st suggestion will be to update the server version.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 13:15   #6
BLCR

ryerman - agreed. I prefer not to switch to newer version at this time due to the old SHOUTcast license key being needed when using the CentovaCast Control Panels. They are hard to find, and if found, there is an expense to it for the customer (albeit very inexpensive). Centova still uses SC_Trans v2 in their panel, which is why the key is needed.

I appreciate the reply and would have agreed with you had I not played with the length of artist field. Alas, that artist field and title is what is preferred by the customer.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support