Old 23rd May 2005, 15:35   #1
onestar

Winamp 5.091 tries to phone home?

(This was posted in a different forum, but because of what I consider the seriousness of this, I'm creating a new posting.)

What I'd like to know is why Winamp is "phoning home" whenever I exit the program?

I've set the player up so that it's not connected to the Internet, not to look for updates, and not to report statistics back, but ever since I've upgraded to 5.091, whenever I close Winamp, my firewall pops up and says that Winamp is trying to connect to 205.188.244.138 on port 80.

What the hell, guys? What gives? Got some secret little "phone home" dll running in the background?

I don't like this. I'm very concerned about privacy...I've used Winamp for years, and have never seen this.

Unless this is addresses, I'm gonna have to look for a different music player...
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 16:16   #2
squall14716

Send a message via ICQ to squall14716 Send a message via AIM to squall14716 Send a message via Yahoo to squall14716
Preferences -> General Preferences -> Media Library -> Online Media -> Streaming Media Cache Preferences -> Modify Preferences -> Look for new Online Media Channels on exit.
squall14716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 16:31   #3
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

although it shouldnt be trying to update if you have winamp set up with "no internet connection available".

I still think it should update when you actually try to use the channels or something though, because people expect it to connect to the internet then. *shrug*

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 14:14   #4
onestar

Thanks for the heads-up, guys, and sorry if I sounded pissed.
That was buried pretty deep, tho...and it's weird that, even though I've told it I'm not connected to the 'net, it would still try to update.

Maybe that's something that can be addressed down the line.
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 14:54   #5
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

yeah, like i said, it shouldnt do it if you have winamp set to no internet connection available. cant be bothered to check if thats the case, but you might have just identified a bug.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 16:17   #6
ujay
Forum King

On a related note.

The 'not connected ... ' setting is ignored with radio streams as well.
I always figured this was because Winamp is going to provide an error message anyway so it makes no difference.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion