Old 25th February 2006, 10:00   #1
Latkey

Angry ml_iPod users be careful with 5.2!!

Please do yourself a favor and backup the /iTunes/ folder that holds your iTunesDB files before trying out 5.2.

Now I don't know for sure that this caused my problem, but I did see in another thread it was recommended to remove ml_iPod if you are going to use the new portables support in 5.2.

I left ml_iPod installed on 5.13 when I installed 5.2 over it. Upon trying to access my iPod, winamp hung for several minutes so I killed the process.

After restarting, I found my iPod was named after one of my playlists, and the only music that was listed were tracks from that playlist. Disconnecting my iPod, I saw the same thing had happened on it as well - all my music (40G) was gone.

The actual files are still on the iPod, but the iTunesDB is apparently corrupted. I'll have to find 40G of space somewhere to copy the files to and re-add them all to the iPod.

It would have been great if ml_iPod was disabled by default or at least if there was a warning message or something displayed before trying to use it in 5.2.

Several others are having similar problems as well :

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=239011
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=238970

I hope that 5.2's portable support someday works as well as ml_iPod and I congratulate Will on the fantastic work he's done so far with both versions of this tool. Personally I'm going to stick with 5.13 and ml_iPod for a while.
Latkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 02:53   #2
tborsje

This problem happened with my ipod aswell - its db was corrupted and only metallica showed up. To fix it without copying all the files off it, just rename iTunesDB.old to iTunesDB in the \iPod_Control\iTunes folder of your ipod.
tborsje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 13:49   #3
Thunder Pussy
Feed me a stray dog
(Major Dude)

You don't have to install portables support with 5.02. It's easy to see how pmp_ipod & ml_ipod trying to access/write to the ipod simultaneously might harm the db.

Anyhow, sorry to hear about your loss. Winamp 5.2 & ml_ipod are compatible for me.
Thunder Pussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 17:13   #4
onestar

Quote:
Originally posted by tborsje
This problem happened with my ipod aswell - its db was corrupted and only metallica showed up. To fix it without copying all the files off it, just rename iTunesDB.old to iTunesDB in the \iPod_Control\iTunes folder of your ipod.
THANK YOU!

This worked perfectly, tborsje! You've saved me quite a few headaches...it's much appreciated!

onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 17:40   #5
shepard

I was trying both for a few days without any trouble. I decided to keep using ml_iPod for now. As suggested in another thread, (description below), I just renamed the new files and continue to use ml_iPod.

close Winamp, rename ml_pmp.dll to ml_pmp.dll.off and pmp_ipod.dll to pmp_ipod.dll.off, then just continue to use ml_ipod as before.
shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 23:42   #6
rob21iscoolio

Quote:
do you delete the other one?? theres already a iTunesDB on it and a iTunesdb.old
rob21iscoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 03:55   #7
Courtarro

Send a message via AIM to Courtarro
Exclamation Original ml_ipod not functioning

I've tinkered with about every possible setting in Winamp, on my iPod, and in iTunes, and I can't get the original ml_ipod to work in WA 5.2. I'm posting on here as a last call for help before I downgrade to 5.13. I've renamed ml_pmp.dll and the pmp_*.dll files (those are overkill, I say), but my ipod refuses to show up in the list. I've followed every step in the ml_ipod FAQ regarding reformatting and using iTunes to prep the iPod, but to no avail. Any more suggestions?

Is it possible that the original plugin no longer has a place to put the iPod option in the media library since "Devices" became "Rip & Burn" ? Help!
Courtarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 13:13   #8
jamiloquai

OK, i renamed the database, and restarted Winamp. it didn't work. i shut down winamp, and started itunes. it didn't recognize the ipod at all. Do i need to restart the machine, do something else? what?

the majority of my music is very old. old enough that it wasn't easy to create the files with tags, so there are a ton of playlists that i need to access the music on the ipod. here's a link to the DB. http://207.5.18.15/jake/ipodDB.zip the "old2" is the supposedly corrupted version.

if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, i would be very appreciative. Thanks.
jamiloquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 14:02   #9
Latkey

This is the case for me as well. The iTunesDB.old file I had didn't fix it and it still doesn't appear in even the 5.13 media library.

Someting really weird has happened to my db. My iPod doesn't appear at all when connected, but the playlists do, as root-level items in the ML tree...

I've already started manually going through my 40G of music looking for id3s that need added/changed/updated so I can rebuild my ipod db after I format it.
Latkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 16:21   #10
jamiloquai

i went ahead and copied all of th emusic folders from the ipod to the PC, and changed the properties to none with hidden or read only checked. then i added the whole set to the itunes library. it sorted them in a somewhat reasonable manner, and it only took a couple of hours to clean up the rest. so assuming after i reset the ipod to factory settings, and itunes recognizes it, i should be able to import th ewhole library to the ipod. i won't have any of the play lists, but at least i salvaged all of the music, and it' snot too much worse finding specific items.
jamiloquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 04:54   #11
Panther37

Send a message via ICQ to Panther37 Send a message via AIM to Panther37 Send a message via Yahoo to Panther37
I just made this fix if your ipod got fried: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=240152
Panther37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 10:42   #12
ktjensen

yes, my itunes database and the ipod connectivity was all messed up also. I have the 5G video.

Had to do a hard IPOD restore to get it all back.
ktjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 19:15   #13
pkohn

fixed corrupted iTunes database

I had the same problem that others have.
My ipod's name turned into the name of one of the playlists
and several recently added albums did not show up either
on the ipod or in the winamp window.
What I did was use mediamonkey, which has a right click
option to rebuild the database.
It seems to have brought back my missing files.
My damage was not as bad as some on this thread...

If any winamp people are listening, I think it happened
when the filesystem on the ipod was full. Maybe it
is attempting to write the database when there is no
space to do it?
pkohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 12:50   #14
platinum

yes, be very careful - I was wondering what was going on when my ipod only had 100 songs on it when I fired it up at work.

Anyway, the above fix using 'mediamonkey' seemed to work, perhaps winamp could add a function like that in future releases?

Anyway this new pmp plugin looks like it could be awesome.
platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 05:26   #15
lull

Quote:
oh, thank you, tborsje!! you are a GOD!!!
i just finished copying the hidden folder to my computer (37Gb of it) and thought i had to get iTunes to reorganize the whole thing to put it back on my iPod. but your solution WORKED! thank you you just saved me a LOT of grief

i only wanted Winamp to play files on my PC, not organize my iPod. i'm staying with iTunes for that anyway. good riddance, ml_ipod.
lull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 21:26   #16
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

The new ml_ipod 1.32 has a check toprevent double installation (ml_ipod AND pmp_ipod), so the problem should be gone with that version. Hope so...

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 13:20   #17
brokeMyIpod

Winamp broke my damn ipod.. Unbelieveable that they do so little testing... Easily amongst the biggest of Winamps bad ideas..
brokeMyIpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 06:30   #18
aceman67

I isntalled the latest version of the plugin from the Programmers website, and my Shuffle works perfectly (Before it wouldn't show up in the Media Library)
aceman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 13:09   #19
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Actually, it is not very clear which plugin you are talking about.
At the moment there are 2 (!) possibilities to have an iPod connected to Winamp:
The (old, but still maintained) ml_ipod, and the new pmp_ipod that ships with Winamp 5.2x.

ml_ipod has much more features at the moment, but the future is pmp_ipod. This is maintained by Nullsoft. There is no "developer website" for this one. Probably it will have all the ml_ipod features one day.

You must choose one of them, if both are present, it can (and will) mess up your iPod.

Both versions are written by Will, but he only works on pmp_* no. On the other hand, I try to fix some bugs in ml_ipod, because I prefer this plugin, and it is open source.
-Achim

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 5th February 2007, 01:14   #20
Caesius

Quote:
Originally posted by onestar
THANK YOU!

This worked perfectly, tborsje! You've saved me quite a few headaches...it's much appreciated!

Doesnt work...
Caesius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 09:17   #21
BCan

Best to use the DB repair method of ml_ipod rather than try and overwrite old DB's.

More often than not it was already corrupt when the itunesdb.old was created.

Right click on your iPod in the Media Library, and go with the options from there
BCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 11:15   #22
Seachicken

This is somewhat catastrophic for me, I am experiencing this same problem (on a brand new ipod) except now my ipod does not work at all. The $computer will not let me browse it, itunes will not recognise it and neither will winamp, I cannot even turn it on any more without an error message telling me to plug the ipod into the computer.
Seachicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 11:32   #23
Seachicken

After connecting it to another computer, itunes now recognises it, but when I attempt to restore it like its asking me to, it fails half way through.
Old 15th February 2007, 11:47   #24
Seachicken

How odd, I removed and redid winamp and ml_ipod, the ipod connected fine and I started to sync. Howver, after 3 songs the ipod slowed down in transfer speed to nothing and the error message "The speciefied I/O operation on \Device\Harddisk\DR20 was not completed before the time-out period expired"
Old 15th February 2007, 11:49   #25
Seachicken

I hit try again and it got 3 tracks before pausing, then when I tried to eject the ipod it said it was full and wouldn't let me eject it.
Old 15th February 2007, 13:46   #26
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

My bet: Hardware failure!

Old 15th February 2007, 13:46   #27
Seachicken

Sigh, after a lot of trying, I guess I have no option but to give up on winamp and return to iTunes
Old 15th February 2007, 13:47   #28
Seachicken

I don't think hardware failure because itunes is loading the songs fine.
Old 15th February 2007, 13:49   #29
Seachicken

If it is hardware failure I'm going to have to have very stern words with the Apple people, this ipod is a brand new replacement of the last one that died.
Old 15th February 2007, 14:57   #30
Seachicken

Yeesh, my ipod won't even restore with itunes any more
Old 15th February 2007, 19:50   #31
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Might be the hardware of your computer? (USB port...)? But if it doesn't work with iTunes on a different computer, it's time to visit your Apple store

Old 30th December 2010, 19:00   #32
pokeyouindaeye

Send a message via ICQ to pokeyouindaeye
Quote:
Originally Posted by tborsje View Post
Made some progress with this method after trying to re-set the FWID, restoring with MediaMonkey and Winamp, resets... now I can at least recognize some songs on my iPod with MediaMonkey and Winamp (ml_ipod) and start trying to rebuild the library.

Thanks tborsje.
pokeyouindaeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 14:36   #33
spaids

When this happens to me. (Randomly) Winamp has been able to fix it every time by doing the following.

Options\Preferences\Advanced\ then click the button to tell it to "Scan" for Gapless Playback.

It only takes a few seconds and all the files that were on my ipod yet inaccessible are then back and everything is rainbows and sunshine.
spaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion