Old 29th July 2013, 12:17   #1
Albert78

Media library broken/loses ratings after rescan

Hey guys,
I'm a happy Winamp user for many years now. But since some time (maybe a year? I'm not sure because I don't use the rescan operation so often), I have the same problem as it was discussed in this thread. That problem was never really solved.

The problem: After I do a rescan of my media library, some of my music ratings are lost and other ratings appear which were never there before.

I can help myself by reimporting my formerly saved ML content from an XML file after the rescan operation, but I'm still wondering how a rescan can mix up my music ratings.

My system:
Winamp 5.65
About 150 GB media, 1,7 GB videos, the rest music (various formats, most of them mp3)
Windows 7 64 bit
6 GB RAM
The media files are located on a drive letter X which is blend in via the DOS SUBST command, but actually, that should not make a difference.

Details:
I tried multiple times a "clear media library" from the ML options page, followed by a reimport of the XML file. After that, the ratings are ok. I check that by looking at my highest rated music view; normally, it contains 257 songs.
Then I start the rescan operation. I wait until the rescan has finished. After that, every time the ratings are mixed up. The result is always the same: The highest rated music view then contains 82 songs, some are missing and there are files which weren't rated at all before. Especially in the mixed-up state there are 2 complete albums contained which were not rated before.

I have even deleted the media library from disc and rebuilt it by importing that XML file. The same result after the rescan opertion.

During the rescan operation, the memory doesn't increase much over 200 MB, so there is no Out-Of-Memory-Error during the rescan.

Is that problem known? Is there maybe a log file where I can look to find some crash of the music importer?

I have read that a chunked rescan is proposed to narrow down files which perhaps cause that problem. But how can I do such a chunked rescan? I have all music in one directory, ordered by artist folders, ordered by album folders inside. So I cannot just do some binary search by only adding some folders to my watched folders, that would take hours and days...

Thanks for reading and hopefully for your help!

Last edited by Albert78; 29th July 2013 at 14:18.
Albert78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 04:05   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
do you save ratings to tags?

that's much safer, and much less likely to cause weirdness.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 16:36   #3
Albert78

That would be an option at least to workaround the loss of ratings in case of a broken media library. But that doesn't solve the actual problem... And how to recover the media library from the saved tags? And when does winamp update the mp3 files? Would I have to set the ratings for all MP3 files again?
Old 31st July 2013, 16:54   #4
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert78 View Post
That would be an option at least to workaround the loss of ratings in case of a broken media library. But that doesn't solve the actual problem...
it does solve the issue as Winamp uses what you've got in the file tags when importing into the library / re-reading from the files during re-scans. so ensuring what's in the files is correct will solve the issue.

Quote:
And how to recover the media library from the saved tags? And when does winamp update the mp3 files?
just adding the files to the library or in a library view selecting all and refreshing the metadata (via the right-click menu) will do it.

Quote:
Would I have to set the ratings for all MP3 files again?
yes as well as enabling the option for Winamp to save the ratings into the file tags directly via preferences -> media library -> options tab -> check "Save ratings to file for compatible formats (default: off)". then you need to re-rate the files and it'll be saved into them (dependent upon the tag / file format supporting it).

you can make specific smartviews based on the rating to get everything that's 1*, 2*, etc and then batch select and rate them all in one go (via the right-click rating menu). though you'll likely need to do it specifically for some files (based on the wording of your questions seems to imply that some are badly tagged / rated).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 18:30   #5
Albert78

The results of that is better now; after re-rating all the formerly rated files and rescanning, I get all ratings back for the files which were formerly rated.
But those files which also formerly came into the set of 5-stars files after the re-scan although they were not rated before (the 2 albums I mentioned in my first message) now also have 5 stars after re-scan.
So maybe it's really that Winamp didn't break the ML but it was just reading the MP3 tag data and the tags of most of the files were just set to a value different from that rating which was set in the media library, so the re-scan overwrote the original ML ratings...

So the solution to set the ratings to the MP3 tags seems really to be a solution to the problem. Or maybe just a removal of the MP3 tag data for the ratings to preserve the ratings in the media library the next time....

Thanks very much MrSinatra and DrO!
Old 31st July 2013, 18:46   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

And from what I've read in the forums, it is not a good idea to use Windows Explorer or Windows Media Player to rate your files.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 18:47   #7
DrO

you could say the same about rating files at all
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 00:52   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Albert,

if you want to know how ratings work "under the hood" then I suggest searching the forums here for threads with "POPM" in them, and similar terms like ratings (and Wikipedia too). I have many posts on the subject, as ratings are very important to me, and having them in tags properly is also important to me.

it may be the case that the ML has some kind of bug for maintaining ratings properly when ratings are NOT stored in the tag, or it may be you misinterpreted what was happening based on some rating related data in the tag u may not have known about, but honestly imo ratings are metadata like any other and properly belong in the tags, not a DB only, esp since the DB itself can crash.

--
Old 1st August 2013, 21:31   #9
Albert78

Just a short answer, MrSinatra,
yes, I know what tags are and I know what a DB is. And in my opinion, ratings do actually not belong into the files because they are specific to the user. In fact, they are specific to a special use case, for example I would rate a file high for my personal listening but rate it low for a party playlist. My friend would rate the files completely different. Thats why I think ratings belong into a (personalized) media library.

But for a personal music collection of MP3 files, it's a good workaround to have the ratings stored in the MP3 tags...

Btw, I am the former development lead of MediaPortal 2, so I should know a bit about the topic :-)
Old 2nd August 2013, 00:45   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

the id3 POPM spec allows for personalized ratings, and winamp does allow you to set the string, but it does not as yet allow users to discern ratings from one another or multiple ratings at all.

i'm hoping winamp does before some other program does. but in any case, I stand by what I said, ratings belong in tags like any other metadata, regardless of if the app in question fully exploits the ability or not.

(proper exploitation would allow you to rate a file more than once for either or even both cases, meaning multiple users, or multiple ratings for one user for multiple scenarios)

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports