Old 6th January 2010, 21:47   #1
dtresearch

Winamp 5.56 crash adding 10000+ files to library

I am trying to add all my mp3 files to the library. The larger folders contain more than 10,000 songs in subfolders by artist and album. WinAmp repeatedly crashes partway through the second part of the process. This is called "Getting information from files". WinAmp crashes after approximately 9000 files. Am using 5.56, will try 5.571.

5.571 hasn't crashed, but it has gotten really slow at 93% of 9996 files. The only way around this would be to add all 1500 folders individually or place them in sub-groups, which is not practical. It has now finished sucessfully.

The next step will be to add the parent folder, which has about 60,000 files minus the 10,000 already scanned.
dtresearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 22:39   #2
dtresearch

OK. 5.571 crashed on 78% of 50,000 files. That is certainly an improvement. This is Windows XP SP3. It is a Pentium 4, 2.8G, 2G ram. 88g free on the CWinAmp) drive. Will provide any other info necessary. I need to solve this to get the computer out of here. The files were previously added piecemeal, which worked OK. Now they have to be added "en mass", which is where we are having a problem.
Old 9th January 2010, 19:33   #3
dtresearch

I got it to work by moving most of the folders elsewhere, scanning, adding some more folders, scanning again, and so on, until I had all of them. It still crashes dependably when I try to scan a humongous number of files all at once.
Old 16th January 2010, 20:02   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
try 5.572

also, u could add in chunks then do rescans all at once.

first time initial scans are more intense then rescans.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 02:15   #5
dtresearch

If you add a chunk, then add another chunk, then do a rescan, would it not be the same as adding a bigger chunk, which crashes WinAmp? I guess the scanning process hasn't been "infinitized". WMP10 doesnt crash, but it gets sluggish and starts skipping during playback on this single-core mschine with all these files in the library. That's why I went to WinAmp. I don't have much experience with the libraries. I usually play my files from the folders. Is there reason to think this has been improved in 5.572? I could erase everything and start over to try it.
Old 29th July 2011, 13:23   #6
Uwe Fissenebert

Winamp crashes since years and there is no fix

I'm a PRO-User since years, and this issue discussed here was never ever fixed by winamp.

This issue is known for years, numerous threads are written about it - and the bug is still there.

Winamp ist the only player I use which has problems scanning big numbers of files to its library. Since years I never had a library with all my files in it. I followed every single advice f.e. partial scanning, adding a little bit more, rescan, and so on - nothing did really work.

Scanning the library is a central and major feature for a media player. I can not understand why this central feature does not get fixed. Fixing this d*** issue MUST be the of the list for the developer team.

I installed Winamp on a new machine last week, with lots of memory, multi-core cpu and all my media on a big extern harddisk. I started V 5.6.2.1 and tried to scan my media. The scan was - for this machine - slow and crashed winamp after about poor 9,000 files - and I can not exceed this number. It feels like a flashback to the last century, when I bought my first PRO version of winamp.

Please, dear technicians, FIX THIS ISSUE. I like Winamp, but my patience has come to an end.

Sorry for the straight words, but it has to be said very clear:

more than 10 years are more than enough to fix a central bug of winamp. If the present scan-routine is unsufficient for big numbers of files, change it. There is more than one way to scan files.

Best regards.
Uwe Fissenebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 13:26   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

i have 50k+ and NEVER had it crash scanning my files. not saying it doesn't happen, but it def doesn't happen to me.

then again, i run mp3val on my files, strip all tags but v2.3 from my files, etc...

when you add files to the ML, how do you do it? what method do you use? (i use watch folders)

--
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:11   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I currently have 66000 files and Winamp does not have a problem with scans. Neither virgin fresh scans on a new PC, or scans to clear dead files, or the scans to add more folders or just "update". This is on a wide ranging spec of PCs - from Beast to Scrap.

The tracks are a mixed selection - FLAC and MP3 rips I have done myself. FLACs and MP3s from mates being stored as a backup for them. And some of these include P2P sourced crud.

Now there ARE ways to crash the scanner. And I have done it. For me it has always been caused by corrupted files, corrupted TAGS, or mislabelled files. In one of the releases last year, I found it crashed whenever it scanned a folder on my server. This had tracks from a friend of mine who had used a P2P network to source his music. The track at fault was actually an M4A file with an incorrect MP3 file extension. This was bug reported and a fix was implemented.

I would suggest that you try narrowing down which files are causing your crashes of the Media Library scan. Does it always seem to happen around the same place?

Using the Chunking method suggested above, try to narrow down the folder with the troublesome files. Then use something like MediaInfo to find out what the track REALLY is. ( http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/ )

(No - I have no links with MediaInfo, just it seems to have been the answer to a couple of issues tonight )
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 13:07   #9
dtresearch

I haven't tried this for some time. At the time I described the problem, I was able to get around it by scanning the files in groups. I was eventually able to scan all the files this way. As far as I know, the files are not corrupt, as I was eventually able to scan them all by adding a few thousand at a time. This took a while. The total is over 125,000. I don't normally use libraries in media players myself. I run the files from the folders where they are stored, or copy subsets to SD chips for one of my Zvues, or other portable devices. In this case, at the time I ran into the problem, I was preparing a separate computer with a copy of all my media, to function as a "live backup". Since the computer was going to be used by others, it seemed reasonable to provide access to the media in a library, as the folders where they exist are organized according to source, and the sources are excessively complicated. Although I haven't tried it, I suspect that Windows 7 "libraries" will also circumvent this issue by allowing me to organize all the media folders into a single "virtual library".
Old 22nd June 2013, 22:49   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

this thread reminded me of these old issues, maybe the people having the crashes could try 5.7 and see if they can generate a crash report?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=2945306

--
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:58   #11
dtresearch

Haven't Tried for a While

OK. I will try it.
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:24   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtresearch View Post
OK. I will try it.
and are you able to reproduce the crash, and generate a report?

there is a new 5.7 as of today btw.

--
Old 24th July 2013, 00:41   #13
ryerman
Major Dude

Welcome back!

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin