Old 14th October 2015, 21:46   #1
armymedicmom

Saving Custom Tags

I will be switching to a new computer, and need to transfer all my music and playlists in winamp. I have made customized smartviews. As an example: I teach 4 classes a week. So I've made a custom tag for every song. Where "composer" is, I've typed in "Monday"; where "publisher" is, I've typed in "Tuesday", etc. Now when I go to the Monday class, I just clicked on the smartview for Monday, and all the tracks I use for that class shows up, and I don't have to search for anything. This is obviously a very tedious task putting it together.

When I load winamp on the new computer, is there a way that these tracks can maintain my custom tags? I've heard about the winamp backup tool, but I'm not familiar with how it works.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
armymedicmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 06:38   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hi

What Winamp version are you using? The latest patched 5.666?

What file format/extension are the songs?
e.g. mp3, wav, flac, mp4, etc

How did you add those tags? Was it via the "Edit Metadata" dialog in the Media Library?

If yes, then was "Update file tags...." kept checkmarked at the bottom of said dialog?

If the file format/extension is one which supports tags (such as mp3, flac, mp4, wma, etc) then the changes will have been written to the actual file tags, and there's nothing else you need to do. They'll still be in the file tags when you use the same files on the new computer., and everything will work the same after you rescan your files in and set up the custom views again.

The only problem will be if 1) the format doesn't support file tags, not in Winamp anyway (such as WAV, or AVI, MPG, MKV, etc), and 2) if you were using an old version of Winamp from before writing the Publisher & Composer fields to tags was implemented.

You can also use the Export Media Database tool via the main Library button (bottom left corner of the ML), which will save the Local Media database to an XML file, which you can then reimport later - but note that (like the Backup Tool), it will only work if the media files have the exact same path & filename as before.... i.e. if they were E:\Music\Artist\Album\Title1.mp3 before, then they would also need to be E:\Music\Artist\Album\Title1.mp3 on the new comp.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 12:50   #3
armymedicmom

Thanks so much for your response. I've seemed to have done 'most' things right, but not all.

I'm using version 5.666 build 3512. I did use the edit metadata to make my custom tags, but I only hit the 'updata' button, and did not check the box for update file tags if supported by the tagging format. I guess I can go into each 'class view' and open each songand check that box. It will be a lot easier then typing all that info again.

As for exporting and importing to the new computer, the real important stuff will be sing the same path. I do have some on an sd card, but I can re-enter those; I'm not as concerned about them.

Is the best way to use the 'import/export under the media library, or use the winamp backup tool? The last time I changed computers, I re-did everything manually because I didn't know how to do it. I'm not looking forward to that again.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 16th October 2015, 14:29   #4
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymedicmom View Post
...As an example: I teach 4 classes a week. So I've made a custom tag for every song. Where "composer" is, I've typed in "Monday"; where "publisher" is, I've typed in "Tuesday", etc. Now when I go to the Monday class, I just clicked on the smartview for Monday, and all the tracks I use for that class shows up, and I don't have to search for anything...

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Make sure to notice this warning: "Update file tag(s) if supported by the tagging format".
For example, "director" and "producer" are not written to MP3 files.
Also, review the option to write ratings to files: Preferences > Media Library > Options tab > Advanced Library Preferences

Your example implies that you are using a different tag field for each day of the week.
Better to pick one tag field (eg "publisher") and then write the appropriate "day of the week" to that same field for each file.
Use the Smartviews to sort (eg. Publisher Equals Tuesday).

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 15:28   #5
armymedicmom

The reason I can't use just one field is because some tracks are used for multiple classes. So in smart views I actually have 4 different classes, and some songs are needed for 2 classes. Therefore I have made Publisher = Thursday; Composer = Monday, etc. Then for the tags I have listed both Thursday and Monday on the same track. That's the only way I could come up with so that song will show up under each class schedule. It's really working for me and doesn't take much time if done as each song is added and not let it build up.

I also hold monthly dances where all the classes show up together. Therefore, I'm using "year" and putting in "25" for their favorite songs and making a smartview for "dance party" and making year = 25. I'm not a big fan of playlists because I don't want the entire playlist showing up in the editor window. I want to pick and choose as requests come in.

It's a strange system, and I don't know if anyone else has tried it, but it works for me. The problem happens when I need to change computers. It will be hours of work if I have to start over again. I used to use MusicMatch, and it was easier making separate class folders. It took me forever to figure out how to make it work in winamp.

Again, thanks for your help!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support