Old 19th March 2017, 01:09   #1
WhiskeysRum

Can listen Locally but not over internet

I set up an older version of SAM Broadcaster (4.2) with the latest SHOUTcast DNAS. I have SAM connecting to the encoder, via localhost, port 8000. My station appears in the SHOUTcast Directory when searched, but it fails to play.

I can listen locally by means of 127.0.0.1:8000, but even with my No-IP DNS set up, I can't listen to the stream from a remote computer, nor the hosting computer.

I think I need a little more clarification of what goes where when you set up?
I did this once a long time ago back in 2008 successfully, which is where I found my old archives and my old SAM Broadcaster Unfortunately I didn't leave detailed instructions on how to do it again LOL!

So here is a list of what I have so far....:
I have MSSQL installed with the basic default install, required for SAM Broadcaster 4.
I have SAM Broadcaster 4 installed.
I have the latest SHOUTcast DNAS installed.
SAM successfully connects the Encoder to the DNAS.
My Router\Modem is a ZyxEl Centurylink and I have the computer running SAM in the DMZ setting, with port forwarding of 8000 to 8100 for it.

Have I missed a step somewhere?

If there is any additional information needed, just let me know and I will hunt it down.
WhiskeysRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 04:58   #2
shadowyrealms

Send a message via AIM to shadowyrealms
Same here

New install on new server. Got some fresh authhash codes, too.

I can hear the stream from other computers on my network on the local IP address of the server, but I can't hit the server from outside the network using the external IP (with my phone, for instance).

It's worth noting that I did the appropriate port forwarding in the router's firewall. Alternately, I tried NAT and PnP. (I got desperate after several hours of hair-pulling.)

SHOUTcast Server v2.4.2.167, plugin v2.3.1 build 182. In my case, I'm using Winamp as the player.

Shadowy Realms --
Tales of Suspense, Mystery and the Macabre
shadowyrealms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 13:21   #3
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

first make sure that you're not getting "cannot see your station..." messages in the dnas log - if so, your port forwarding needs to be revisited.

next, make sure that you are using the correct public ip -- several ways to get this, if your station is listed in the directory, the pls or m3u provided will contain the public ip .. or from the same computer as the dnas, visit a site like whatsmyip to get the public address, or go to your router - its wan ip is the public ip.

with the public ip, be aware that some routers will not allow you to access the wan ip from the lan (a security feature) -- also cellphone data providers may limit or prohibit streaming over their network.

Last edited by djSpinnerCee; 19th March 2017 at 13:55. Reason: whatsmyip url correction
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 15:10   #4
WhiskeysRum

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSpinnerCee View Post
first make sure that you're not getting "cannot see your station..." messages in the dnas log - if so, your port forwarding needs to be revisited.

next, make sure that you are using the correct public ip -- several ways to get this, if your station is listed in the directory, the pls or m3u provided will contain the public ip .. or from the same computer as the dnas, visit a site like whatsmyip to get the public address, or go to your router - its wan ip is the public ip.

with the public ip, be aware that some routers will not allow you to access the wan ip from the lan (a security feature) -- also cellphone data providers may limit or prohibit streaming over their network.

ok, Shoutcast DNAS doesn't say anything about it not being able to see anything in its console.

Let me show ya what i have set in SAM 4 for the encoder.

For my Router\Modem (ZyXEL w/ CenturyLink), i have port forwarding set for the server ports 800 thru 810 as well as the modems internal firewall for IPV4, set as TCP and UDP.

I have No-Ip and its running on my machine, radio.rumsarcade.com

I can listen from my other computer via internal IP, 192.168.0.9:800, but attempting to reach it from the radio.rumsarcade.com:800 or even the external ip listed from WhatsMyIp doesn't work.

I've also tried the PLS and M3U from Shoutcast Directory, doesn't work.
Old 19th March 2017, 19:39   #5
WhiskeysRum

it can't be this gd difficult to stream out to the internet................................
Old 19th March 2017, 20:05   #6
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

radio.rumsarcade.com:800/index.html -- i get your public dnas status page - that means a lot of good stuff -- your port forwarding, your no-ip duc, and your dnas are all set up and working.

if the above does not get you the status page, your router is preventing only the machines on your lan -- to the public, all is fine.
Old 19th March 2017, 20:32   #7
WhiskeysRum

WOW!!!!!

Ok... So I am listening in on my mobile phone using the Cellular Data. Its playing just fine....
So what setting in my router would be stopping me from accessing the same stream from my own internet?

WOW this is baffling
Old 19th March 2017, 21:13   #8
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

every router has a different setting, some routers just can't do it. if you don't find the setting you need, just know that on your lan you must use the dnas lan address.

linksys calls it internet wan redirection.

wifi affinity is another term that prevents lan clients (on ethernet and wifi) from communicating with each other, your router is one such (albeit special) lan client.

you'll have to find what works, and under which circumstances - the days are gone where there's one way to do anything.
Old 19th March 2017, 21:25   #9
WhiskeysRum

Thank you SO much Cee!!!!!!
holy crap this has been driving me nuts for soooo long.... 14 hours so far!!!!

I'll try to figure this out, but as long as I know it works out in the public, I am good!
Old 4th December 2020, 01:34   #10
Boo Levard

'the days are gone where there's one way to do anything.' Brilliant! Gonna steal that & quote you...
Boo Levard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support