Old 6th May 2004, 01:10   #1
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Auto - Update Filepath

Perhaps this is another one for Dr0 (who's babies I still want to have ) but I would like it if winamp automatically updated the filepath to my songs. Consider the following:

My media library currently auto scans every two hours the folder c:\music and all of it's subfolders.

Lets say I have song A in c:\music\downloaded and it is in my playlist. I decide to spend an hour organizing my music.

I create a new folder (c:\music\songaartist\songaalbum) and move song A into it. Because it is in the c:\music folder, on the next media library scan it will be scanned and put into the media library.

What I want is for winamp to, on the scheduled scan, realize that c:\music\downloaded\songa.mp3 is gone, and there is a song c:\music\songaartist\songaalbum\songa.mp3 which has an identical filename, and identical size (and possible id3 info) and fix the song in the playlist so that I don't have to rem>>mis>>all dead files, then add all the songs that were on there that I moved.

Any takers?
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2004, 01:20   #2
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
im not a taker but do have suggestions...

maybe have winamp add something to the id3, like in comments that is traceable.

OR

when winamp doesnt find a file, uno how it just skips it, instead, have the option of a dialog box popping up saying it cant find so-and-so, would u like to browse? Windows does this, like if a shortcut on ur desktop is broken
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2004, 02:10   #3
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by billyvnilly
option of a dialog box popping up saying it cant find so-and-so, would u like to browse? [/B]
That would be awsome, and if a similar song is in the library why not make winamp directly suggest this file, to replace the 'dead' one?

Finding same or similar files can't be so hard to do, i saw it in some plugins already, with options for 'exact' same, almost same, +/- same and so on, i think in 5 different levels, checking length, name, bitrate...

I think this is something for a plugin job.
If one can do it, it's got to be Dro
jojo 544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2004, 03:08   #4
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
when winamp doesnt find a file, uno how it just skips it, instead, have the option of a dialog box popping up saying it cant find so-and-so, would u like to browse? Windows does this, like if a shortcut on ur desktop is broken
but when I organize, I sort out about 5-10 albums at a time. thats about 50-100 songs I really don't want to individually browse for. It'd be easier to do it the old way of adding them all and remove the missing.
Old 6th May 2004, 03:28   #5
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

@dlink but wouldnt u agree it would be a good option.

it could be an option that could be turned off by default.
Old 6th May 2004, 17:27   #6
jojo 544
Major Dude

OK, some more possible options:

1) Show similar or same files, and select one of your choise to replace the broken link.

2) Auto replace when a exact same file is found

3) Browse to look for file manualy

4) do nothing

Now that would really rock

*sigh (still) under construction*
Old 6th May 2004, 18:36   #7
moymike

Send a message via Yahoo to moymike
How about this idea....

From ML, have a right click choice to RENAME FILE based on tag.

Within the ML options, you store a rename pattern. Your example would be: <artist>\<album>\<song>.

Then all you would have to do is clean up your tags, then you could rename groups of songs directly from ML.

Oh, and since tags don't have to be unique, follow the Windows convension on the renames, that duplicates would have a "(2)", "(3)", ... after them.
moymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2004, 19:05   #8
electricmime
Major Dude

why not just scan the folder where you moved the file(or the top folder... you dont have to do the sub directories) (if you have like a dl folder an a archive folder)

and then click remove missing files...

it seems alot easier than winamp auto searching your computer for files with the same id3 tags, auto replacing it, and then looking for similar ones and giving you going through the similar ones and picking out which one you like

though i would really like the feature when you play something it pops up "file not found" and then you find it (or at least an option when you right click on a song)

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2004, 19:37   #9
moymike

Being able to rename from within ML removes all those problems...

It also would allow ML to keep all your data on the song, including the rating info.

Also, when renaming within ML, ML could fix playlists at the same time the rename takes place.

If you rename outside of ML, well.. your bad.

Wouldn't this feature rock?
Old 6th May 2004, 19:58   #10
electricmime
Major Dude

no... he doesnt want to rename the files, he wants to move them, and then the ml automatically detect that they have been moved and then automatically find them. so i dont see how renaming through the ml would fix anything..

Old 6th May 2004, 20:00   #11
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
but when I organize, I sort out about 5-10 albums at a time. thats about 50-100 songs I really don't want to individually browse for. It'd be easier to do it the old way of adding them all and remove the missing.
Here is a solution as of now. close winamp. open all the playlists up with EditPad, and use find and replace to change all of the paths. read it in one of djegg's posts.

although this may still take awhile if u have as many songs as u say.
Old 6th May 2004, 23:40   #12
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by electricmime
no... he doesnt want to rename the files, he wants to move them, and then the ml automatically detect that they have been moved and then automatically find them. so i dont see how renaming through the ml would fix anything..
I'ts not rename but it's neither rescanning the lib. that is the problem. As i understood well the issue is to fix broken links in PLAYLISTS.
Some plugin for playlisteditor should be able to do this, using the (updated and rescanned) library to find the new location of the missing links.

Playlists can indeed be fixed with wordpad or some editor with find & replace function. I already did it myself, and for big groups of files it's very usefull, but for many small groups of files in different folders a kind of 'fix playlist' plugin would realy be welcome.
Old 6th May 2004, 23:45   #13
moymike

Quote:
I take it you have not looked at some of the nicer renamer; tag->filename programs.

They allow you to rename files to normal standards:
<artist> - <album> - <title>

And they also allow you to rename with path changes using the tag information:
<artist>\<album>\<artist> - <title>

Using this, you start at the root directory of your music, and with a simple rename, a file can change from:

Romeo Void - Benefactor - Never Say Never
to
\Romeo Void\Benefactor\Romeo Void - Never Say Never

This becomes a rename + move all at once, based on how you setup your rename.

The only requirements are...
- You need to have a root directory for you music.
- You have to have tag information to base the filenames on.

ML uses a root directory, which I would expect most of us probably have somewhere under the standard Windows My Music directory.

If this rename method where available within Winamp, then the original poster could use it to MOVE + RENAME + ORGANIZE his collection. Since the rename is being done within ML, Winamp could scan and fix playlists as the renames occur.

This beats the heck out of trying to scan and find files that where moved or renamed outside of Winamp. Now you see how?
Old 6th May 2004, 23:55   #14
jojo 544
Major Dude

Still missing the point :/
playlist entries are not fixed this way

*sigh (still) under construction*
Old 7th May 2004, 00:04   #15
electricmime
Major Dude

just rightclick on the file in the playlist and click 'playlist entry'

or type ctrl e

thats what i want available in the ml, right now you have to do it in the playlist then right click-send to-add to library... but i still dont think the ml renamer would help anything...

Old 7th May 2004, 00:32   #16
moymike

Quote:
Originally posted by jojo 544
Still missing the point :/
playlist entries are not fixed this way
The simple part would be the rename and change of the ML data. The tougher part would be that ML would have to scan for the filename inside of your playlists and fix them.

The advantage here would be that the path\filename would be known before and after the rename. Trying to rematch the moved file or renamed file could be messy and lead to mismatches or missed files.

So yes, I agree, renaming files within ML could allow for path changes and keeping ML links straight with files, but would not necessarily fix playlists. The upside is that the information would be available to fix the playlist accurately as the renames are being done if it was coded to work that way. (provided ML knows about your playlists)
Old 7th May 2004, 16:03   #17
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
just rightclick on the file in the playlist and click 'playlist entry'

That works fine if you have only a few files to correct, we are looking for a plugin to do this (as discribed above)

BTW. dont forget to re-save the playlist after fixing the broken entries
Old 22nd May 2004, 04:30   #18
chadfool

I'm just joining in. Yes Please create this plug in. I have put hundreds of hours into creating meticulous playlists that no longer work since I had to move all my audio files to a new drive. all the path assotiations are off now. The plugin should be able to search the music directory for possible files that are identical in size. my fingers are crossed

ChadFool
chadfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 09:14   #19
andrewmab

Or at least generate a text file of brocken links when reading extended info.Included in the text should be things like "file name,previous location and IDE tag info"
andrewmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 10:50   #20
Ikarus7

i already suggested exactly this here, sad that they didnt answer ME.
great idea, i support it ! .. (of course ... )
Ikarus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2004, 18:58   #21
enewett

desired specifications

i think the following plugin/feature would appeal to everyone on the matter of updating broken playlists due to file location/name changes:

in the playlist, add an option such as 'misc>repair broken links' which would:
1) scan the playlist for broken links
2) when a broken link is found, attempt to find the file based on the ML. this assumes that the ML has since been updated and would contain the proper link to the file.
2a) criteria for a match could include the filesize and an attribute of the ID3 tag (like artist or something likely to not be changed).. and could be user configurable.
3) when multiple matches occur, the user should be prompted to select which of the matches is correct.
4) additionally a change in playlist font for an entry could symbolize broken links for which no matches were found.

i have a very large catalog and would like this feature added before i begin generating a lot of playlists as i'm constantly reorganizing my files.
enewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2004, 01:33   #22
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

#4 won't work becuase it would mose likely break all the classic skins, but I like 1-2a
Old 28th June 2004, 03:05   #23
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

can broken links just be highlighted instead of deleted? then i can just use CTRL+E to fix it.
Old 3rd July 2004, 18:12   #24
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
can broken links just be highlighted instead of deleted? then i can just use CTRL+E to fix it.
I use winamp3 to find broken links in my playlists, maybe it might also work to send the playlist to a library playlist (the files with broken links will fail to display playtime).

Today i found a hint from dj egg in some post (dont know where anymore) about a plugin called WANQer, i tried it, but it doesn't do what is wanted as described above.
I still keep my fingers crossed to find such a plugin someday, and i think i'm not alone, so showes this forum.
Old 4th July 2004, 13:08   #25
xxajxx

I agree with dlink's idea..
I moved all my files once to a different folder and screwed up my whole library because it reset all the playcounts, etc...
xxajxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2004, 00:40   #26
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Quote:
I use winamp3 to find broken links in my playlists, maybe it might also work to send the playlist to a library playlist (the files with broken links will fail to display playtime).

Today i found a hint from dj egg in some post (dont know where anymore) about a plugin called WANQer, i tried it, but it doesn't do what is wanted as described above.
I still keep my fingers crossed to find such a plugin someday, and i think i'm not alone, so showes this forum.
those are both very good ideas, i never noticed that the library would do that, thx. and the winamp3 idea is great as well. Dj egg responded to one of my earlier posts with Wanqer, so i already know about it but yeah, it doesnt do exaclty what i want. Thanks again.
Old 5th July 2004, 03:26   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

So... is that wanqer plugin a p.o.s. then?
Never tried it myself.

Quote:
"WANQer can watch any folder(s) or drive(s) on your system and will automatically keep your playlist updated as files are added, removed, or renamed."

It should work, according to the description...
ie. you load the ml playlist into the playlist window,
wanqer auto fixes the dead links etc.
Then you go to:
ml > playlists > (playlist)
rem > remove all items
manage playlist > import active playlist.

Or does that sound like too much work for some people,
and you want it all to be automated?
(like good old database driven wasabi.player)

@xxajxx
Are we talking about stored playlists or media library views?
ml views should be automatically updated when you rescan,
but yeah, you'll lose playcounts/ratings in the process.

Always pays to store/name your files accordingly BEFORE you import them.

bleh..
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2004, 04:20   #28
electricmime
Major Dude

well.. i believe what they want is something that sees a missing file on their playlist, and then searches their hd, and finds the correct file and then updates it automatically..

firstly: the wanqer thing looks like it works only on the playlist.. and it looks like you have to have the entire folder queued for it to work.. i am too lazy to try it out mainly because thats not really the feature i want, and i think what i believe they are asking for seems a little picky. i would rather just make the change playlist entry thing easier(like browse for the file) and have an option for the 'browse for file' auotmatically show up when it tries to play the missing file..and have the ability to change the file entry or whatever available in the media library.. yeah i know i could just change it in the playlist and then go to send->add to ml and then auto delete missing files in the ml, but that would lose all the stats for that song..)

Old 5th July 2004, 13:55   #29
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
well.. i believe what they want is something that sees a missing file on their playlist, and then searches their hd, and finds the correct file and then updates it automatically..

firstly: the wanqer thing looks like it works only on the playlist.. and it looks like you have to have the entire folder queued for it to work..
Right ! i have about 500 stored playlists, but i'm continiously updating my collection, means that many times files are moved, or renamed (minor changes in tittle).
Updating the lib is no problem couse it rescans all my musicfolders, and removes the dead links, but my stored playlists are messed.
What i 'm looking for is a plugin that can load a playlist (m3u or pls), highlight or show somehow broken links, and then give the options like:

Quote:
OK, some more possible options:

1) Show similar or same files, and select one of your choise to replace the broken link.

2) Auto replace when a exact same file is found

3) Browse to look for file manualy

4) do nothing

(using the updated ml data)
or:

Quote:
Originally posted by enewett
i think the following plugin/feature would appeal to everyone on the matter of updating broken playlists due to file location/name changes:

in the playlist, add an option such as 'misc>repair broken links' which would:
1) scan the playlist for broken links
2) when a broken link is found, attempt to find the file based on the ML. this assumes that the ML has since been updated and would contain the proper link to the file.
2a) criteria for a match could include the filesize and an attribute of the ID3 tag (like artist or something likely to not be changed).. and could be user configurable.
3) when multiple matches occur, the user should be prompted to select which of the matches is correct.
4) additionally a change in playlist font for an entry could symbolize broken links for which no matches were found.
but

Quote:

just make the change playlist entry thing easier(like browse for the file) and have an option for the 'browse for file' auotmatically show up when it tries to play the missing file...
Would be a good step in the right direction.

I hope this one clears out some misunderstandings
Jesus, i’m desperately wanting to learn to code now so i could write this plugin myself.
Who’s willing to teach me
Old 5th July 2004, 19:08   #30
DrO

highlighting an invalid entry isn't that difficult to do (the code in jtfe is just about there to do just a different highlight of playlist items.... /me considers adapting the code to do this)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2004, 18:52   #31
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
highlighting an invalid entry isn't that difficult to do (the code in jtfe is just about there to do just a different highlight of playlist items.... /me considers adapting the code to do this)

-daz
YAY
Old 6th July 2004, 21:45   #32
Genma

This would be a great plugin/patch to have for anyone who has a large collection which changes when organizing. I myself just finished ripping every cd I own, adding them to my collection and completely organizing the whole lot. I now have over 19GB of sorted mp3s on my hard drive and my brother's 150+ playlist is now mostly useless. Even though its not a missive list compared to the potential, it would still be a tedious job to either manually edit the m3u or replace the defunct playlist entries. I have very little skill when it comes to programming so if there is an app/plugin out there that could updates lists I would love to know about it. As it is I've been hoping for/expecting this feature in winamp since v3.
I hope a solution is found soon as people's collections are only growing!
Genma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2004, 20:46   #33
FLeX0r

hmm... u guys could open the m3u file, download a mass replacive programm or use word and just replace the pathsequences... ?!
word has a replace funktion, and ist moderate fast cause u just have to paste and copy the text over in de notepad eitor uve used to open the m3u file...
FLeX0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2004, 21:02   #34
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by FLeX0r
hmm... u guys could open the m3u file, download a mass replacive programm or use word and just replace the pathsequences... ?!
word has a replace funktion, and ist moderate fast cause u just have to paste and copy the text over in de notepad eitor uve used to open the m3u file...
That won't do, i'ts sugested before (see above).

Quote:
Originally posted by Jojo544
Playlists can indeed be fixed with wordpad or some editor with find & replace function. I already did it myself, and for big groups of files it's very usefull, but for many small groups of files in different folders a kind of 'fix playlist' plugin would realy be welcome.[/B]
Old 14th July 2004, 03:14   #35
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

did this one slip through the cracks or does it really not work that well....im trying it right now

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=100248

[edit]dang!!! so it didnt slip through the cracks, its doesnt do anything! and i had such high hopes[/edit]

Last edited by billyvnilly; 14th July 2004 at 03:40.
Old 15th July 2004, 23:18   #36
jojo 544
Major Dude

Hey, i didn’t know about this one either.
I guess i didn’t search well enough, i did my search all over again, but now i think there really aren’t any of this ‘playlist fix’ plugins left to be discovered, but please correct me if i’m wrong.
And this one, well i like the idea, the concept is good but i don’t like the way it works:

1) It scans your computer for mp3’s. The folders / drives to be scanned are not customable.
2) The scanning starts each time winamp is opened, so that is also not user defined.
3) Dead links can only be replaced when a replacing file is found with the exact same tittle.
4) When no replacing file is found there is no posibility to manualy browse to look for it.
5) The plugin is only accesable through: preferences/plugins/general purpose/m3u playlist checker/configure plugin. Thats a long way to go, i’d like it to work in 1 or 2 clicks max.

But i also have to say that this plugin is as close as it gets to the idea of broken playlist enties fixing. Hopefully there will be an update or yet another plugin that has the full works.
My fingers are still crossed.

I also searched the forums for relating threads, and came up with this results:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=179079 (this one)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=185060
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=183199
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=182553
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=167852
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=186481
Old 16th July 2004, 10:01   #37
ttimbul

You guys are all confusing the main point I think. The idea is to have the media library recognise that a file represents the same song after it has been moved on the file system.
If you use filehashes (like most p2p applications do) then u can detect arbitrary renames, moves, ... What u cannot detect is if the ID3 tag has changed because it would alter the file hash, but assuming you use winamp to manage ID3 there would be absolutely no problem as winamp could simply rehash on the spot. What I dont understand is why Winamp uses the outdated method of addressing files by path, rather than addressing hashes and keeping a map of these hashes to the corresponding file on disk!
A rescan would update this map. Of course a rescan would be more costly because of the hashing overhead, but then why not also store the last modified date of the file. If the file has been modified (including deleted) since last time the hash was taken, then just remove the path association from the hash, but NOT the actual file record (with ratings etc).
To avoid having zombie entries there would ideally be a button where you click to remove zombie entries from the library...

Whats the issue? It just requires some effort and reorganisation... In this respect I think winamp is totally behind other software!
ttimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 12:01   #38
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by ttimbul
You guys are all confusing the main point I think. The idea is to have the media library recognise that a file represents the same song after it has been moved on the file system.
No, wrong thinking! it's about PLAYLIST entries, m3u or pls.
I suggest you read the whole topic before you post, all in here
Old 16th July 2004, 13:33   #39
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

All i want is for when I move or re-name a song, winamp automatically knows which song it was, and updates the entry both in the media library, and if it in the playlist, the entry in the playlist so that the song will play without having to be added again.
Old 16th July 2004, 16:23   #40
james
Forum PFY
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by ttimbul
In this respect I think winamp is totally behind other software!
In that case you better download something bloated and expensive.

[edit] pasto [/edit]

He uses statistics like a drunk uses lamp-posts: for support, not illumination.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist