Old 26th August 2004, 08:42   #81
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
All i want is for when I move or re-name a song, winamp automatically knows which song it was, and updates the entry both in the media library, and if it in the playlist, the entry in the playlist so that the song will play without having to be added again.
I would love this as well.
D&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2004, 23:37   #82
jojo 544
Major Dude

added 1:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread...threadid=189488

added 2:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=192306
jojo 544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 00:38   #83
D&B
Banned

Did this just die? Anything gonna come of this? Any solution would probably have to be from our resident coding gods, because winamp is basically not under development at this point in time.

I myself am for a hashing solution. It would just run the first time you added media to the ML (and any manual/scanned rescans). Any time I know I just moved a bunch of shit around on my drive, I hit rescan, and none of my playlists break and I dont lose any of my meta data (ratings, playcounts). The hash would be stored in the library itself NOT the file.
Old 22nd September 2004, 02:07   #84
jojo 544
Major Dude

sorry for quoting myself again, but now i hope the links will work again

Badrad: i'm sure this is not dead, just on hold...
The amount of posts linked here shows the importance of his issue.

As for the hashing thing, i'ts been discussed here before.

My hopes are with Joonas, the author of the dynamic library plugin.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=179932 (i'm sure you know but i post the link for others who might read this)
He seemed to be intressed to work on this one after DL has finished, but for now i think he's too buzy with school to even finish DL. I'll be patiently waiting

Also i remember DrO said something about adding a browse option in the 'edit playlist entry' window, and somehow highlight invalid entries.

Eventualy someone will make something cool i think
Old 22nd September 2004, 09:40   #85
TCPost

I wrote to Joonas to see if I could help him add a 'locate broken links' menu item to the playlist window. I don't want to start from the beginning so would rather add the feature to the framework of someone else's useful plug; and Dynamic Library seems like a very good choice to me.

The MFC library has a function (CFileFind) expressly for this task so implementing the feature would not be difficult. I have written an algorithm for it and it is onle 200 lines of code or so. You just let the user pre-specify a list of drive roots and then have the function recurse all the subfolders of those drives looking for matching filenames. On finding a match it adds the filepath to a linked list and then carries on. When it reaches the end of the scan it should present the user with a list of hits from which to select, if there is more than one.

Hashing would be even nicer but would require a laborious (run overnight) table building exercise. It would be even better still if it read the MP3 header and only did the hash on a selection of the audio frames so even if the user had changed the filename and/or ID tags the search would still work.
TCPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 10:20   #86
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by jojo 544
Also i remember DrO said something about adding a browse option in the 'edit playlist entry' window, and somehow highlight invalid entries.
time has been a bit tight lately so i've not got the jtfe api implemented yet to do this but... i'm planning on this weekend to at least get the jtfe plugins available for this usage (since i need to update the colour highlighting code as well )

Just seen TCPost's post (been trying to type this at work for over an hour between things) and i was thinking before i went to post that some sort of autosearch option (since i've already code from an old project to do that quickly ) could be implemented easily with the browse option

so it's not forgotten, just time deprived

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 11:42   #87
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by TCPost
even if the user had changed the filename and/or ID tags the search would still work.
That's the whole idee
Those changes in tittle are mostly minor , just a few characters, but it happens to me often.

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
some sort of autosearch option (since i've already code from an old project to do that quickly ) could be implemented easily with the browse option
I love the idee, and if a auto search don't find a match we can still browse
I know your a buzy man DrO, but i have faith it will get all in there when the time is right
Old 22nd September 2004, 18:56   #88
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TCPost
Hashing would be even nicer but would require a laborious (run overnight) table building exercise.
I still think hashing would be the best - the only complaint people can come up with is that it would take longer. But you would only run it when you knew it was needed. Anyway I'm used to ML operations taking forever, I have over 120,000 files in my ML.

The only hard part I can think of is that the PL points to file paths, where all this hashing/tracking we are talking about would probably be done by the ML.
Old 8th January 2005, 20:40   #89
jojo 544
Major Dude

After a looooooong looooooong period of silence,
Good news is on the way...

1) On another topic someone informed us about this:
http://micro-source.ch/wwwerner/playlistrevisor.html
It works only for mp3's tho

2) I contacted the author of M3u playlisst checker (Howard Harvey) and he's working on an update or a re-writing of his plugin. As it looks now it might be there end of Januari. I will post a web address with a forum for feedback when i get it myself.
Old 9th January 2005, 12:32   #90
Howy_d

M3U Playlist Checker

Hey everyone its me howard harvey been working on an updated version of the m3u playlist checker that I wrote a fair old while ago. It will be a stand alone program because I dont really support winamp anymore what with them being bought out by aol plus you having to pay to use all of the features. I dont mind writing a program to solve people problems though.

The new version has these benifits:
- Will match files by similar names, so if you rename a file to something similar it will give you this as a possibility.
- Only rebuilds the database when you ask it to not everytime the program is run.
- No longer scans removable media (Floppy drives)
- Give you the option to manually patch files, this means locating a new entry yourself.
- Speed increases on checking + search routines.
- Option to save the list as a seperate file or overwrite the openned plist.

Should be a alpha release released before the end of the month. Will post a link when it is ready.
Howy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2005, 12:54   #91
DrO

Re: M3U Playlist Checker

Quote:
Originally posted by Howy_d
It will be a stand alone program because I dont really support winamp anymore what with them being bought out by aol plus you having to pay to use all of the features.
just a bit of misinformation going on there, Winamp/Nullsoft has been owned by aol since 1999 and paying to use all of the features isn't true, you're only paying if you buy Winamp Pro to cover licensing costs so you can rip/burn at full speed.

and on other things, good luck with the dev on this

-daz
Old 23rd January 2005, 01:43   #92
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

While we're waiting for Howy_d's app/plugin, maybe some of you who've posted here might find this new plugin useful?

ml_plfix (a plugin to let you move files, yet preserve playlists)

QUOTE:
"This plugin will “fix” your playlists after you move files or rename files. It will also find (and optionally delete) identical files".

In it's current state, it's designed to only work with playlists stored in the Media Library (ie. the "winamp\plugins\ml\*.m3u" files).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2005, 02:09   #93
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
cool. thanks for the update
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2005, 23:35   #94
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, I guess that no-one else is interested then?

I was rather hoping that more people would respond in the ml_plfix thread :/
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 00:59   #95
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
if he could get it to update ml data w/o losing data, that would be superb too bad.

ive tested, and it does seem to work. the initial scan is very, very slow indeed as he implies.
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 08:36   #96
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
I was rather hoping that more people would respond in the ml_plfix thread :/
I will, later
Old 27th January 2005, 02:15   #97
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
I added my experience. I've just been busy.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 18:08   #98
chadfool

any developments here???

just hoping

fingers crossed

-chadfool

thanks all you code warriors and saints

peace
chadfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 18:20   #99
DrO

chadfool: the ml_plfix got a good response (if that's applicable to you) otherwise there are work arounds with the Dynamic Library plugin..

Quote:
Originally posted by jojo 544
DJ Egg has been running an early test version of this with the api i've finally imlpemented into jtfe for control over the colouring in the playlist (so all invalid entries can now effectively be seen at last though i need to give it some more speed love)

-daz
Old 29th May 2005, 21:18   #100
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
DJ Egg has been running an early test version of this with the api i've finally imlpemented into jtfe for control over the colouring in the playlist (so all invalid entries can now effectively be seen at last though i need to give it some more speed love)
-daz
Happy to hear that ,

also happy to see some people still reading this (old) threat.
Meanwhile i found some workarounds / plugins / stand alone proggy's to fix playlist, but for now the Dynamic Library plugin (tho it's not realy build for that) fits my needs the best.
Cheers to Joonas, (aplause)
Old 8th June 2005, 20:50   #101
CPingN

Well, this appears to be a decent solution: http://micro-source.ch/wwwerner/playlistrevisor.html but I can't get it to actually write back a valid playlist. I set up the search folders, loaded winamp.m3u, it found the entries with missing files, searched and found good alternatives (same files, different folders now), right clicked and said Pick First Alternative found, hit Fix, and save as.. and...... nothing. When I reload it, it's the same file.

If that last part worked, this would be a decent solution. With a little cleaning up and possibly turned into a plugin, it would be perfect.

Anyone have any better luck?
CPingN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 21:27   #102
jojo 544
Major Dude

I tried that one also, couldn't get it to work propperly eather, and it doesn't work for .ogg , wma, flac, etc...

*sigh (still) under construction*
Old 8th December 2005, 21:35   #103
moosbrugger

and the best solution is?

Ok.
What is the best solution to this main problem?
There are some... and the best is???
moosbrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 21:40   #104
CPingN

Actually I have been using that. I only have mp3s though..
and
it's VERY touchy. The way I have it set up, after I "select first match for missing files" or whatever it says, I hit FIX playlist... but then do NOT hit save. If I hit save, it seems to write the orignal back!
CPingN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 21:47   #105
TCPost

Joonas's Dynamic Library WinAmp plugin will now fix playlists.
TCPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist