Old 6th December 2000, 17:06   #1
Bazza_B

Hi! Are you ppl ever going to do a Linux port?? Specially for Linamp 3.0?

The Linux community needs a radilcally skinable player!(I have the kjofol skin plugin for XXMS but hey it's a pain to setup (and i'm lazy) )

So please do the right thing:
Port WinAmp 3.0 to Linux
You know it makes sense

P.S. If anyway does know of a totally skinable player let me know!
Old 7th December 2000, 00:11   #2
floydwaferfield

Send a message via ICQ to floydwaferfield Send a message via AIM to floydwaferfield
no
linux sux
get a life
the end

------------------
What can I say?
I'm "THE MAN!"
floydwaferfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2000, 01:04   #3
Bazza_B

<sigh> why do I have to get a single reply from someone who deems ignorance to be a sense of humour?

Ah well the net is for everyone I guess
Old 7th December 2000, 20:26   #4
puzzled

Mr. Floid:

Have you ever even ran linux on your box? I have yet to find someone who uses their computer who tried linux and didn't like it. I don't believe i ever will either.

But yes, a linux port of winamp would be 'pimp'.

-puzzled.
Old 8th December 2000, 00:00   #5
NeverBeTheSameAgain

LINUX FOR EVER
NeverBeTheSameAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2000, 00:21   #6
floydwaferfield

Send a message via ICQ to floydwaferfield Send a message via AIM to floydwaferfield
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by puzzled:
Mr. Floid:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny, I didn't know floyd was so hard to spell.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bazza_B:
why do I have to get a single reply from someone who deems ignorance to be a sense of humour?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Calling me ignorant only reflects on your puny brain and lack of friends.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by puzzled:
Have you ever even ran linux on your box? I have yet to find someone who uses their computer who tried linux and didn't like it. I don't believe i ever will either.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I haven't EVER ran linux on my "box".
I feel that I don't need to, for these reasons:
1. Pretty much every program on earth is in Windows format. Linux on the other hand . . .
2. I've gone to websites that have put Windows up against Linux. Amazingly enough, Windows came out on top.

So, I feel that I don't even have to bother with poor little LinSUX.

But yes, a linux port of winamp would be 'pimp'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A linux port of WinAmp is as "pimp" as Bob Dole.

------------------
What can I say?
I'm "THE MAN!"
floydwaferfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2000, 03:10   #7
BazzaB

Quote: from floyd on food
Calling me ignorant only reflects on your puny brain and lack of friends.

LOL have you nothing better to do than flame peoples posts?

You tell ppl to get a life and expect no retort? Your parents should really install Net-Nanny on their PC :P
Old 8th December 2000, 05:06   #8
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

gone to websites that say linux is on top? i really wouldn't consider microsofts webpage a source for information like that.

really, its a matter of preference. but, for your information bazza, winamp 3.0 is being ported to *nix and mac os x (or so i hear about os x, i dont know how much of that is truthfull).

and floyd, plese shut up.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2000, 03:06   #9
DMoney

Send a message via AIM to DMoney Send a message via Yahoo to DMoney
Heh...I'm not even gonna bother replying to the "LinSUX" comment. Let the poor man suffer in Windows if he wishes. Anyhoo, Mac OS X is based on UNIX. The majority, if not all, UNIX/Linux based programs should work fine on it, so the Linux port of 3.0 should work...might take a little work to get it up and running on OS X, but it should work.

And dear Floyd, beware the penguins, my friends, beware the penguins.

------------------
Booyah!
DMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2000, 08:11   #10
Kevin
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
"Linux is just like it's mascot, the penguin--it'll never fly."

Ahem.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2000, 01:59   #11
DMoney

I'm also quite sure most of the websites you've visited that put Windows above Linux are hosted by servers running Apache...a Linux/UNIX webserver...and, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe that's the most widely used web server program...
And personally, only a fool would pay $200+ for an unstable operating system, when the most stable and feature-rich OS in existence is absolutely free...well $25 if you want the full retail version. Get a clue...Bill Gates is shakin in his boots with the popularity of Linux and the BSD's popularity.
But I'm used to bandwagoner's by now... see you and your Linux box in a year or so, friends...
Old 14th December 2000, 10:09   #12
Sivar

Yes, Linux is so pathetic that IBM, the worlds largest hardware company and maker of most of the worlds' fastest computers, is spending one BILLION (thats a thousand million) dollars on Linux development.
http://techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20001212S0005

Opinions based on ignorance (Linux sucks--even though I have never used it--but some websites say Windows is better!!!) are unworthy of consideration. I can point you to many sites that prove the opposite.

The truth is that both OSs have their advantages and disadvantages.

+Windows is the easiest to use, so people who know little about computers (I have one person in mind) feel more comfortable with it.
+Windows has better commercial software support. Some people don't consider this an advantage as free source software is usually higher quality (though it is also often harder ot use and install)
+Windows puts all that high-end hardware to good use, because its many (many, many) design flaws require long, system intensive work-arounds for many of the things that it does.

Linux:
+Is faster overall, though there are some GUI enhancers that are actually slower than Windows 95 (though you can get shells that slow down Windows as well)
+Is much more stable. I dare you to get your Windows 9x machine to run over 200 processes and not crash or glitch out for several YEARS (which I have done with Linux)
+Is much more configurable. The problem is figuring out how to configure it, whereas in Windows it is much easier.
+Is free, and so are most of the applications for it. In fact, you can get the source code for most of the applications so you can modify it if you don't like something about the application.
--Of course, something tells me that this fact wouldn't matter to floydwaferfield who I SERIOUSLY doubt knows how to program in any real language like C (or even any fake language). I could be wrong, though.
+Bugs found in Linux are fixed within a matter of hours, whereas bugs found in Windows are often not fixed for several months.
+Finally, Linux is far, far more secure than Windows. Windows is designed with consumer use in mind, not security. Remember all those email VBscript virii that were going around destroying companies a while back? Those only worked because of a Microsoft security flaw. They don't work at all in Linux (or any non-Windows environment)
A semi-skilled hacker or even a fairly competant script kiddie can take out any windows machine not behind a good firewall. A decently configured Linux system, on the other hand, requires FAR more skill to take down. (or to gain access to)
Admittedly, Linux is not the best for Security (FreeBSD gets that crown), but it is better than Windows.

I use both--(My Windows machine is behind a Linux firewall) And I would like to see a Winamp for Linux quite a bit. I would even pay money for it again.

Charles N. Burns
Old 26th December 2000, 07:35   #13
DMoney

Winamp 2.71 in Linux <gasp>

Ok, so amidst the griping and complaining and whining and redundancy of Linux vs Windows blah blah...we're here to talk about WinAmp not which OS we prefer...but since this is to do with WinAmp, I've good news for Linux/WinAmps lovers...Windows lovers just move along to the next post, these next few lines might confuse you...they involve using a terminal and <gasp> a command line..ok...j/k..anyhoo..
Yes, WinAmp 2.x(at least I know 2.71) works in Linux(at least Mandrake distribution 7.2 but I'm sure it'll work on RedHet, Debian and SuSE as well)...here's how:

Go to your favorite Linux mirror and get the latest version of "wine" ...you'll probably have to peruse the developmental sites because WINE is still alpha, but it is a 32bit capable Windows API Emulator...(no, Quake 3 wont work with this) >=)...
After you've installed WINE, use your favorite file manager and copy the entire WinAmp directory from your FAT partition(if you don't have a separate HD or partition on that machine, you'll have to install it in Windows and then burn a copy to CD or something to that degree)...anyways, copy the entire directory for WinAmp to your Linux file system say in /usr/src/local/WinAmp/...
Now while in X, open a terminal window, type "cd /usr/src/local/WinAmp"(or wherever you put it) and type:
"wine --winver win95 winamp.exe"
Give it a min or two to load the API emulator and poof...WinAmp in Linux...unfortunately most if not all plugins will NOT work..duh...user settings aren't retained(haven't figured out if thats possible without the windows registry...might have to tweak the winamp.ini...<shrug>.....BUT all your skins should work like normal...oh, and you'll probably get 4000 errors in the terminal window when it loads, but it should still work fine..
Any questions? I doubt I can help further than this, but I'll try...
Latah..
Old 26th December 2000, 07:47   #14
DMoney

re: WinAmp in Linux

Ok...helpful hints...(learn from my mistakes):
1) If you have an enhanced keyboard with the CD/DVD controls, DON'T use the controls. WinAmp just tries to respawn itself and wigs out a whole lot before it shuts down.
2) Don't run it while you're running any other Audio players...same scenario as #1.
3) You can create a new application on the desktop and as the program name under the Execute tab just use the command line "wine --winver win95 /usr/src/local/winamp/" (edit that to your winamp directory of course...
4) No, I don't know any fixes for 1 and 2...I'm not a programmer...sorry...>=) but if I figure something out I'll let you know.
Old 27th December 2000, 02:55   #15
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by puzzled
Mr. Floid:

Have you ever even ran linux on your box? I have yet to find someone who uses their computer who tried linux and didn't like it. I don't believe i ever will either.

But yes, a linux port of winamp would be 'pimp'.

-puzzled.
I have tried linux and i dont like it. Im perfectly happy with my windows 98se and ME. Its never done me wrong. Besides I couldnt get my modem to work with linux and my screen res was to low. If some one could tell me how to do this just email me at djjazzyjeff84@yahoo.com. Thank ya

Go Winamp

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2000, 05:39   #16
DMoney

You should try a more updated version of a Linux distribution...your video card was probably not supported yet. As for your modem, if it didn't work, then you have a Winmodem(as in "WINdows modem" ...) ...it will not work in Linux...they've yet to make drivers for many software(winmodem)modems yet...but they will for popular ones soon enough.
Old 27th December 2000, 07:05   #17
Ice
Moderator Alumni

i tried freebsd a while ago, but couldn't get X Windows to run in a high enough resolution to actually work. if you know any sites that might be a help, i'd appreciate it because i may try freebsd again in the near future.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Old 27th December 2000, 07:08   #18
DMoney

I'm not entirely sure...but I will look into it...I don't have a lot of experience with the BSD's but I been meaning to look into 'em...what video card do you have? ...I'm a tech, so I spend 10 hours a day at work on the net reading useless BS. I'm sure I could find some helpful info..
Old 27th December 2000, 20:10   #19
DMoney

Well, because you mentioned it, I tried out FreeBSD for the first time last night. The main site is FreeBSD.org(duh). You might wanna try the latest release(4.2 is the latest full release I believe) ...it worked just fine at 1024x768 on my Matrox MGA Millenium(older, but nice 2d card), but they still have yet to get support for the Intel 810 3d video chipset..<sigh> ...

P.S. Damn, FreeBSD was a mother to install...oh well..
Old 27th December 2000, 22:18   #20
Ice
Moderator Alumni

its not freebsd, for sure, because i had the same problems with linux. its probally x windows just not liking my graphics card.

Old 28th December 2000, 06:27   #21
DMoney

True...its the xfree86 server that doesn't support your card. But some distributions add support for more hardware. If you wanna try Linux, get a copy of Mandrake-Linux 7.2. It supports most current video cards and the install process even a Windows user could probably handle...
Old 28th December 2000, 10:03   #22
RacingCaptain

Windows will never be better as long as it doesn't have the penguin log in screen. Awww, ickkle pengwins!
My pet theory at the moment is that Win Me is actually weapon released by mi$rosoft in an attempt to bring the world to its knees! It's poo! (Or at least was on my box)
RacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2000, 17:35   #23
-|z3®o-zeR0-31gH7|-

Send a message via ICQ to -|z3®o-zeR0-31gH7|-
Re: Winamp 2.71 in Linux <gasp>

Quote:
Originally posted by DMoney
Go to your favorite Linux mirror and get the latest version of "wine" ...you'll probably have to peruse the developmental sites because WINE is still alpha, but it is a 32bit capable Windows API Emulator...>>>>>(no, Quake 3 wont work with this)<<<<< >=)...
well I don't know if theres a Linux port but I am quite certain there is one. I know for example Unreal Tournament has an official Linux port, and I can remember the Q3 team wanted to put out a retail Linux version of next Q3 pack (they canceled it though) so it might well exist.
Anyways, WINE can run a whole lot of appz and perfectly 2.
Just look here and search for Rating=5 :
http://www.winehq.com/Apps/query.cgi

cya
-|z3®o-zeR0-31gH7|- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2000, 18:04   #24
Ice
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
True...its the xfree86 server that doesn't support your card. But some distributions add support for more hardware. If you wanna try Linux, get a copy of Mandrake-Linux 7.2. It supports most current video cards and the install process even a Windows user could probably handle...
tried that before... nifty install, but i have no clue why someone would make the installer skinable!

Old 28th December 2000, 21:58   #25
lunarboy1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by RacingCaptain
My pet theory at the moment is that Win Me is actually weapon released by mi$rosoft in an attempt to bring the world to its knees! It's poo! (Or at least was on my box)
I think that WinME looks great and it runs great on my machine. With DirectX8 and a good vid card, games look beautiful. I also think it is much more stable. I've only had one crash so far which is good considering I've had it for about two months.

I've also tried linux and played games that were ported to linux. They played great. Linux is a good OS that has just not gotten the break it needs. It just needs more people to offer ap on it to make it popular.
lunarboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2000, 23:50   #26
DMoney

Don't worry...a lot a major hardware and software companies have joined in to support Linux. IBM, Sun Microsystems, Compaq, & Hewlett Packard to name a few. As well as many major name applications are investing or putting out Linux versions of their software...RealPlayer, Netscape, AOL Instant Messenger(dont expect to see AOL for Linux, though) and Microsoft has even mentioned porting WiMP to Linux<gag>...there's loads more that have or are in the process of releasing their products for Linux. And anyways, in the meantime if your fav program is not yet been ported to Linux, there's no doubt a suitable if not better clone for Linux...GAIM(AIM), KNapster(which works unbelievably better than Napsters Windows release). There's even a program than will connect to MSN Messenger, ICQ, and AIM at the same time, in the same window...and if not, the Windows API emulators tend to work with a lot of everyday programs you like (e.g. WinAmp)...
Old 28th December 2000, 23:58   #27
DMoney

...oh, and just a sidenote that I felt like mentioning...

The Linux projects are not intended to burn down and destroy Windows and any other OS. The reason for Linux and the BSDs is:
1) Offer a viable, stable and feature rich alternative OS to Windows.
2) To offer software absolutely FREE and open source so that you can customize any program to your hearts content.
Linux, BSD and the GNU philosophy is that you shouldn't have to pay outrageous prices for software. $200-$500+ for Windows or UNIX server system is insane. The average everday computer user can't afford to buy a $200 copy of WinME for every computer he has. But, by law, you are required to because of MS's licensing. Linux is open source/open licensing. It can put on any number of computers for no cost(for personal use)...the commercial licenses cost money, but they are cheap compared to MS.
Windows 2000 licensing for 1000 computers(commercial) $2million
Linux RedHat licensing for 1000 computers(commercial) $200000
But, if you go out and purchase the full retail release of a Linux dist. with full versions of lots of proprietary software, which'll run you a whole $25(including manuals and 4 CD's of applications), you can put it on any number of systems, burn a copy for your friends, whatever...its legal....
Old 29th December 2000, 18:55   #28
theelf

Not for everyone

Linux like Windows is not for everyone but it does seem that the people who can't stand it until they increase Microsoft's profits are the same ones bitching about how bad Windows runs/crashes. Now Winamp on the otherhand.......
theelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2000, 20:00   #29
DMoney

Ever read the license agreement for Windows 98/ME? It says:
Windows is LICENSED, not SOLD. (i.e. you don't own your copy of Windows, Microsoft does, they just let you use it if you pay for it)
You may put Windows on only ONE system. You MAY NOT copy or distribute it.
You may connect a computer running Windows to a MAXIMUM of 5(FIVE) computers, and may ONLY use the Internet Connection Sharing Services. You MAY NOT use File and Printer Sharing or copy or share ANY files between these systems.

So what they're saying is you can network your computers with Windows 98/ME, IF you purchase a copy for each one and you can't copy files(even ones you own), between these systems. You can only share an internet connection between them. If you're using Windows, then you agreed to these terms when you installed it and are legally bound to follow these terms...what BS.

Viva la Freeware. Go Winamp. Go Linux.
Old 29th December 2000, 20:01   #30
DMoney

BTW, how do I become a Senior Member instead of a Junior Member? Is there some kind of hazing or what? >=)
Old 29th December 2000, 23:17   #31
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

Quote:
... As for your modem, if it didn't work, then you have a Winmodem(as in "WINdows modem" ...) ... it will not work in Linux ... they've yet to make drivers for many software(winmodem) modems yet ... but they will for popular ones soon enough.
DMoney -

Better advice (IMHO): Tell people to replace their Winmodem with a real hardware modem, and make life easier for themselves in the long run. Less glitches, more compatibility.

BTW, if I remember correctly, you become a Member when you make your 31st post, and Senior Member when you pass 100 posts.
Reverend Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2000, 17:40   #32
DMoney

True, going to a HW modem will solve a lot of problems...unfortunately, your everyday computer retailer doesn't offer many if any HW modem options. But for about $40 a month you can go to DSL/Cable and relieve all of your modem frustrations...Instead of 4.8kbps, I average anywhere from 500kbps to 3000kbps, depending on network traffic and the bandwidth of the server I'm connected to...its definately worth the $20 a month jump from a dial up ISP.
Old 3rd January 2001, 22:25   #33
Rx

Send a message via ICQ to Rx
Is there any noticeable increase in speed if you use a HW modem compared to the default Winmodem?
Rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 05:43   #34
DMoney

Um, no...a 56k modem is a 56k modem...but you'll probably see better reliability with a hardware modem...
Old 4th January 2001, 15:54   #35
Blackwolf

Linux blows

I tried Corels Linux, it chewed my Windows partitions. Linux is a mean little creature. Winamp should never be ported over. You linux people have your OSF go get them to write you a MP3 player, or write it yourself.

Linux is bad
Blackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2001, 13:53   #36
Bazza_B

OMG

what have I started? hehe and Yes there is a port of Quake 3 for Linux (and a few other games)

http://www.lokigames.com/

njoy
Bazza_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2001, 22:30   #37
Neuwk

Send a message via ICQ to Neuwk
A Linux port of WinAMP??? Wouldn't that defy the name of WinAMP?

HaHaHa Who said Linux get the best software
Neuwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2001, 23:19   #38
Bazza_B

True, True

That's why I called my post LinAmp
Bazza_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2001, 20:26   #39
DMoney

This isn't a forum to bash Linux or Windows. Its a Winamp wishlist forum. What we'd like to see happen to Winamp in the future. I don't come here to bash Windows because I prefer Linux, just in the hopes that there will be a pure *nix version of Winamp in the future. Blackwolf, if you're too inept to use Linux, then stay with Windows. But don't go bashing it because you had problems with it.
"We mock what we don't understand" ...or even better "We fear what we don't understand" ...you're natural reaction-as a lifetime Windows user-is of course to back up Micro$oft. Well more power to you. But those of us that were playing with computers before the hayday of Windows remember stability and functionality...so we want that with our OS's today. Your arguments against Linux(which most of you have never even seen a screenshot of, much less used) only prove how ignorant you really are. Its kinda like saying "I've never met or talked to Justin, but I think he's stupid and worthless, but some guy named Chris talks to me all the time and he's the man."
Old 8th January 2001, 13:42   #40
jns
Forum King

Re: Linux blows

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackwolf
I tried Corels Linux, it chewed my Windows partitions. Linux is a mean little creature. Winamp should never be ported over. You linux people have your OSF go get them to write you a MP3 player, or write it yourself.

Linux is bad
Tried slackware?

jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist