Old 17th December 2009, 17:55   #1
NJK
The Frisian

Winter strikes in The Netherlands

http://www.nu.nl/slideshow/1879902/popup.html#

some shots from the winter that hit our entire country

trains are delayed, you can't take the bus because they don't work anymore

It took me nearly 1 hour and 35 min to get home which normally is a 10 min drive.

Now we have to wait and see how it looks tomorrow morning.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 18:19   #2
ujay
Forum King

Thanks for that, we get it here in S.E.England next

I always get a bit excited when it snows. Goes back to when I was a kid, the bus couldn't get up the hill and we got the day off school.
A couple of days sliding around in the slush and the novelty wears off pretty quick.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 18:42   #3
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Looks like fun. Life gets boring here with 18°C winters.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 20:03   #4
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

70km+ on the A12.. They said it was the fourth-busiest day ever on the roads. Amazing, since there's only a few centimeters of snow here (Putten).

NJK, I hear that there's about 20cm where you live.. is that right?

here's a quick snapshot from one of our bedrooms

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 20:13   #5
NJK
The Frisian

@warrior

yep , and it piles up at the moment due to the hard wind
on some places it's getting to 40 cm

( leeuwarderdeel , 7 km boven leeuwarden)

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 17th December 2009, 21:43   #6
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

ARGH!
*me crawls under bed and stays there til spring*
I like snow...a little snow, I was going to complain about the cold here on LI. Not anymore.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 21:46   #7
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Man this 40f is killing me
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 00:41   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

After our arctic blast, which was completely dry, it's been raining like hell and today saw 50F. I did manage to avoid the broken pipes I was worried about last week. Some froze up, none broke. I'm surprised.

The pictures from the Netherlands wouldn't have stopped busses or anything if it were here. That takes 2 feet of snow/freezing rain (like last year). Other places in America, it would take even more than that. I guess it's the amount of preparedness that people employ. Usually pretty mild in Northwest Oregon. With an occasional show stopper.

Winter hasn't even technically started yet and I'm already tired of it. Dark at 4 in the afternoon. Makes me want to hibernate like an old bear.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 09:56   #9
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
The pictures from the Netherlands wouldn't have stopped busses or anything if it were here. That takes 2 feet of snow/freezing rain (like last year). Other places in America, it would take even more than that. I guess it's the amount of preparedness that people employ. Usually pretty mild in Northwest Oregon. With an occasional show stopper.
It's also the fact that (rail)roads in the Netherlands are overcrowded under normal conditions already. The sligthest thing (an accident, some snow) can cause the whole system to halt.

But yeah, 40cm (1.3 ft) as we had in the northern Netherlands this week is quite rare, we're not really prepared for that amount...

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 13:41   #10
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Also, we have 400 people per square km (that's over 1000 per square mile)

The worldwide average is 45.6 ppkm2 (source), the average in the US is 32.

I also think the sudden change of weather caught people off guard. I took these shots on November 8th, the first week the leaves started to fall. We're just 6 weeks further now.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 19th December 2009, 16:56   #11
NJK
The Frisian

@ Siebe

you're still here.
long time ago that i last heard from you

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 19th December 2009, 17:06   #12
ujay
Forum King

London continues to have it's own weather and it all turned into a bit of an anticlimax.

We got quite a lot of snow, but it never settled and the streets got no more than wet by morning.
Out in the sticks it was a bit worse.

UJ
Old 19th December 2009, 17:15   #13
NJK
The Frisian

they expect that tomorrow there will be snowfall again up to 20 cm

enough to keep me at home.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 20th December 2009, 08:58   #14
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

You were right

Look at how the wind gave me my own snowdunes in my backyard.

(I used a 6 second shuttertime to get a bigger DOF if anyone's wondering about the moving plants.
The wind is blowing pretty hard)

Old 20th December 2009, 09:35   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

We haven't had any snow this year, but last year did the busses in. Our electric commuter trains run all night in a storm to keep the wires frost free, so that usually doesn't go out.

Last year. Multiple layers of snow and ice to a depth of a couple feet. Snow, ice, snow, ice .... layered from thawing and re-freezing. It's typical Portland severe storm behavior and leads to some of the most treacherous driving (or walking) I've ever seen anywhere. Just snow or just ice would be nice. Luckily, it only happens every two or three years. You can't shovel the sidewalk. It just makes ice. Ice so slick you'll fall on your ass. It's better to have the sno-ice for traction. Salt seems to cause the snow to ice rather than melt anything. No salt on the roads cuz that melts cars more than ice. The roads get so packed, you'll have trouble climbing 6 inches up the ramp into a parking lot. Chains and studded tires are nearly useless. Staying home is the only smart move.

People who aren't from Oregon, and from obstensibly a lot worse climates, gain respect with these storms, because this isn't like Kansas Dorothy.

[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/100_2773.jpg[/img]

Here's Daisy crashing through the back yard. She isn't running because she has a choice. Stopping causes her to high center crashing through the ice/snow/ice/snow.

We're not off the hook for this year. It isn't even officially winter.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 20th December 2009 at 10:00.
Old 20th December 2009, 23:35   #16
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

Woo, it's snowing here now.
And because snow takes 10 years off me, I really hope it snows all night so I can mess about in the park by my mates hous - rather than, or infact aswell as, going to the pub.

When it snowed at the start of the year I made my first proper-ish snow man for 10( ?) years.

*didn't get to play in snow enough as a child.*

Also, winter solstice tomorrow - yay it'll start to get light again.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 00:23   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

It's 4:20 PM, it's getting dark, it's raining like hell. Tomorrow winter starts. Yay

Wake me up in March K?
Old 21st December 2009, 06:09   #18
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Cold weather is one thing, since I can always stay inside when I don't want to go outside, but when the cold weather affects my hot water and shortens my showers, then it becomes a problem...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 09:52   #19
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

It's hot and humid here
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 13:40   #20
ujay
Forum King

Wondered how long it would be before Little Miss 'We're having Xmas dinner on the beach' turned up

UJ
Old 21st December 2009, 17:08   #21
NJK
The Frisian

well you got to admit that christmas with high tempatures and sunshine ain't christmas at all

it needs to be dark so you switch on the lights , sit on top of the heating to get a bit warm and drink lots of alcoholic stuff to feel a bit warm. ( with the additional headache the next morning)

@shy
you got to admit you rather have that WA state christmas back.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 21st December 2009, 23:52   #22
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I say amen to that. I was in Riverside, CA one Christmas...It was almost ninety( and they had Sannie in shorts...) That's just wrong! !
Old 22nd December 2009, 01:12   #23
rockouthippie
Banned

I remember a Christmas in Phoenix. Riding a bike, tank top and shorts. Nice. But it really wasn't worth the unholy, hellish summers. I can't really bitch about the weather today. It's 45, rained a little. Nice enough to be outside for a while with just a quilted shirt.

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
but when the cold weather affects my hot water and shortens my showers, then it becomes a problem...
This isn't green, but if you look at your water heater, you'll see inspection covers on the top and the bottom. Underneath are the upper and lower thermostats. You may adjust them both to the same value. Turn off the circuit breaker to be on the safe side.

If you have NO CHILDREN, ELDERLY or other people likely to be stupid and scald themselves, you may adjust your thermostat. I set mine for 140, which will burn you if you are stupid. It makes the dishwasher work better, I get a longer, hotter shower. A 15 second exposure to the raw hot water would burn you bad. If you have risky people in your household, you probably shouldn't exceed 120. Most modern heaters are set for a very conservative 110. You would notice going from 110 to 120 without undue hazard.

You will need to be aware that when you adjust a water heater like this, flushing toilets while someone is in the shower is a no no. This was especially true when I had one adjusted to a rather dangerous 160 because the water had to survive 4 showers every morning. Nobody ever got really burned, but accidents resulted in some choice swearing.

One more hint is that you can put some insulation around the water heater by taping some wall insulation to it or buying a blanket which is made for the purpose. My water heater is in the garage, which might be colder than outside some days. I got some free scrap from a friend of mine that I used with some duct tape.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 22nd December 2009 at 02:15.
Old 22nd December 2009, 02:38   #24
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

Quote:
It's 4:20
Speaking of . . .
aFfLiCtEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 05:37   #25
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
This isn't green
Neither is the dual-plug 2.3L SOHC I4 in my car hooked up to a 4AOD tranny on a rear-wheel drive configuration (Or my driving style to that extent)...Neither are the laptop, PS3, TV, stereo system, and lights that all run at concurrent times at any time of the weekend in my bedroom...

I don't believe in "green", besides the kind that have dead US Presidents printed on them...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:08   #26
rockouthippie
Banned

I am somewhat energy conscious where it doesn't hurt. I have almost all CFL lights. I wrapped the water heater. I bike if it's not far and it's nice out (basically not raining). Exercise is good for an old dude. I recycle. I use a dog on a cold night, instead of an electric blanket.

It's not green, it's cheap. Here and there I put $100 a month in my pocket by not being wasteful. When I was younger, I didn't think about it, but it's amazing how much money a guy pisses away on nothing. Just with half-ass thinking about it, I get another grand a year for basically no effort and no standard of living change.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 22nd December 2009 at 06:33.
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:33   #27
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Cheap is one thing, but being "green" because you think it's going to "save the environment" is BS...Changing to CFL bulbs because you want to save money in a long-term investment makes a more logical justification to me than telling me you want to reduce your carbon footprint...

I argue nothing against saving money...

Old 22nd December 2009, 06:34   #28
rockouthippie
Banned

It's not a little money either. CFL is part of a saving of $50-$75 I have managed to reduce my electric bill with common sense.

We agree that environmental fanaticism is a plague. On the other hand, pissing money or energy away without getting anything out of it is stupid.

I think 0-60 in 5 seconds is a worthy use of fuel

BTW - CFL bulbs are great. I replaced one last year. I think it's like the third one in 5 years since I changed the whole house. I have one incandescent light in the house, so let's not create a commie plot to ban them.

And oh man, save us from the return of the 1975 one and a half squirrel powered econobox. Coming soon to a 2010 dealership near you.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 22nd December 2009 at 06:55.
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:58   #29
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

@ UJ: I couldn't resist But, yeah it's weird, especially as having some kind of roast is still traditional here, which is nuts cause it's too bloody hot to be using the oven.

And funnily enough we will be spending Christmas at the beach this year! I've had enough of the mandatory "family is important during the holidays" crap and we'll be lazing it up on the Gold Coast, family duties behind us.

ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:47   #30
rockouthippie
Banned

I just pop a roast in the gas grill in the summer (and sometimes in the winter here). Low and slo.

I think I could get over a subtropical climate were it to be inflicted on me It might even dry out the moss on my back and the mushrooms in my ears.
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:13   #31
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Snowed in Canyon last week. First time in about 30 years I'm told. Now remember this is California about 25 minutes from SF and elevation about 600 ft standing on tippy toes

Burst some water pipes under the house and boy howdy that was fun crawling around to fix/replace in the damn cold.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:02   #32
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

psst!
We, of course, turned the heat on !
Old 23rd December 2009, 05:23   #33
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by watadoo
Burst some water pipes under the house and boy howdy that was fun crawling around to fix/replace in the damn cold.
At least in the cold, you don't have all the spiders and bugs that live under the house. I picked freezing weather to string cat 5 under the house. No mud. No bugs.
Old 30th December 2009, 15:13   #34
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

My thoughts on the cold on LI expressed by Lewis Black
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:26   #35
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Here in Iowa...
Last night it was -15F (-26C)

Today (now) it's -6F (-21C)

And... yeah, we have a little snow, but we have the heavy gear to keep it from bothering us.

Some people don't mind it so cold, they sit and do ice fishing.

If you want to put insulation on your water heater, please make sure you know if you're using gas or electric, and if gas/propane, do not cover the air intake venting and make sure the insulation can handle the amount of heat thrown off while the gas is burning. Covering the venting will cause the pilot light to go out, causing a steady trickle of extremely explosive gas into your home. I keep my water heater at a slightly scalding temperature, but it's just Renee and me, no worries about other people scalding themselves. I turn off the water heater when traveling.

One more - saw this guy toughing out the cold - I shoulda brought my shotgun - would have made a great dinner (male ringneck pheasant).

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:22   #36
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

-26! And I complained new years day that is was -3 at 6am.
No wonder people still use Fahrenheit, they want it too look warmer.

That's also a, err, fair amount of snow too.

I knew it got bad up their since I was in contact with a couple who lived in Iowa too, but I hadn't seen pictures before. (Apparently last winter was the worst for a long time.)

(In comparison, the snow I had was a about 3-4inchs and was lame, you could barely make a decent snow ball with it let alone a snowman.)

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 06:30   #37
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

7 more inches (18cm) forecasted tomorrow with strong winds that will likely fill the roads with the new snow in addition to the snow that was originally pushed out of the way.

As it turns out, the day I got back into town after the holiday, it was much colder than I had claimed. The temperature according to weather.com on Jan. 2 was actually -32F (-35.5C) in my town with a wind chill of -54F, breaking a 1974 record. Some of the teachers and my principal made claims of even colder -36 through -40 actual temperatures at their homes with wind chills that would have been nearly -60. It has been a big problem for some of our farms (pig farming is big here, and many of the hogs aren't surviving), and a lot of our students' families are having to buy electric heaters because their furnaces aren't powerful enough to work alone, and when they do, they have to run nearly constantly instead of being able to kick in and out. People step out of their room-temperature buildings to temps literally 100 degrees (F) colder when they walk outside! Just to give you an idea - these are temperatures where spit becomes frozen pebbles before it even hits the ground. It's very dangerous to be in if you're not educated/prepared on how to handle it.

http://www.weather.com/weather/pastw.../50536?when=-4

COLD!

Random trivia: -40 is the only temp where F and C are equal.

Last edited by swingdjted; 6th January 2010 at 06:59.
Old 6th January 2010, 22:16   #38
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

My usual shortcut home doesn't work this time of year...

Instead, I have to take the main road (IA State Highway 4):

Old 7th January 2010, 17:54   #39
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Driving video (you tube):

Click --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzhXQ776mGc

The wind has kept some of the road clean, and the big payloaders have been to the school parking lot.

Old 25th January 2010, 23:55   #40
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions