Old 26th November 2003, 10:27   #1
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Anti depressents

Hi.

My doctor gave me ***** to take a little over 6 months ago because I was going through a really rough time in my life and became depressed. I was dating a guy that was VERY verbally abusive to me and I was having some business struggles.

I have gotten over the hurdles in my life and things have evened out for me. I dont feel that I need the ***** anymore and want to stop taking it. I called my dr but he is on vacation. I read on the internet that you cant just stop taking it because of withdrawl. Does anyone have any personal experiences to share with me to help me decide if I should just stop taking it?

Thanks!

~ Missy
missyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 10:32   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I'd suggest going to see another doctor if you cant see your regular GP.

I was on valium for a few months, and had some pretty severe withdrawls.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 10:43   #3
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Thanks for the advice. My doc will be back in town on Monday and I will wait to talk with him.

I dont want to go through withdrawls.

~ Missy

ps. Anyone concidering ***** - their are sexual side effects to the meds that really suck!
Old 26th November 2003, 10:45   #4
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

yeah, I was on ***** before. You have to be weaned (I dont know if thats the word, Im kinda braindead atm) off it. I've also been on celexa (sp?) and welbutrin. That stuff never worked for me, glad it worked for you though.

ctn|chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 11:07   #5
Hollow
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Hollow
Yeah weaned ins the word. Definately wait. It wasn't me, but, the Dr. didn't specify that you have to be weaned, and the withdrawal was worse than the symptoms that placed her on the ***** to begin with.

Good Luck

The moon is made of cheese.
Oh for some tasty moon cheese.
www.redtetrahedron.org
Hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 11:40   #6
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Americans amuse me. Not to say that people dont need anti-depressents, just differing views on our side of the pond.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 12:10   #7
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

I don't use pills to fix my life. I understand why you took them or why the doctor prescribed them, but if I had been you, I wouldn't have taken them in the first place.
You could always sell them on the street. I hear *****s get a pretty good price. Round here anyway.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 12:53   #8
missyob
Angel of Winamp

I would definately not sell them on the streets!!!!!

Any unused pills will go in the garbage.

I hate it when people try to judge others. I was not taking them to fix my life - that I had to do on my own. I went into a depressive state with everything that was going on in my life and this was just one thing that helped me get through it.

Please dont judge others until you have been in their shoes..... Each circumstance is different.

~ Missy
Old 26th November 2003, 12:59   #9
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by missyob
Please dont judge others until you have been in their shoes..... Each circumstance is different.

~ Missy
Amen!

You recognize that you don't need them at this point and want to stop taking them, that's good. I've known people who seem to think taking these kinds of meds is just a way of modern life and won't ever consider being without them. That I really can't understand.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 13:33   #10
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

I don't judge others, but he does have a point (my father is a psycologist and my mom is a doctor, i do to some extend know what im talking about). And while i know there is a great deal of disagreements over the usage among profesionals... my background kept me from taking anti depressants, when i wen't through a severe depression....
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 13:46   #11
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Fickle
if I had been you, I wouldn't have taken them in the first place.
I meant no offense. I was just saying that I personally am against taking pills for anything. I don't take aspirin, for Christ sake. I don't agree with your doctor for prescribing you such a strong dose of something that you can become dependant on. I wasn't judging you.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 14:37   #12
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Sorry Fickle I got defensive. I took it as an attack at the decision that my doctor and I made and I sincerely appologize.

--------------------

ertmann,

How did you overcome your depression "naturally". I am very curious.

~ Missy
Old 26th November 2003, 15:35   #13
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Please be careful stopping a schedule with *****. Anything that can gradually "bring you up" like it can, will just as easily drop your emotional state like a rock. Trust me...been there, done that. It's not as bad as stopping, say, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Neurontin, Gabitril or Clonopin (in my experience), but just know that anything that affects your mood will have a more severe, negative effect if you stop taking it.

The way most doctors would take you off of ***** would be to gradually reduce the dosage over the course of several weeks. DON'T stop cold-turkey, and don't even expect to stop in less than two or three weeks. It took your body over a month to "acclimate" to the *****, and it will take at least as long for it to "acclimate" to not having it.

What the doc would do would possibly be to do 3/4 or 1/2 dosage for a couple of weeks, then 1/2 of that dosage for another couple of weeks, then maybe one more drop before you'll be clear of it.

Just please be careful. Unless you have felt what anti-depressant withdrawal feels like, you cannot possibly imagine it.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 15:43   #14
missyob
Angel of Winamp

I have never felt the withdrawl symptoms and certainly dont want to start now.

I am not going to stop taking it without talking with my doctor first and if I regress want to look into taking Welbutrin instead of the *****.

~ Missy
Old 26th November 2003, 16:01   #15
dead-beat

Send a message via ICQ to dead-beat
Quote:
I meant no offense. I was just saying that I personally am against taking pills for anything. I don't take aspirin, for Christ sake. I don't agree with your doctor for prescribing you such a strong dose of something that you can become dependant on. I wasn't judging you.
i agree with fickle on most of what he said, im the same with asprin and things i wont take medicine for head aches or slight ilness as i know i will have a stronger imune system if i fight myself

but my point being that even here in the uk they prescribe anti dipressents i had three frinds at high school who took anti depressants and knew of more i wouldnt say it was a usa thing.

i too sometimes wonder if the presecriptions some doctors take on prescribing anti dipressants are really neccasary

altho as you said missyob i cant judge your situation as i was not there im just glad to hear things are coming back together and i hope you can get off the anti dipressants without too much trouble.

dead-beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 16:26   #16
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Wellbutrin is a good one for many people. Mild, hardly any side effects.

The one that I'd advise you to avoid if it's ever recommended would be Clonopin. I've never taken such an evil medication in my life. I've never had an angry or violent bone in my body, but several years ago when it was prescribed to me, I raged for three weeks. Never became violent, but I hated everything in the world and everyone who cared about me. I've heard similar stories from others, as well.

Luckily, I haven't taken anything for years, since I learned another way to permanently (so far) heal myself. No drugs, no therapy. It's basically a form of "self-actualization", for lack of a better description (one of the Rogerian psychological principles). It's learning yourself so well that you can have exceptional control over your feelings, thoughts and actions. It's incredible when you first start to notice it and learn to use it, then it becomes just "normal life". It's nothing magical, nothing you have to "join", and nothing that costs money. Just some research and then dedication to make yourself well.

Anyway, I really hope you find a way to feel better!

Old 26th November 2003, 17:30   #17
Bazman63
Major Dude

"I am not going to stop taking it without talking with my doctor first and if I regress want to look into taking Welbutrin instead of the *****. "

Good move. There's nothing wrong with medication on occaision. Sometimes you just need to kick start a re-balance of natural chemicals. Been there, done that. Good ole Prozac for six weeks sorted me out. But like Scor' I had episodes of extreme anger for a while. A few oher short term side effects, headaches, vivid dreams that left me wondering if I had had actuall conversations with people I knew. Luckily no withdrawal symptons.

I trained in Denamark to work with borderline psychotic children and youth substance abusers, so I have some knoweledge. The main concern in stopping any mood altering drug is it's basic make up. Barbituate based or related drugs,(Valium for axample), are extremely addictive and have very serious effects if discontinued without medical supervision.

So do as you say and consult your Doc in depth. G'luck.

'In this country, it takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.'"
Bazman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 20:28   #18
missyob
Angel of Winamp

The only side effect I have had with ***** is in a sexual part. I still get really aroused, but have a hard time reaching orgasm in any aspect. I was not involved with anyone at the time so it really did not matter to me. I knew I was feeling so much better in every other aspect of life so I stayed on them.

Now that I am in a relationship it bothers him (the orgasm part) and he is taking it personally. That is one of the reasons I decided to stop taking it. The other is that I dont feel a need for the meds anymore. I got through the really bad humps and feel I can deal with any daily stress that comes my way.

Big Hugs,

Missy
Old 26th November 2003, 20:49   #19
godoncrack
Forum King

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....gs#post1085787

good stuff
godoncrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 20:53   #20
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

For me antidepressants have yet to work. But I started group therapy last week and its helped me alot.

ctn|chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 20:58   #21
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
I only the read the first post but my advise to you is if it is a perscription, then finish the pills.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2003, 22:05   #22
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

I have taken *****, and it didn't do a thing for me, so I can't really advise you either way. But what I can say is that if you've taken them for that long, you should definately just take your time weaning yourself off of it. I myself am currently on two medications, so if I ever need to get off of them, it should be fun fun.
DragonSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2003, 00:51   #23
cyana
total eclipsed
(Major Dude)

Dear Missy,

***** enhances the serotonin system in the brain. When you stop taking it, eat bananas and chocolate instead in the first weeks, also treat yourself to sunlight (you might have found out already that these things also helped during your depression before your treatment)

hope you're feeling better

the Southern Pinwheel Project
A conversation with our universe
googlism note of the week: cyana is going to be the last thing you ever see
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2003, 01:08   #24
Magic_Midget
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Magic_Midget Send a message via Yahoo to Magic_Midget
All bodies are made differently. Your doc prescribed the meds for depression and you're gonna have to carry it out until he says to quit. Don't follow thru it's a possibility that you may go into relapse or end up in the hospital. Hope you feel happy MissyOb!

Fickle - not to irritate the issue more, imo, it's crucial to take pills to maintain some stability in our lives. I don't take aspirin, I hate taking pills daily cus of my symptoms. I'm sure you'll give in to pill taking if you end up depressed or in serious pain.
Also, if this type of topic comes up that ur unsure of..research a bit first..

Like Poetry and art? Visit my DeviantArt Site: www.lilithlairpoetry.deviantart.com
Magic_Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2003, 03:36   #25
lil vixen
Major Dudette

Send a message via ICQ to lil vixen Send a message via AIM to lil vixen Send a message via Yahoo to lil vixen
God Missy I can relate to the orgasm part, and being married it sucks.
I am easily aroused and it takes me for ever to orgasm, I am on ******* and klonopin.
I was recently diagnosed as a manic-depressive due to stress.

To those people who said you don't take anything even aspirin.
i hope you never have tp face a true depressice state, it is not nice.
I have never been with this way before, it truly sucks I am just not able to function normally again with the aide of medicatiom.
my kids are happy and thankful I am on them.

Anyway that is all I have to say.

I've been c0rrupted in a world of make.believe.
-suzy-
lil vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2003, 05:50   #26
White Raven
Little Winged One

I only take pills if I really cannot stand the pain, (Like when my back was out, I could not move a fucking inch without screaming, I could barely move my arms even) and I take it if I have really bad cramps and I have to go to school or something. (It's a drag when you're at school and feel like an absolute piece of shit...) I'm not a pill-hound, I don't take pills for every little thing.
(Oh yeah, I do take vitamins, too, but that's different.)

Yeah, I'd talk to the doctor about the anti-depressant thing, stopping prescription without doctor's knowledge... Not a good idea.

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2003, 06:30   #27
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by White Raven
I only take pills if I really cannot stand the pain, (Like when my back was out, I could not move a fucking inch without screaming, I could barely move my arms even) and I take it if I have really bad cramps and I have to go to school or something. (It's a drag when you're at school and feel like an absolute piece of shit...) I'm not a pill-hound, I don't take pills for every little thing.
(Oh yeah, I do take vitamins, too, but that's different.)

Yeah, I'd talk to the doctor about the anti-depressant thing, stopping prescription without doctor's knowledge... Not a good idea.
I'm really sorry you've had back problems. I sympathize with anyone that's gone through that, because I had a ruptured disk in late '95 and had back surgery in Jan '96 on my L5-S1 vertebrae. The most pain I've ever felt in my life was waking up in recovery. I literally woke myself up screaming. Then they hooked up the morphine pump...

Had to take *********** for about two months after that...stops the pain, but addictive as hell. Luckily I didn't end up addicted to them, but coming off of them hurt for a couple of weeks (lost some pain tolerance). I generally hate medication of any kind. If I can possibly avoid it, I do. Unfortunately, as of today I'm taking ******** for chronic migraines.

Old 27th November 2003, 09:54   #28
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
Unfortunately, as of today I'm taking ******** for chronic migraines.
I get cronic migraines also. I have been getting them since age 16. The anti-depressent helps some with the headaches. It helps me cope with the high amounts of stress I am under everyday with owning a company.

What is ********? I have never heard of it. I take fiournol. I know it is a highly addictive drug so I am extremely careful with it. I have also taken *******.

------------------

For everyone else. You are all so wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing your own experiences with me. It helps me realize that I am not a freak but others go through the same things.

I am feeling alot better than I did 6 months ago. I was in a VERY VERBALLY abusive and controlling relationship with a guy which I feel was the main factor in my going into a depression in the first place.

The sunlight option is not one for me. I live in NY. The sun does not shine here upstate and with winter here the sunlight is even less!

MMMMMMMMMMM Chocolate! Not a problem!

Love everyone and Thank you again.

Missy
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions