Old 31st December 2005, 09:44   #1
protegechris
Forum Queen

Content Management System based websites.

So I've been working on a new website for indiebandradio. I've got projects in at several Freelancer websites, as well as having a mockup I made myself.

Now at the moment I already combine many many features of PHPNuke into my radio station (look at www.indiebandradio.com)

I've been asked 3 or 4 times what CMS I use. It's not a CMS at all, I coded,designed, integrated all of the features I needed.

On this new site, I'm going to be integrating many new features including a band database/homepage system, and I'm trying to decided.. do I want to spend months working on drawing up a custom site, or should I simply install something like PHPNuke (or Mambo, whatever else) and addon/customize?

There seems to be this general stick going around about PHPNuke style websites and their general lack of appeal.. my question is, what do you guys think I should do?

Seeing as there is a lot of mysql querying being done as well as PHP stuff, in order for the page to load the modules and blocks would mostly all have PHP includes to display the SAM areas...

I've only used PHPNuke before, so if you think I should go that route, what would you recommend that balances ease of use vs. customizability?

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 10:55   #2
zootm
Forum King

In the field of content management systems, I have to say that I'm a big fan of Drupal, it's built to be extensible (most of the "basic" features are implemented as modules). I like CMS-based websites so long as they're done well (I realise I use a prebuilt theme for my site, but I like it and it's not like it's high-traffic), and they do add a degree of reliability (so long as you don't use anything with "nuke" in the name, since those systems seem to be written atrociously).

I'd say go with Drupal or Mambo or something like that, then implement the specific features/skins you want as modules, it's more maintainable and you don't get stuck having to update the core components so much.

If you really want to write something from scratch, consider dumping PHP for Ruby on Rails (Ruby), or TurboGears or Django (Python), they're probably better systems to be building on if you can find webhosting which will support them.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 11:02   #3
protegechris
Forum Queen

I just installed mysql/apache/mysql on my laptop to screw around with a few. I installed Mambo and I'm quite impressed.

Right now my site's kind of annoying. Different admin areas for the forums, the news, the Polling area, swag shop, and a few other things. Basically ends up with certain areas getting less attention than others simply because it's a pain to update them. Going to check out the options for shops and other things in Mambo, might go to sleep now

I'll also need to figure out whether I want to use some "integrated" PHPBB board or not. New login system brings a lot of problems, my current one runs off of the PHPBB database exclusively, which means making massive adjustments according to the number of changes made in the integrated version of the forums.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 31st December 2005, 11:12   #4
zootm
Forum King

Integrating phpBB can be a serious pain — it might be worth looking into a migration tool to the Mambo forum module (I assume it has a forum module). One thing people hate about Drupal is that its forum module uses threaded comments (think Slashdot), rather than the sort of BB-style system, so you should probably look out for that.

I've not used Mambo before, but I'm led to believe it's pretty similar to Drupal in a lot of ways.

Edit: The phpBB component actually looks semi-ok, it seems, but I expect there'll still be a little disparity.

Old 3rd January 2006, 17:41   #5
Mattress
Forum King

You may also want to check out textpattern

Additionally, Joomla is basically a newer version of Mambo
Quote:
Joomla! is a Content Management System (CMS) created by the same award-winning team that brought the Mambo CMS to its current state of stardom.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 18:28   #6
zootm
Forum King

I was reading a thing about the Joomla/Mambo nastiness the other day. Unpleasant!

Old 3rd January 2006, 20:25   #7
Mattress
Forum King

I don't really know the story. Just that Joomla is supposed to be newer/better.
Old 3rd January 2006, 20:52   #8
zootm
Forum King

They're basically feature-comparable at present, I'm not sure which, if any, is actually "better" in any absolute way. The article is here if you're interested anyway

Old 3rd January 2006, 20:58   #9
protegechris
Forum Queen

After looking around, the easiest form of migration to go from IBR's current site into a CMS would be the PHPNuke system.

Mainly because, since I've used it on another station before, I know how it works and more importantly, I know the database structure. Which will make converting the 2000 member db over to a new one a little bit easier (assuming I will have some problems with the converting programs, but we'll see.)

I know it's a lot of the time bitched at for being insecure or whatnot, but the full integration with PHPBB is a plus, and I'll be sure and install nukesentinel/the nukefixed patches from chatserv.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:24   #10
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress

Additionally, Joomla is basically a newer version of Mambo
Joomla/Mambo makes PHP-Nuke look like complete garbage.

Drupal is also a nice one.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 00:32   #11
protegechris
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
Joomla/Mambo makes PHP-Nuke look like complete garbage.

Drupal is also a nice one.
I haven't found one theme I've liked yet for either... recommend a site or two? Something with potential for a rock station (not going to leave it default or anything)

yeah, i'm back.
Old 4th January 2006, 18:51   #12
Mattress
Forum King

make your own
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions