Old 25th February 2007, 17:36   #1
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Web Based Revision Control

I'm looking for some type of web based svn, cvs type of thing. Ideally, I'd like to be able to go to a website, enter my credentials to check out something and then do the same to check it back in. That way I don't have to worry about anything at all from the client side. It's useful as I often do work in the CS labs here and am constantly getting my versions confused.

It doesn't have to be massive just something that will run on apache and allow authentication. I'll probably end up using ssl with it as well.

Thanks for any ideas.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2007, 19:11   #2
zootm
Forum King

There's tons of web front ends for CVS/SVN/etc., but they don't usually allow you to check stuff in or out through the web interface.

I don't actually know of anything that lets you do that; but beware - this does not sit well with things like SVN's atomic commits (or, in fact, with any decent-sized project, which is quite probably why it's never been done).

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2007, 21:49   #3
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Any suggestions at all of what might be a good solution. I'm getting a little tired of scp combined with file.c.old etc

All I really need is web based file manager ( should have authentication, but it doesn't have to read the local passwd file or anything ) and some type of version management.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 25th February 2007, 23:26   #4
zootm
Forum King

SVN can work over HTTP, but it's not very friendly viewing it through a browser; if your limitation is with only being able to connect through HTTP, that'd do. You can get web frontends for it if you want them

I'd definitely suggest Subversion as a version control system though. What kinda use-cases are you looking at here?

Old 25th February 2007, 23:43   #5
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

It doesn't have to be http, I just though it would be nice so that I don't need to worry about what's installed client-side. That way I can just go to a random machine on campus and be set.

As far as use, it's just for my own personal use along with maybe a couple other people. This is something that is mostly just for my own convenience.

//I almost don't really need something as powerful as subversion. I just want to download a file and then somehow make sure that I don't download it again somewhere else until I either upload the new version or signal to the software that I'm axing the changes that I was going to make so it's fine to let me download it again.

Last edited by k_rock923; 26th February 2007 at 00:18.
Old 26th February 2007, 07:33   #6
zootm
Forum King

Most version control systems don't actually work like that; I know that the Microsoft one works like that (but [i]don't use it, it's disgustingly poor), and that Subversion can be *made* to work like that with the "Needs-Lock" property on files. But generally one merges in changes if they have conflicting versions.

I'm not sure what sort of solution you want, though; it doesn't sound like you're editing source control or anything, so it might almost be worth using some document management system instead.

Old 26th February 2007, 10:18   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't know if it helps but have you looked at Jedi VCS?.

http://jedivcs.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

I know some guys that are using it to support a small developer group. Other than that, I don't know much about it.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 11:15   #8
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Yea. I guess it's not truly revision control the way subversion works, although it would be nice to able to roll back changes. All of it's source code, so everything is ascii encoded.

RoH, I'll take a look at that. Thanks

Old 26th February 2007, 12:35   #9
zootm
Forum King

If it's source code, you might just want a proper VCS, but you might just wanna bite the bullet and install a proper client on the machines your working on.

I can tell you how to set up Subversion clients to do what you want, in any case. And I think that Microsoft's SourceSafe is set up like that by default, but it's a pain in the ass in every possible way. Although I'm not a big fan of file locking in general (which is always fun for heated office debates ).

RoH:
I'm not sure that's going to offer anything in particular over Subversion or whatever, I guess it's a long-shot, but do you have any more information on the particular strengths of the package? From their website it seems that it's mostly for people migrating from FreeVCS, but I think that SVN would have better tools and integration already available. I could be missing something though, the website looks a bit scant.

Old 26th February 2007, 20:59   #10
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I think I might try out this and see how it is. I'll let you know.

The thing is zootm, that if I'd have to just use the svn command from a shell, I may as well just keep using scp and not even bother.

Old 27th February 2007, 09:02   #11
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
The thing is zootm, that if I'd have to just use the svn command from a shell, I may as well just keep using scp and not even bother.
There's graphical clients for Windows (and probably Linux, although I've not found a good one), though. Check out TortoiseSVN, we use that at work and it's a piece of cake to use.

The document management program you mention could be good too, though, yeah. The best one I know of is Alfresco, but it might be a bit heavyweight for what you're doing. It can do cool things like sharing managed documents as a Windows share though.

Old 4th March 2007, 17:37   #12
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

As it turns out, this thing is horrible. It saves the files locally as 1.dat 2.dat etc. I'm not even sure what I'm trying to accomplish anymore. At some point, I want to upload all of my code to my webspace so future students at my school can look at it.

Ideally, there would be some type of way to automate this and keep only one copy around. I'm also looking at the java2html tool to automatically do syntax highlighting.

All of this code and all of these machines is just becoming unmanageable.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions