Old 18th February 2011, 22:29   #1
fc*uk

Tire help

So, I drive a car with a modest amount of zip to it. My car came stock with summer tires, which I now need to replace.

The OEM's are P225/45WR17 summer performance tires.

Reviews aside, these tires kick all sorts of ass, aside from the fact that I only got 20,000 miles maximum on them.

So the question: can anyone recomend anything of equal performance at least that won't cost me my first born child like these do?
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 02:28   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I can't say I've had any experience with their run flats, but the Conti SC2's are awesome tyres, my car came with them in 225/40/18 and I've been really happy with them. I'll probably get them again, but in a 235/40/18 as it's a more common size here.

Michelin Pilot sport 2/3, Kumho KU31, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym/GS-D3, Bridgestone Potenza RE050 etc. are also worth a look. I'm not sure about US pricing, but the Kumho's would probably be the cheapest.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 00:57   #3
fc*uk

Yeah, the thing is I still want the performance out of those Conti SC2 run flats. They really are a great tire, aside from the fact that I really think I got about 15,000 miles on them; 20,000 maximum. My car only has 35,000 miles on it and if you assume I used the summer tires for half the miles ...

I've done a bit of looking around this weekend and am considering the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S's. I can get them for about $100-$150 usd less than the SC2 run flats... It's still a bit of cash, but one I am more willing to live with.
Old 21st February 2011, 01:47   #4
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

That wear rate seems pretty normal. If you were getting less than that (and weren't driving like a lunatic) I'd say get the alignment checked and make sure you're running them at the correct pressure, but they're not an economy tyre so you can't expect them to last as long.

How much is the total cost of the tyres? If they're over $1000 a set, then I'd just pay the extra $150 so you can run a tyre you know you'll be happy with. The P-Zero's shouldn't be awful though.
Old 21st February 2011, 04:57   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
So the question: can anyone recomend anything of equal performance at least that won't cost me my first born child like these do?
You are paying a lot for a 168 mph speed rating (W) I hope you are not using. Go to the tire shop and explain your maximum speed requirements. You should be able to find a good, probably more durable tire. Unless you are really racing, or some kind of nut that drives around at 140 mph.... I'll bet 5 or $600 would get you something pretty decent.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 21st February 2011 at 06:46.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 06:51   #6
ujay
Forum King

Keep a close watch that you are running at the correct pressures, this affects wear more than any othe factor.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 07:05   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

Look at BF Goodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial. It's only C temperature range (130 mph), but it would probably grip better in a launch, last longer, corner better and be at least a third cheaper.
Old 26th February 2011, 00:24   #8
fc*uk

I'll take a look at those ROH.

Atmo, well ... if I do go with anything other than those SC2 run flat's the place I am going to get them from has a 30 day exchange policy if you are not satisfied as long as you purchase the replacement from them. Though the run flat's are a shoe in, I would at least like to try for something a little less. Those tires are the oem's on a prosche, and I really don't drive a porsche, so I think I could afford a performance hit and not notice it really.

UJ, I do keep an eye on the pressures somewhat as I have those tpms (tire pressure monitoring system) in all my tires. The tires I currently have and need to replace are well known for not getting enough miles out of them; in fact their biggest knock is they need to be replaced at about 15,000 to 20,000 miles, which is about where I sit.
Old 26th February 2011, 02:49   #9
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
on the site you linked for your tires you're swapping from, the only two reviews i saw on the site both mentioned that those tires wear incredibly fast.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 14:32   #10
fc*uk

Heh, I just read your speed rating comment ROH. True, I am paying a lot for a 168 mph rating that I am not using. However, my assumption is with that 168 mph rating comes a certain quality of handling, which is what allows me to essentially never really need to slow down when I corner, or take those highway on ramps that recommend 25 mph at 70 mph.

Unfortunately, I can't ever get my car up to 168 mph. It is regulated at 108; engine shuts off and will not turn back on until the speed drops below 90. I've thought about undoing that, but so far it is only a thought.
Old 28th February 2011, 15:18   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

90 should be fast enough. Our roads are sure not the Audubon. The temperature rating probably is not an indication of handling per se. I never really saw the difference in quality tires. Ya buy something half way decent and it works fine.

I think it's one of those deals where money gets square law against benefit. I figure you could go buy a $600-$700 set of tires and be a happy camper.

You're just frying the sum-bitches anyway... Were you looking for a particular shade of blue when you roast the tires? Even if you had to take the 25 mile an hour corner at 70 instead of 75? I assume you're just screwing around?

What you are looking at is an Audubon rated tire, where you can tool along at a buck and a quarter without blowing up. It doesn't necessarily mean it handles better.... or noticeably better.... or $500 better Since you intend to fry them in 20,000 miles... you won't have that long to live with your decision, good or bad.......

If it won't fold over before you exceed your G force in your corner, a tire is mainly a tire. Burning em off and blasting through corners does not create the amount of heat that tooling along at more than 125 does. In Europe, it's illegal to sell underrated tires or the car must be governed. It's probably why your car came with this choice stock.

We could assume the vehicle would go over 108? Hell, a lot of these cars these days will tool along at 140.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 28th February 2011 at 16:25.
Old 1st March 2011, 00:08   #12
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I think it's one of those deals where money gets square law against benefit.
This is very true, but that last 5-10% could be the difference between a close miss and a complete disaster and this is why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
Even if you had to take the 25 mile an hour corner at 70 instead of 75?
If you can guarantee that 100% of the time you can drive within the limits of the car, the tyres and the road then it's safe to use less than optimal tyres. It's impossible to do that though. Even if you do leave plenty of margin under normal circumstances there's always a chance that one day you might need to swerve to avoid the kid that runs onto the road, or the truck taking up half your lane on a blind corner or if you hit a patch of slippery road in the wet when you're not expecting it and so on. The extra 5-10% may not actually be enough, but I'd rather have it than not.
Old 1st March 2011, 07:49   #13
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't think it would be 5 or 10% handling difference.... if there is any distinguishable handling difference at all. The design constraint for these high velocity tires is that they won't explode at high speeds (beyond what the car is governed at). I wasn't suggesting that a guy buys crap. I think it's even possible that the W rated tires might not be as good at handling.

T/A's, for example, are really sticky, good in water..... etc...

Quote:
If you can guarantee that 100% of the time you can drive within the limits of the car, the tyres and the road then it's safe to use less than optimal tyres.
If you are going to take the governor off and drive around at 140, then you should use ZR tires, not W's. Otherwise I doubt it matters.
Old 3rd March 2011, 00:46   #14
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=288997

I have been very happy with my purchase mentioned on post #11 of that thread. They grip extremely well and are rated to 149, far faster than what I need. Even H rated tires are overkill if your car is limited to 108. I don't have a governor on my car, but I doubt I would be able to pass 149, even with 263hp under the hood. The truck probably does have a governor, but I don't feel safe pushing it too far because of it's height and off-road suspension. Besides, I don't drive super fast much anymore.

The Michelin Primacy MXV4's that I use have saved the lives of many deer and have kept me safe in really insane Iowa weather. They corner extremely well in the mountains of PA and NY where one mistake could have you fertilizing a tree with brain matter. They have operated well in negative double-digit cold and positive triple-digit heat, wet and dry roads, snow, mud, and ice. They're not going to outperform super-swampers from a jeep, but overall they have been great for my car, even when I probably should have taken a 4x4. Finally, I can say that they're almost 3 years old, and they have around 40,000-45,000 miles on them, and they still have decent meat on them despite some harsh aggressive driving.

Don't forget to watch this video about tire age at the time of purchase.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions