Old 4th June 2011, 19:22   #1
rockouthippie
Banned

Overclocking

I have been overclocking this 1055T X6 Athlon (2.8 Ghz) to 3.4 Ghz. That's a 20% overclock. It stays cool enough. If I go much further, it overheats. I have been told that you can overclock these to 4Ghz. That is true, but not if you are going to run the CPU at 100% for more than a few minutes.

I'm sort of calling "bullshit" on the claims that overclockers make. I have been able, with a good cooler, to exceed clock speeds by 20% and keep the temperature under control. I have not ever seen the miraculous 40% overclocks "on air" claimed by overclockers.

So... no bullshit... tell me your overclocking story. If you run Prime 95 for an hour do you melt? A 1055T will thermal shutdown @65C. 3.4 Ghz puts me @ about 57C under 100% load. 4 Ghz for more than a few minutes will overheat.

I do know one guy with an Intel CPU that runs @ 4Ghz. He had to use water cooling despite the claims you could do 4Ghz "on air".
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 15:25   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. Every individual CPU is different, there can be quite a bit of variance between batches and even in the same batch.

I've had 100%+ overclocks on air cooling using low end CPU's (Celeron E1200 1.6Ghz at 3.6, 24/7 LinX/Prime stable). On the other hand I had an Athlon XP2400+ that couldn't manage a 5% overclock (2Ghz stock, 2.08 was the best it could do and it wasn't a FSB issue with the board).

Either way, it's still free performance.

Something to remember when comparing results is that to some overclocking enthusiasts, practicality and functionality are secondary considerations to maximum speed and benchmark scores.

To some, to call an overclock stable might mean that everything is in a closed case, with a video card and other heat sources, using a heatsink/fan combo that's reasonably quiet, in a room that's at a comfortable temperature and able to run Prime/LinX etc. 24/7 without fault. That's my minimum requirement anyway.

To others, it might mean the motherboard is out on a bench or open case, isolated from other heat sources, large tower cooler with a couple of 120mm fans spinning at 3000+rpm (~65db) in a cold/cool room, only just able to run a single pass of 3dmark or 1m superpi.

My current i7 920 has been running at 4Ghz 24/7 for 18 months now, through 2 summers with several 40+ degree (celcius) days without a hitch. It's water cooled and was designed and built to be able to do that though.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 17:26   #3
fc*uk

There was a dude at the university where I went to that got a Pentium Pro 133 up to about 1 ghz. That was impressive; it was also impractical.

The guy took a water cooling unit and modified it to be able to deal with liquid nitrogen. The guy was a chemistry major as well so the N2 was easy to get.

This computer still did not go off without a hitch. Condensation on the mobo was a real issue. You also had to time the flow of the nitrogen with the heat output of the cpu so help minimize the condensation problems.

I think the max running time before something fried itself somewhere was on the order of 5-10 minutes.

Like I said, not really stable or workable. Very cool though that it could be done. To put it in perspective, this was around the same time that the Athlon T-birds were coming in around 1-1.2 ghz.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News