Old 25th March 2006, 03:04   #1
gbr

Small problem with skin submission at WA.com ...

Hi,
I recently updated my skin BasicAmp2 at the WA site. The comments on the page http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=145403 have been updated ( "- select from 6 text fonts & 6 styles ... " ), but the wal file, small image and large image have not been updated. Therefore the downloaded skin is "not in sync" with the comment. It would be nice if the comment, file and images were updated ( or not ) simultaneously.

Mod, can you do something about it ?

Thanks.
gbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 03:10   #2
pjn123
Major Dude

I have the same problem with NMP10 v4...

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 05:06   #3
QuadHeliX
Major Dude

this has been a problem for a year, I tryed the same with myxmp skin and it never updated.
QuadHeliX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 07:46   #4
pjn123
Major Dude

Just want to know...

Why don't the y fix this? Its not like they don't have the money or the skills. This is very fustrating

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Old 25th March 2006, 08:45   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

It's not a question of money or skills, its a lack of resources, there is still really just one guy working on the site, and he's working with a hugely complicated codebase that he inherited from someone else, who in turn inherited that from someone else. It's been patched and tweaked with all kinds of stuff to keep it running and it gets messy when you do that.

Combine that with the fact that there are other things going on connected to winamp.com that take priority.

I understand your frustrations, I'm a skinner too don't forget, but I'm afraid it's always been like this for as long as I can remember, you get used to it.

Just keep telling yourself it'll get fixed eventually and all will be well.

The ultimate goal would be to throw it all out and start over with a new system, but I doubt you will see any money for that.

/oh, and I should add, that your revised components are reaching the database, they are just not replicating over onto the live winamp.com site, so there is no need to keep re-submitting them over and over, as soon as it's figured out where the problem is and why the live site isn't updating they will move over as if by magic
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 15:34   #6
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
@Jones: Would it be easier if the new guy just rewrote the entre code for the site, or is it easier to just tweak the old code?

(Honest question, not trying to sound like a smartass)
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 16:37   #7
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

We'd love a re-write from scratch, and to some extent that is what is happening, noticed some back end changes last night in fact.

Truth is, it's probably too big an undertaking to start from scratch, the last full change of the back end, around about the time the site was divided into winamp and classic.winamp, was a re-write, and that's where most of the problems started and they've never been right since.

Part of the problem was that site that was built, and is still in use today, was put together by third party people outside of nullsoft/aol and to be quite frank, it was shit.

So, that was the budget blown and still no useable site, so over the last 3 years or so, it's been knocked into shape slowly.

But as always, there are limited resources working on it, there are more important, money generating, areas of the site that take priority, you may have noticed the not inconsiderable ammount of online media content that has been worked on recently for inclusion in the winamp client.

You simply can't dump a re-written site the size of winamp.com into place without a massive ammount of development,testing and resources, just impossible.

Now, it'd be a different matter if winamp skins generated a revenue stream, but they simply don't and never have, so you will never see a money centric company like aol throw large ammounts of cash at what is a small thing, you may think your skins are wonderful and that's all people download winamp for, but you'd be wrong.

If the 16million people who downloaded mmd3 had paid $5 a time for it, well, you can do the sums right.

But as 16 million people didn't pay for it , in fact it probably cost AOL to provide the bandwidth for those 16 million people to download it.

It's all about money money money.
Old 26th March 2006, 03:56   #8
gbr

OK, so what do I do now ? Re-update the skin ? Delete the original and resubmit it ? I'm getting complaints ( via e-mail ) from people who have downloaded the file.
Old 26th March 2006, 08:27   #9
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

You can do that, delete the original and upload a new copy, dont forget to give the component a slightly different name on the submission form , add a V1 or something to it

Or wait for things to get fixed up, no there is no timescale for that.
Old 26th March 2006, 15:43   #10
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
yes, have the same prob with my mac-skin! want to update it to 1.41 - but nothing happened (update from 1.0 to 1.3 worked)
Quote:
You can do that, delete the original and upload a new copy, dont forget to give the component a slightly different name on the submission form , add a V1 or something to it
will then the download-count be deleted as well?

WebSite: www.skinconsortium.com - Community for Userinterface Design & Coding
Skins: Click Here
martin.deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 17:59   #11
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Yes, but do you really care about that, or do you care more about the downloader getting the right version?

Guess it's time to decide what is more important, ain't it?
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 18:28   #12
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Yea, what's more important, letting people use the latest and greatest version of your skin or looking at your download epenis counter?
Old 26th March 2006, 18:29   #13
pjn123
Major Dude

Quotes by Mr Jones...
Quote:
It's not a question of money or skills
a few days later...
Quote:
It's all about money money money
If I got 1 sent for each skin download I will be . Maybe we should start selling advertising space on our skins? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (wrote this while listening to Flying Lizards - Money Thats What I Want.mp3)

Ok, I cant update my skin because the guy that works on the site doesn't have the money or time...
thatGuy = Money X Time
:: Time is money...
thatGuy = Money X Money
:: Money is the root of all evil...
thatGuy = root(evil) X root(evil)
Thus:
thatGuy = evil

Wildrose-Wally
Quote:
Guess it's time to decide what is more important, ain't it?
Mmm. Downloads to me.

Old 26th March 2006, 18:43   #14
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Why are downloads more important?, you are skinning for the wrong reasons if numbers are all you are after.....

/heads backstage to suggest removing download counts .....

/oh, and don't quote me out of context please, if you wanna quote me, at least make it read correctly. I have explained some of the problems and issues this site faces coutless times over the years and yet noobs still bitch about it, gotta learn to suck it up and play the long game.

The bottom line is...
Lack of resources.
What resources there go into more important parts of the site
It'll get fixed eventually, it always does.
Old 26th March 2006, 19:34   #15
pjn123
Major Dude

I'n not saying downloads is the MAIN reason why I make skins. The main reason will be because its my hobbie.

But you'll have to agree with me - If you make a skin and 1000 peaple download it a year you'll think it isn't good. I want as many people as possible to use my skin. Most skin downloaders or new users make use of the most downloaded page to see what skins they like and thats the reason why a new skin will start being downloaded slowly in the begining and then, the higher the download#, the higher the rate of downloads per day.

If you came to winamp.com for the first time and see the mmd3 with 1000 downloads and other skins with 1mil+ you won't bother looking at mmd3.

# of downloads is a fast way of finding a good skin. The top user/winamp rated skins have to much skins with ex. 4.5 or 4 stars and it also show winamp 2 skins. Im not saying all skin with high number of downloads is good(think i you can find a playboy skin there...we all know why that downloaded so good) and I know there is also wa2 skins with high downloads.

Hope the guy can get the problem fixed but this might sound weird but its actauly a good thing that this is broken... This means you must beta test your skin more and have a plan when starting...

Monty Python
Quote:
"Always look on the bright side of life"

Old 26th March 2006, 19:54   #16
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by pjn123

But you'll have to agree with me - If you make a skin and 1000 peaple download it a year you'll think it isn't good. I want as many people as possible to use my skin. Most skin downloaders or new users make use of the most downloaded page to see what skins they like and thats the reason why a new skin will start being downloaded slowly in the begining and then, the higher the download#, the higher the rate of downloads per day.

If you came to winamp.com for the first time and see the mmd3 with 1000 downloads and other skins with 1mil+ you won't bother looking at mmd3.

# of downloads is a fast way of finding a good skin. The top user/winamp rated skins have to much skins with ex. 4.5 or 4 stars and it also show winamp 2 skins. Im not saying all skin with high number of downloads is good(think i you can find a playboy skin there...we all know why that downloaded so good) and I know there is also wa2 skins with high downloads.

Hope the guy can get the problem fixed but this might sound weird but its actauly a good thing that this is broken... This means you must beta test your skin more and have a plan when starting...

You and I will have to disagree with that, my personal fave skin that I've ever made only has a mere 1900 downloads, and I'm more proud of the fact that 1900 people took time out to find it, download it and use it than if a 1,000,000 people blindly downloaded it because it was glued to the front page of the main site for weeks/months/years on end, as is the case with mmd3

Trust me, it will get fixed, and yeah, it is kind of a good thing, it does mean you really have to beta test your skin to death before submitting it and when you finally do it's as good as skin as you can possibly make it.

Again, I have 2 skins completed recently that I started back in the first weeks of January, now I knew there were problems with the site, so I've given them to my beta testing group for them to find problems, give suggestions and they found some obvious bugs and some no so obvious, I'd be really pissed if I'd submitted it and then found I couldn't update it becauase someone found a bug I missed.

As it stands now, it's probably a month behind when I could have released them, but on the other hand I'm pretty confident that I've found every bug and graphical glitch there is and added as many functions/features as I think is needed for the skin, so that when I do release them I'll be a happy bunny to say the least.
Old 26th March 2006, 21:11   #17
Michgelsen
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by pjn123
a new skin will start being downloaded slowly in the begining and then, the higher the download#, the higher the rate of downloads per day.
Not true in most cases, in the beginning there will be much more downloads. The skin will then be on top of all the older ones and more people will see it. As time goes by, it sinks into the pile of longlost skins and less people will come across it and download it. Maybe once you reach the 1,000,000 that you'll notice an increase again, but most skins don't reach that.
Michgelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 03:59   #18
gbr

Mr Jones, when this problem is fixed please let us know via this forum.

I'm going to wait for a month or so and then re-submit the skin if necessary.

Thanks.
Old 27th March 2006, 05:13   #19
gbr

By the way, BasicAmp2 v1.3 is available here :

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/19540653/

v1.3 ( 17 March 2006 )
BasicAmp2.wal md5 : abb9e691b08625556ef3cd3a857d1d09
- some fixes.
- 3 more styles - brushed metal, dark metal & vanilla.
- 3 more fonts - elegant, lowercase & formal.
- option to set random style and/or random font at startup.
- tested with winamp v5.21 .

Mr Jones, can I mention this in a "review" of BasicAmp2 on the WA skins page ?
Old 27th March 2006, 10:06   #20
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
and what happens if a new winamp version doesn't support an old function like loading of *.xml! then i have to update it!!

Old 27th March 2006, 11:52   #21
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally posted by gbr
By the way, BasicAmp2 v1.3 is available here :

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/19540653/

v1.3 ( 17 March 2006 )
BasicAmp2.wal md5 : abb9e691b08625556ef3cd3a857d1d09
- some fixes.
- 3 more styles - brushed metal, dark metal & vanilla.
- 3 more fonts - elegant, lowercase & formal.
- option to set random style and/or random font at startup.
- tested with winamp v5.21 .

Mr Jones, can I mention this in a "review" of BasicAmp2 on the WA skins page ?
You can post it in the comments, to put it in a "review" is extremely tacky.
Old 27th March 2006, 14:15   #22
gbr

Wildrose-Wally :
I know, but updating the page itself is dicey - that's what started this thread in the first place.
Plus, there's a limit to the number of chars in the comment section.

martin.deimos :
I didn't understand your post. Please explain.
Old 27th March 2006, 15:25   #23
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

...ok:
well, in mac os x panther / tristania skin all the xml files needed for the configsystem/-pages are located in config/configpages/
in config/config.xml i loaded them via <include file="configpages/*.xml"/>
but this is broken since winamp 5.21 -> not all pages are displayed -> i need to update -> updating doesn't work

clear now?

Old 27th March 2006, 17:05   #24
TheElusiveMelon

Yeah i had the same problem with my Dante XXI skin i think. I know its a tough job though, so dont worry too much
TheElusiveMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2006, 00:13   #25
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally posted by gbr
Wildrose-Wally :
I know, but updating the page itself is dicey - that's what started this thread in the first place.
Plus, there's a limit to the number of chars in the comment section.
Updating the comment works fine, it's about the only thing that does work fine.

Maybe if you don't write a book, you can get it all in.

Reviewing your own skin is still tacky at any rate.
Old 28th March 2006, 02:32   #26
gbr

Not reviewing it, just wanted to let users know that the file currently available at the WA site is the older version and that the latest is available at DA.

I'll use the comments section.
Old 28th March 2006, 06:30   #27
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I have just updated one of my skins, and everything worked out fine.

I uploaded a new skin file and the screenshots. Everything updated.

You might give yours a try, you have nothing to lose.
Old 28th March 2006, 07:57   #28
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Quote:
Originally posted by TheElusiveMelon
Yeah i had the same problem with my Dante XXI skin i think. I know its a tough job though, so dont worry too much
Yes, but it was the easiest way to do it :P

Old 28th March 2006, 22:59   #29
TheElusiveMelon

Well, i meant that i updated the pictures on my skin and nothing happened, but Wally, you said it worked fine on your skin? Damn
TheElusiveMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 07:26   #30
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

text worked fine, but pictures not on mac os x panther update!

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins