Old 28th July 2006, 18:47   #1
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

If I were to start a shoutcast video consulting service,

What would you think customers would want? I know I would have to offer some form of hosting deals, help encoding content, and the like, but what else?

Originally posted by yeshuawatso :
...get Nullsoft to [accept] new moderators? ... election? ... If Inedible Bulk is the candidate, then I give my vote.
Inedible Bulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 18:54   #2
Nick@ss

service without being abused..
spoon fed..
free bandwidth

lol sorry bulk couldnt resist...

on a serious note,,,
information covering as many different softwares and solutions as possible.

maybe create a manual to include in the price of the service that you can send out.
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 21:36   #3
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

if you're paying i have no problem spoon feeding you because i plan on doing that work myself

...get Nullsoft to [accept] new moderators? ... election? ... If Inedible Bulk is the candidate, then I give my vote.
Old 28th July 2006, 21:40   #4
Elliott Hird

I'd certainly pay for help configuring stuff.

And, of course, hosting. Since I'm looking for some NSV shoutcast hosting. Blah.
Elliott Hird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 22:52   #5
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Elliott Hird
I'd certainly pay for help configuring stuff.

And, of course, hosting. Since I'm looking for some NSV shoutcast hosting. Blah.
I currently don't have set prices, but I would have hosting and then managed hosting where I actually pay attention to people having problems with it and fixing it and shit

if you look around ususally 128kbit slots cost 2.50 to 3 a month each, but i think i could maybe match that (for managed) if i had enough customers to afford good bulk bandwidth on a server (edit: and maybe i could partner with people like nick@ss lol)

what kinda stuff would you be interested in

Old 29th July 2006, 03:16   #6
hhb

Bulk, when I started learning a bit about NSV back in January, for the first two months, would have happily paid an hourly rate for consulting (more like tutoring actually) from someone who knows the score with NSV. Would have saved a bunch of time and also, today, probably wouldn't have the holes that remain in my NSV knowledge bank.

Hourly rates for web work can be pretty good -- web page design, on the low end, goes for $40-80/hr. Server sys admin consulting, low end, around $80, which isn't chicken feed, in my book. Am always glad to "consult" for those amounts, and as said, would have cheerfully paid for NSV coaching at first.

hhb
hhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 03:49   #7
Smelter
Major Dude

fly me in , lemme buy the hard ware, and I can set up a full proof turn it on and go, any time. =)
Smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 12:58   #8
hhb

Thanks, Smelter. Am pretty much all set up by now for live wireless output with the NSV, but as mentioned, still have huge gaps, especially in the codec/card areas, and not just specifically with regard to NSV, but in general. Too many things I don't understand about those parts yet. For example, would enjoy trying out your software, but haven't a clue yet about how to use it with this setup!

When I said "Am always glad to consult for those amounts" -- meant that when clients consult about web design/web programming/server sys admin stuff, am satisfied with the compensation. Hoping Bulk can benefit from a feature like that in his evolving business setup.

hhb
hhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 13:29   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Inedible Bulk
if you look around ususally 128kbit slots cost 2.50 to 3 a month each
Or if you know what you are doing you can buy that for about 12 cents.

I think the existing hosting companies are going to be "hurtin for certain" with as cheap as bandwidth is getting.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 17:55   #10
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Or if you know what you are doing you can buy that for about 12 cents.

I think the existing hosting companies are going to be "hurtin for certain" with as cheap as bandwidth is getting.
last time i looked was about a year or so ago, and the cheapest bandwidth is (per bit and actual cost) is probably Server Beach giving 2000gigabytes of transfer for about $109 a month, sometimes $99 if you are lucky. that could hold about 49 users at 128

(2 000 (gigabytes / month)) / (128 (kilobits / second)) = 49.8421171

109 / 49 = 2.2244898

Still a little over $2 a slot.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast TV / Nullsoft Video