Old 4th October 2006, 20:21   #1
VideoPlanner

Intro files not possible with NSV?

Streamsolutions told me "Again this is not possible with nsv." They also told me to ask in the forums and ask you Sankt =)

I find it hard to belive that intro files are not possible with NSV? I mean I see streams like that all the time, on winamps built in directory, that has intro files - which plays before the stream starts. (And the stream can be anywhere in play, different each time I connect, but the intro always plays from start to finish.)

So, how is this achived? I really been trying forever to dig out the news on this.

On some streams, also, it seems like the whole stream restarts just for ME each time I connect to it. I take it these streams are not conventional NSV streams? How are they possible anyway?

Please clue me in on these 2!

Really aprichiate all your support. It's going down into my "handbook for the nsv newbie" =)
VideoPlanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 20:32   #2
B0b

RTFM!
B0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 20:46   #3
VideoPlanner

Yes yes, if you'd show me tfm!

I read that ICEcast *does* support intro files, but I've searched this forum inside out trying to find if/how you do it with NSV.

The nullsoft team wrote that if I were to use anything other than their software, they'd BAN me from their listings. So I'm kinda afraid to use Icecast, seing how it's not nullsofts =/

I take it this is the only way to do intro files, eh?
Old 4th October 2006, 20:59   #4
B0b

http://www.shoutcast.com/download/serve.phtml#scconfig

IntroFile: [Optional] If defined, the server will send this file as-is to the listener before joining them with the content stream.
Old 4th October 2006, 21:03   #5
Nick@ss

just clarify.. im not going to say nsv intros are impossible but not suppoted by us.

if anyone has more info then please post on
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 21:16   #6
VideoPlanner

Bob, but it also says: "CAUTION: This file MUST be in MP3 format"... I take it this works for NSV just as good, allthough the warning and allthough that guide is all about normal mp3 shoutcasting, and not nsv? That option is not even listed in the dos promt when I run the nsvscsrc.exe with a "/?" ...?

Also now streamsolutions say they don't support it, regardless if above is correct or not (someone please clue me in) =(

But streamsolutions =) Is there no way you could add support for this, then?
Old 4th October 2006, 21:22   #7
Nick@ss

i have passed it to the dev team but will offer no timescales as it is so unsupported

also no disrespect intended but could be a potential support nightmare if we were to add such a product as encoding nsv is quite a job with peoples basic understanding of the unsupported tools available.
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 21:24   #8
B0b

I'm not going to reply here anymore. Even I get tired of stating the obvious.
Old 4th October 2006, 23:03   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by nick@ss
just clarify.. im not going to say nsv intros are impossible but not suppoted by us.

if anyone has more info then please post on
My experience is that it's head turns around and throws up pea soup if you use an NSV intro file.

If you try it, you might be able to figure out how to make it work..... But you are going to need an exactly prepared intro file and maybe you got a shot.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 05:39   #10
hhb

intro file with nsv

Commentary by posters here helped get an intro for nsv going just fine here. In this case, the nsv is live video/audio (320 x 240/25 FPS/VP6.1/250 KBS - 32 KBS Raw ACC), with the intro file's video/audio encoded exactly the same as the live.

Transition from intro file to live video initially wasn't so smooth -- artifacts, etc. Advice from here fixed that too -- more keyframes in the live video did the trick.

In my small experience with it, choices of video/audio formats don't matter for NSV as long as they are exactly the same in both intro and nsv content. Intros work well -- hope this helps.

hhb

Last edited by hhb; 6th October 2006 at 06:00.
hhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2006, 16:28   #11
slavas
Major Dude

more keyframes reduces compression effiency
slavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 09:17   #12
rockouthippie
Banned

Re: intro file with nsv

Quote:
Originally posted by hhb
Advice from here fixed that too -- more keyframes in the live video did the trick.
hhb
Slavas had a cutter.... where I don't know any more..... If you cut the intro video a frame before the last keyframe, it might work too. Or make your intro source video length exactly a multiple of the key interval, so that the NSV encoder sticks keyframes in the right place.

All experimental, but where I would start. A lot of keyframes will suck up a lot of bandwidth.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 12:18   #13
slavas
Major Dude

no cutter wont help here
slavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast TV / Nullsoft Video