Old 16th June 2003, 05:51   #1
geotone

Help Testing New Skin?

After months of on and off work, I have just finished implimenting the last big features of my new skin. The only problem is that the repeated starts and stops in my coding has resulted in some pretty messy scripts. I am not sure exactly how stable the skin is, and was wondering if you guys could give 'er a little test drive, and report back on how well it is working. I am getting some very occational string overflow crashes on skin unloading, but I haven't been able to reliably repeat the error, and therefore cannot debug it.

Comments on functionality, aestetics, usability, and such are very welcome too!

Mike McCaffrey

Artzar_0-7-4.wal
geotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 08:15   #2
RLF
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to RLF
awesome skin man, but I hate how it fades, that's veeery annoying.

http://ryan-gfx.deviantart.com - gallery
RLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 08:49   #3
matt_69
Sunshine
(Major Dude)

/me REALLY likes
i love all the paintings that u have included in with the slide show, quite nice. i like the button idea how they fade in and out, makes it very clean. this is prolly goin to be my new default skin for quite sum time.

m*69

matt_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 19:01   #4
geotone

Well if the fading buttons are not to your liking, there is the option to disable this feature in the player options popup menu.

I suppose that it is not immediatly apparent that you can do this. Does anyone have any idea of how I can make it more noticable? Perhaps I should just include a comment about it in the description of the skin when I post it.

There is nothing worse than having people trash your skin's ratings because they say it doesn't have a feature that it actually does or vice versa. That is one reason I posted it for review here, so that I can anticipate these misperceptions...

Mike
Old 16th June 2003, 19:37   #5
amitverma_in

nice functional skin geotone...
but i would say that good coding must be used in a skin that can match it in gfx....coz honestly...the gfx are quite ordinary
but still an excellent effort!
amitverma_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 20:08   #6
amitverma_in

nice functional skin geotone...
but i would say that good coding must be used in a skin that can match it in gfx....coz honestly...the gfx are quite ordinary
but still an excellent effort!
Old 16th June 2003, 20:14   #7
amitverma_in

sorry to repeat the post
the browser got hung up and i pressed refresh so it gave this thread a new reply.
sorry 'bout that
Old 16th June 2003, 22:29   #8
dodger758

Send a message via AIM to dodger758
pretty cool, it's pretty awesome how the song time is in the position bar and moves along with it. the fade in/out on mouseover is cool too. really good options, but the button isn't completely obvious as to what it does, then again the mysterious 'CFG' button on MMD3 is quite ambigious until clicked. what if, instead of having the buttons fade out completely, they just fade out for the most part. because when you have the skin up, you want to see the button your going to click on before you get there, having to mouse over the window, and then see where it is kinda slows ya down, but that feature can be turned off which is good.

i just noticed that you can't change the function of the timer (switch between time elapsed and time left), not that that really bothers me, but it might for other people out there. and now i just noticed that if your right click on it, it does switch, so you should make a note with that too.

i'm not sure exactly what artzar is, but if you are really good with coding, it would be neat if you could get the skin to update the pictures that it shows. i've seen it done before. when the skin starts, it checks a site for updates, downloads the new images, and plays em, ya know? i think it was on 'Invicta', when started it would search for new versions of itself, so i think you should check that out.

it's pretty cool though. is it gonna be an official skin?
dodger758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2003, 22:04   #9
carlosp
Major Dude

The skin is ammazing. I can´t find the right worths to say how good the skin is. Just work on the fade in and fade out functions. They have to be overworked because they are not good enough!
carlosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2003, 22:30   #10
geotone

Thanks for the comment carlosp! I just have a couple of questions...

In what way are the fade functions not good enough? How would you improve them? Are you suffering from performance issues on a slower computer?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 17th June 2003, 22:50   #11
dodger758

hey man, what about my post? haha
Old 18th June 2003, 03:23   #12
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
/me wants a screenie first
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 03:27   #13
dodger758

oyea...i was gonna mention that..but ya know what? i'm bored right now, waiting for winamp to approve my skin and put it up on winamp.com, so i'll take a few screenshots of the beta version and toss em up here for my good friend geotone! haha, allow me to go take screenshots...be back soon
Old 18th June 2003, 03:44   #14
dodger758

SCREENSHOT

here ya go geotone, i made a screenshot without your permission haha

this is a screenshot of the current Artzar Winamp3 skin by geotone:
Attached Images
File Type: gif artzar.gif (75.9 KB, 182 views)
Old 20th June 2003, 04:06   #15
geotone

I have made a bunch of little changes to the skin. I would still appreciate some stability testing if you would like to help out. The new file is:

Artzar_0-8-3

The description that will be posted with the skin:

This is the official skin of Artzar.com. It showcases our best visual art with a slideshow of 27 images taken from 15 different galleries. Components are fully skinned, and feature graphics adopted from the landscape paintings of Barbra Fuoco. Controls and titles hide when your mouse is elsewhere to create a clean look (can be disabled in options menu). Enjoy a random progression of images (also configurable in the options menu), or choose your favorite by right clicking in the slideshow area. Double click on an image to launch the Artzar gallery from which it was taken. If you want a Winamp experience that looks as appealing and artistic as your music sounds, you will enjoy this skin.

The screenshot is attached...

Thanks!!

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artzar.jpg (35.6 KB, 144 views)
Old 20th June 2003, 04:57   #16
e-raser
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to e-raser Send a message via AIM to e-raser
this is a great idea and continuation of Xerxes media whore concept. i like the design and layout, nice work
e-raser is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins