Old 20th November 2013, 19:10   #1
Irbidan

RIP Winamp?

Hello all,

This is bad. I just read that it will be away on 20th December. What could be the alternative to Winamp for Windows? AIMP? iTunes?

Thanks...
Irbidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:20   #2
Xaser

Yes, Winamp's time has finally come... very sad, however not unexpected.

For me, there will be no alternative to Winamp that soon, other Media Players still lack Winamp's outstanding mix of Media Library Support, File Format & Plugin Support and Resource efficiency.

The way I see it, there are only two ways for winamp to live on:

- Maybe the project can be saved using Crowdfunding.
- The Community continues development by themselves, if the code is made open source (rather unlikely) or an open-source clone project will come to life (that would include the chance of creating a new Winamp on "modern" code).

So far I can only say: Thank you Winamp for beeing the best Media Player out there and may you RIP.
Xaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:29   #3
savewinamp

Oh my god, i hope something can still be done to avoid this.

Either crowdfunding or maybe it can go on open source ? That would even be more awesome.
savewinamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:37   #4
GrantZ

This really sucks

Thank you to all the devs who've worked on Winamp all these years. Winamp will still be my favorite music player, probably for years to come.
GrantZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:40   #5
ant

Please open source Winamp!

Let other people take over. We can't let Winamp die!

--Ant @ Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx).
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:41   #6
kronflux

This really needs to go open-source, so that winamp can live on, and become even more epic by community updating.
winamp is, and hopefully always will be the best music player in existence!
kronflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:44   #7
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Nooooo!!!!!!......

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:45   #8
InCUbuS-94

What about the forum? Will be shut down as well? It's full of interesting stuff (I haven't finished the million count yet!)?

It cannot rain forever
InCUbuS-94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:47   #9
plucky

oh noes!

After 15+ years of running Winamp, starting somewhere around v1.55, I'll be sad to see my audio player of choice going away.

While I'm sure there are other players that will fill the void, NOT having to find something for over a decade was such a nice thing indeed. One of the very few 'constants' in my PC experience. Well, we can keep running it until it doesn't at least!

Goodbye Winamp!
plucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:54   #10
DrO

i see people are looking for alternatives, but the last i checked, v5.66 (which has seen a hell of a lot of internal fixing) will still happily run and if there's issues down the line (most likely from the online service / gracenote aspects), things can be removed / not installed just like has always been the case.

plus there's nothing stopping 3rd party plug-ins being created to replace / fill in functional gaps as has been the case in the past and can still be for the future (having done the exact thing i'm mentioning during the last time development halted in 2004).

as i know i'm going to still keep working on / developing plug-ins as time allows.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 20:03   #11
cengizhan

Winamp was my first mp3 player. it was very young and little those days. even mp3 files were hard to find. it seems that it has grown old with me. i am sorry to heard that winamp is dead
cengizhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 20:06   #12
specy

I see that this site will be closed as well - what will happen to the plug-ins download section? Because there are many (dozens, probably hundreds) of players, radio automation programs etc. out there that support Winamp plugins and most just refer you to this site to download them...

I don't have time to pick this one up but I hope someone will? (And if possible before this site closes and all the data is lost!)

specy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 20:17   #13
saarth

Was waiting quite eagerly for 5.7 to go stable. The synced playlists were really handy. This is sad.
Thanks for all the Llamas devs....
saarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 20:18   #14
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
This is SO sad. I'm using Winamp since 17 years. I really must say I'm shocked...

I hope the devs have copies of the codebase and maybe will some time have the opportunity to continue development (at least, bugfixing), maybe by crowdfunding?

This can't just "DIE" leaving AOL with the codebase and it going away to nirvana!!

kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 20:43   #15
albundyhere

Say it aint so! no more winamp.com

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/20/winamp-shutting-down

say it aint so! it cant be true! i've been using winamp for like 20 years! at least make it open source for the community! there are too many people using it and enjoying it!
albundyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 20:45   #16
TrexRadio

Send a message via ICQ to TrexRadio Send a message via Yahoo to TrexRadio
If winamp is shutting down, How can people still get the MP3 licensing key? As the Winamp Pro Store is no longer available. Will this not be possible to do? Will future people be only allowed to play in AAC+ format?

Oh the questions and agonies of when something has to be put to rest. Sad days on the internet.

(What will the Llamas do????)

CEO - DJ Fire
CrossFire-Radio
TrexRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 20:50   #17
MarkRH

Hmmm.. this sucks donkey crap. Well, I won't stop using it. I still use an HTML code editor that was sold between numerous companies and then the plug was pulled on it almost a decade ago and had to do some magic to get it to run in Windows 7.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:01   #18
goebish

That's a very bad news, I feel just like if I lost an good old friend
goebish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:04   #19
JonnyMac

Thanks to all the developers and other contributors (testers, translators, forum moderators & members, and so on...).

AOL's/Nullsoft's contribution to Winamp may have ended, however I do not think the Winamp era will end too soon. Winamp is still and will be my number one choice for a media player.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:04   #20
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
All I can say is what the fuck.

This also brings a question to mind...what about ShoutCast and Nullsoft TV? If the sites go down, so does the entire forum section for those two...

SugarD-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:05   #21
ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronflux View Post
This really needs to go open-source, so that winamp can live on, and become even more epic by community updating.
winamp is, and hopefully always will be the best music player in existence!
Yes, open source it please. Don't let this software die! Just give us Winamp source code. We can make our own plugins if needed.

--Ant @ Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx).
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:09   #22
DrO

ant: you can already make your own plug-ins without needing Winamp source code...
Old 20th November 2013, 21:10   #23
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarD-x View Post
and Nullsoft TV?
it was already removed a month ago.
Old 20th November 2013, 21:10   #24
Edward256

This sure is sad for all. I think saddest would be that I can't download all the plugins on this site in one gulp! I tried using wget straight onto download.nullsoft.com but that didn't seem to recurs properly, something about a robot.txt file. Any chance of this being removed for these last few days? Or at least packing them all into a "Download Everything".zip?

Then again, Open Sourced Winamp would be a good idea as well.

Also, I installed 5.66 but when I tried to run it it didn't appear at all.

/Edward
Edward256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:14   #25
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward256 View Post
Also, I installed 5.66 but when I tried to run it it didn't appear at all.
run it in safe mode to see if that helps (either via the shortcut in the start menu or append /SAFE=1 onto the winamp.exe shortcut), if so then you'll need to post an info report http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins (as i know a few of my plug-ins may cause issues - which i'm now starting to update).

and a lot of the plug-ins on the main site don't even work properly on current Windows / Winamp releases (as they've been dead for a long time).
Old 20th November 2013, 21:18   #26
viper82

AOL should free winamp code

This would really whips the llama's Ass !

http://www.change.org/petitions/aol-...ftware-license
viper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:23   #27
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Irbidan, for more "official" / professional info, maybe you should add this link to your first post: Ars Technica article
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:23   #28
psiclone

Omg!

I literally just purchased Winamp, yesterday! WTF? Now I see that it's dead as of next month? What does this mean for me? What am I losing?
psiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:25   #29
SugarD-x

Send a message via ICQ to SugarD-x Send a message via AIM to SugarD-x Send a message via MSN to SugarD-x Send a message via Yahoo to SugarD-x Send a message via Skype™ to SugarD-x
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it was already removed a month ago.
Now I'm fucking pissed...

We need to gather the masses and find a support place to call our own fast. If AOL wants to dump us, at least we can survive without them. They may not release any more updates, but that doesn't mean we can't support one another.

Old 20th November 2013, 21:26   #30
/usr/bin/Tux

Die AOL die.

Winamp user since v1.something.
/usr/bin/Tux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:29   #31
DrO

SugarD-x: SC TV had been on it's death bed for years (tool development stopped what 2004/5 iirc). there were 80 to 90 listings at most with at most 500 listeners at peak times over all of them (and a lot less most of the time) and it had drastically waned in usage since the start of this year.

and there's now nothing stopping people relatively easily now adding custom online services into Winamp 5.66 (which i was quite glad to get implemented at last).
Old 20th November 2013, 21:31   #32
SugarD-x

Quote:
SugarD-x: SC TV had been on it's death bed for years (tool development stopped what 2004/5 iirc). there were 80 to 90 listings at most with at most 500 listeners at peak times over all of them (and a lot less most of the time) and it had drastically waned in usage since the start of this year.

and there's now nothing stopping people relatively easily now adding custom online services into Winamp 5.66 (which i was quite glad to get implemented at last).
I don't mean SC TV specifically, but I understand what you mean there. It was more pointed at SC and Winamp support themselves.

Old 20th November 2013, 21:38   #33
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiclone View Post
I literally just purchased Winamp, yesterday! WTF? Now I see that it's dead as of next month? What does this mean for me? What am I losing?
EPIC FAIL

=)

Sorry, take it with humor, I had one today too.

Don´t worry, what you purchased is well invested, and what you´ve got was not going to be much better in the future months / years..
Old 20th November 2013, 22:02   #34
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Something useful to do would be to download most skins and plugins available here to re-upload somewhere else.. http://www.1001skins.com is in development as I last asked (yesterday!). There should be already a great base of skins in there, but I don´t think they are all.

About Plugins (the future of Winamp?) there aren´t any site like that that I know..
Old 20th November 2013, 22:03   #35
smorrissey

iTunes cant play FLACS, but while winamp works on your pc you dont have to worry.
smorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 22:08   #36
PPNSteve

WOW, Just wow!

I'm so not liking this at all.
Who's bright idea was it to kill the #1 media player anyways?

I guess its true.. greed will kill the internet.
PPNSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 22:09   #37
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
About Plugins (the future of Winamp?) there aren´t any site like that that I know..
not currently...
Old 20th November 2013, 22:18   #38
Edward256

Quote:
run it in safe mode to see if that helps (either via the shortcut in the start menu or append /SAFE=1 onto the winamp.exe shortcut), if so then you'll need to post an info report http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins (as i know a few of my plug-ins may cause issues - which i'm now starting to update).

and a lot of the plug-ins on the main site don't even work properly on current Windows / Winamp releases (as they've been dead for a long time).
Ok. I tried with safe mode and I got to the initial "first time setup" where I chose my skin, associations and features, then it said Starting Winamp and died.

Oh, just read some more around the forum. Chipamp was the culprit here. Lucky I still had the uninstall program because there was no single in_chipamp.

Well, anyways, about the whole "Download All Plugins", I suppose alot are old and deprecate, but what about all visuals? Surely AVS/Milkdrop are backwards compatible?

/Edward
Edward256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 22:23   #39
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward256 View Post
Oh, just read some more around the forum. Chipamp was the culprit here. Lucky I still had the uninstall program because there was no single in_chipamp.
would be good to know which plug-in specifically is causing it.
Old 20th November 2013, 22:26   #40
rvrbnk

If AOL doesn't continue to support this forum, JRiver might be able to do so.

If anyone from AOL is reading, I'd be grateful to discuss how we can help your users.

Thanks.

Jim Hillegass
JRiver
jimh at jriver
rvrbnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion