Old 5th January 2005, 12:27   #1
cdechery

Send a message via ICQ to cdechery
Winamp simply quits playing and won't play again

Recently Winamp started to simply quit playing and won't play again no matter what I do. I have to reboot.

In the middle of a song (it can be MP3 or an audio CD) it simply stops and won't play anything anymore. Sometimes I close it, then kill the remaining (which is weird in itself, how can there be a winamp.exe process if I've already shut the application off?) process in the Task Manager, start it again, and it comes back to life, but sometimes (like now) even that won't work, only a boot will make Winamp do its job again.

I have already upgraded to 5.08, the problem persists. I'm not exactly sure, but I think this started when I upgraded to Windows Media Player 9. But Winamp already was and still is my default media player (unless of course, for WM* types).

Any clues?
cdechery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 16:18   #2
StormyWaters

Send a message via AIM to StormyWaters
I'm getting a similar problem.. I start up winamp and it freezes explorere.exe. I can still use all my programs I have open, but explorer just freezes. Winamp will open up my media library and I click on the files, it opens it, but does not play it. I am sure that I have all the correct codecs and I'm sure the mp3's are not corrupt or damaged. This all started when I re-formatted my HDD. I've recently installed more ram and a new video card, but I don't see how this could have anything to do with winamp. Every version of winamp does this for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.
StormyWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 18:54   #3
The_Mega_ZZTer

Send a message via AIM to The_Mega_ZZTer Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mega_ZZTer
How closely do your problems coinside with my description of mine? Maybe we've all found a bug.
The_Mega_ZZTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 22:39   #4
The_Mega_ZZTer

Send a message via AIM to The_Mega_ZZTer Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mega_ZZTer
Do you use AMIP? Try renaming the gen_irc.dll file in winamp plugins to some other file type so winamp doesn't load it. That was the source of my problem.
The_Mega_ZZTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 23:16   #5
JonnyMac

@ cdechery & StormyWaters

We can't offer much help without system specs. Please read the Stickies...

Sticky: Troubleshooters; Common Issues; Clean Install Instructions; READ THIS FIRST!!!

Possibly related issues from the Common Issues section of the Troubleshooters Sticky...

Plays mp3's for a few seconds, then stops (mp3university.com spyware related)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=180475

Audioscrobbler plugin crashes Winamp under WinXP SP2 (user32.dll):
Search | Get fixed v1.18 here

Limited Multi-User account issues

Try the DirectSound config tweaks. That is another link (No sound, skippy/choppy/crackly playback, high VM usage, etc.) from the Troubleshooters Sticky

There are other crash & freeze tips/fixes in the Troubleshooters Sticky.

@ The_Mega_ZZTer
Congratulations on getting your issue resolved and thank you for posting your solution.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2005, 02:34   #6
mist42nz

I was having a similiar problem.
I have done a clean install as described elsewhere.
That worked well until a few movies/files later and then the play wouldn't play, the taskbar wouldn't pop-up and had to close winamp.exe using c-a-del.

running win2k.

What I have done to clear it is remove a group of files in the C:\program files\internet explorer\plugins directory that are rp*.dll and something called "Rich Player" which also was in that directory.

I don't know if it has any side effects on IE(5.5) yet or if it'll respawn but that's got me going again.

Best of Luck,
mist
mist42nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support