Old 1st March 2012, 02:28   #1
dave647

Playing *.m4b file in winamp media player

I have a *.m4b file which came from iTunes. It has a lot of chapters of 2 to 3 minutes long each. So, I'm wondering how can I switch to a particular chapter while it is playing that file? Do I need to get some kind of plugin?
dave647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 16:39   #2
Deffervescence

Dave;

As I've gathered from some other folks here in the Tech Forums, a lot of Apple DL formats, either audio or video are often proprietary, DRMed, and often playable only in iTunes if that's the service through which you obtained them.

Still, that you can actually play it in Winamp (I'm assuming an M4B is an Apple audiobook format? (B) for (Book) instead of (A) for M4A music files) is probably a good thing. I have a feeling that Winamp would require a plugin that would allow you to chapter-skip in what would functionally be a non-Winamp-native format, as the format you've described (and being a Apple/iTunes format, no offense meant) sounds moderately exotic. I suspect that even if a plugin doesn't current exist (try search strings like 'winamp plugin m4b' or 'winamp plugin m4b itunes' in Google, if nothing seems to be coming up here on Winamp's plugin site) the fact that your file can actually be played (as opposed to not being recognized) in Winamp means that a body could come up with a plugin to do what you've suggested. I have very little use for iTunes, so I don't really know enough about the format you've described to know where to start working it out, sorry.

Anyway, my best suggestion is to Search through the plugins here on Winamp's main page, and failing that, Google the search strings I've mentioned and see if a body might have come up with something. The fact that Winamp does recognize your M4B as a playable audio file gives me a lot more hope that your problem has a straightforward solution.

Hope this helps!

-Deff.
Deffervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 13:55   #3
ZeldaBoy

It's easy just go to Options > Preferences > Input > Nullsoft MP4 Demuxer > Add M4B in the list.

I couldn't find the answer either after diligent searching (the first 10 results of google anyway I was just using VLC to play them... this way is nicer tho'.

***edit***
That will just get the files playing... d'oh. I don't have any M4B's with chapters so I dunno...
ZeldaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 01:37   #4
aviralmsharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaBoy View Post
It's easy just go to Options > Preferences > Input > Nullsoft MP4 Demuxer > Add M4B in the list.

I couldn't find the answer either after diligent searching (the first 10 results of google anyway I was just using VLC to play them... this way is nicer tho'.

***edit***
That will just get the files playing... d'oh. I don't have any M4B's with chapters so I dunno...
--

That worked perfectly! Thanks

Winamp v5.666 Build 3516 (x86)
aviralmsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
m4b