Old 9th September 2020, 07:08   #1
BrotherEstapol

Stereo from Rear speakers? (v5.666)

Hello!

I'm trying to get Winamp to play stereo audio files through both the front and rear speakers of my 5.1/6 channel setup.

I could have sworn it was doing this previously as I remember that it was working for Winamp, but not for anything out of Chrome(YouTube in particular), and I suspect it broke after a Windows 10 update recently, but I can't find how to enable it again!

The speakers definitely work, as they play 5.1 on video files via VLC no problem.

I've ticked the "Allow Surround sound" box under "Preferences>Playback", and I've tried both with and without hardware acceleration under Direct Sound Output, but no luck.

The speakers in question are using 3.5mm jacks, and the audio driver software is Realtek HD Audio Manager 6.0.1.7614, which is the latest from the motherboard manufacturer.

Am I missing something? Is this possible with stock Winamp, or am I mis-remembering and this actually needs a plugin? (everything I find in my google and forum searches says plugin)

Any help/insight is appreciated!
BrotherEstapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2020, 23:52   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

If you just want to get sound from all of your speakers you can use a feature supported by the Windows 10 OS that will send sound to all of your speakers for all of your apps that generate sound.

To use this feature, open the Sound Control Panel. Select the speakers you're using and click on the Properties button on the bottom right. Then select the Enhancements panel in the Speakers Properties panel that opens. Make sure the "Disable all sound effects" box is not selected and the "Immediate mode" box is. Then scroll thru the options in the box below these 2 boxes and select the "Speaker Fill" option. Finally use the OK buttons to close all of these panels.

There is also an output plug-in (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win...mixer_0_9_146/) that works only with Winamp. It allows you to select which of your stereo channels from your source files, and how much of them, is sent to the 6 channels in your 5.1 speaker system. Select and configure this plug-in as the Winamp output plug-in. It takes the stereo input from the source files, redirects it to the configured output channels (up to 6), and sends this redirected output to another select-able Winamp output plug-in (e.g. DirectSound) for the final output to your speakers.

This plug-in is discussed elsewhere in these forums, but you can always post any questions you may have in this thread.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support