2 Years Today With No Update For Winamp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbelkner
    • Jun 2010

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
    But it's many features are addictive, once you start using them.
    I suspect that it strongly depends on the way you are using WA. I prefer to use WA for playing music in the background. I start it and than it shuffles through the music for hours (avoiding always playing the same song thanks to gen-yas ) without touching it. There's simply no need for something like JTFE.

I assume that people feeling that WA without JTFE is a huge loss are sitting constantly in front of their PC, start to listen to one song, soon jumping to another one, oh no that third one is the one ... (i.e. simply wasting their time).
    Winamp v5.666 Build 3516 (x86) + in_ffsox + out_yasapi + gen_yas

Comment

• Aminifu
      Forum King
      • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by talon1212 View Post
      yeah that always bothered me about winamp, I increased the morph rate ages ago, but still has a clear preference for the same songs in huge playlists.

That's true, which is why I don't use shuffle.

When I want to mix up a playlist, I click on the "Randomize list" PE sort context menu command or use the shortcut keys (Ctrl+Shift+R) 4 or 5 times in a row to rearrange the listing. I also use the "Playlist Undo" plug-in (http://winampplugins.co.uk/plu.html) which lets me return to the original playback order if I want to.
      Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
      Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• Aminifu
        Forum King
        • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by pbelkner View Post

I assume that people feeling that WA without JTFE is a huge loss are sitting constantly in front of their PC, start to listen to one song, soon jumping to another one, oh no that third one is the one ... (i.e. simply wasting their time).
        That could describe some people, but not me.

When just listening to music, I generally just load a playlist or two (or a customized smartview listing) and let them play. Sometimes I just want a general mix of things, sometimes music from a particular decade (or year), sometimes a particular genre, etc.

When making playlists and otherwise managing my music collection, I've come to find the features of JTFE to be a great help (and time saver).

Yes, it all depends on how a person uses their computer and apps. There is no one way that suits everyone. This is why I love Winamp. It's native options, along with 3rd party plug-ins, allows for a great deal of variation.

Comment

• pbelkner
          • Jun 2010

When making playlists and otherwise managing my music collection
          Possibly you make playlists because you need them professionally (or semi-professionally). In that case it is, of course, part of the creative process.

But I suspect that there's no need for the majority of people to permanently make playlists.

Comment

• Aminifu
            Forum King
            • Aug 2011

Possibly you make playlists because you need them professionally (or semi-professionally). In that case it is, of course, part of the creative process.

No (although I was a professional radio DJ many years ago), I just prefer things in some sort of definable order instead of 1 big jumbled pile.

Comment

• pbelkner
              • Jun 2010

I just prefer things in some sort of definable order instead of 1 big jumbled pile.
              Anyway, I doubt that this is representative for the majority of people, and hence it is no counter argument

Comment

• Aminifu
                Forum King
                • Aug 2011

Anyway, I doubt that this is representative for the majority of people, and hence it is no counter argument
                I don't know what is representative for the majority and tbh I don't care. In the past couple of days, you and some others have expressed no need for JTFE-like features. I and some others have expressed a desire for them. I just know that I will miss them if they are no longer available.

Comment

• rjc862003
                  • Sep 2006

if you really need JTFE like support use AIMP4
                  I am sorry but at this stage AIMP4 does everything winamp used to do(yes everything plugins skins,media library the whole #!shebang and is under active development with monthly releases winamp is not

its not looking good with radionomy about to get the pants sued off them fking idiots

edit: forum software can't even scale a image correctly
                  =/ its been real winamp

[Edit > Koopa]No it doesn't, but you can simply attach the image, like I did for you now.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Aminifu
                    Forum King
                    • Aug 2011

AMIP has become a worthy competitor, imo. It has copied many of Winamp's best features and added some of it's own. It's even able to run some of the plug-ins written for Winamp.

Comment

• Tohno_Neil
                      • Aug 2013

Please don't forget the CUE Player.
                      Do you have a great idea about Winamp? Let us know and maybe your features will be in the next release!
                      winamp整合贴 (保持最新?chinese)

List of Winamp Input Plug-Ins (Lossless audio codecs)

Comment

• pbelkner
                        • Jun 2010

AMIP has become a worthy competitor
                        Is it able to play videos?

Comment

• MrSinatra
                          Forum King
                          • Dec 2004

Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
                          And this is fact for the majority of users because you said so?
                          yep, thats right, you got it.

seriously, be realistic. how many users even know JTFE exists? you think its the majority?

it isn't, not even close.

Without JTFE Winamp lacks:

- a Playlist queue feature
                          - a skinnable jump to file window
                          - ability to queue files from the jump to file window
                          - icon library support (the 2.x based playlist/file icon support in Winamp sucks ass)
                          - customizable shell options
                          - highlighting of missing files
                          i agree, and that sucks, esp for those few in the minority who use it. imo, winamp made a brutal mistake when it allowed an employee to insert 3rd party code as part of the standard distribution, but without owning rights to said code. but its water under the bridge now.

as i said, they should put a basic JTFE starter in (one they code and own rights to) and then build it over time over new releases. that allows new releases to get out there!

just fyi, i'm not a big user of it, but i recently discovered via another thread it could do some things i would like. but what sucks even worse than not having JTFE, or having a lesser ver of it, is not having a new winamp at all b/c of that. i don't believe that argument holds water, JTFE should not hold up releasing a new winamp.

for me all of the above things are essential
                          Ditto, and the same for the other stuff it provides!
                          so what? and i don't mean that like a dick, i mean like so what if you and Aminifu and the other small minority of users who care about this feel you need it? that should determine if the beta / new release can come out or not??? nonsense!

let me put it another way, you could:

1. stick with winamp 5.666 as it is now and be fine.

2. possibly port the JTFE plugin from 5.666 to a new release, (which may or may not work, tbd)

3. use the new release with its stripped down JTFE and comment on what features should be cloned to it next.

...meanwhile the rest of the winamp user universe can have the new version they desperately want.

to me, this is all painfully obvious.

to respond to what Egg said earlier: i don't think burning matters AT ALL, (ripping does, but burning? no.) i don't think JTFE matters, (insofar as putting out the next release; i do agree it should be cloned back in over time). i DO think art and metadata matter, and i would urge them to complete those two things before the next release.

jmho Koopa, feel free to ignore.
                          PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
                          --
                          BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
                          Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
                          Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• Koopa
                            16-Bit Moderator
                            • Apr 2004

So can you show me the statistics, that people who use it are the minority?
                            Or a statistic which shows that you are the people voice?

Anything you say is right, what others say is wrong. Was always the case. And this is the big problem you have.

There was also a statistic that people don't use skins at all, so we probably have more skins available in the web than users.

I'm sure, if they release Winamp, which lacks lot of the 5.666 features people will complain about it.

You don't need these features, I do. But the big difference is, I don't say that neither you, nor me a re the majority.
                            My Winamp Info Report | My Winamp Backup Log | My WACUP Info Report

Own Projects: | Winamp Tray Control Icon Pack v3.5.3 | Winamp Backup Tool v3.6.0 | >> Winamp Info Tool v6.1.0 << |
                            German Translations: | Offizielle Deutsche Winamp Sprachdatei v5.66 | Offizielle Deutsche Winamp Sprachdatei Plus Version 5.666
                            Useful Winamp Plug-ins: | SNESAmp | 64th Note | NotSo FatSo | Highly Experimental PSF Player | Yar Matey! Playlist Copier v1.12 |

Comment

• talon1212
                              • Jan 2016

Each time a song is played it is dropped from the list of songs remaining to be played. This strategy effectively avoids "always listening to the same song".

The songs from a playlist already played (or not played so far, to be correct) is made persistent between invocations of Winamp.

The percentage of songs already played when to start afresh can be configured, i.e. when to wrap around.

Please note that there is a special thread for Yet Another Shuffle for Winamp.
                              Sorry I was talking about the default WA shuffle, not Yet Another Shuffle for Winamp

But really all we need is the system I described before right?
                              no need to drop anything (except exclude the current track),
                              an equal chance for each track, each time

Comment

• pbelkner
                                • Jun 2010

But really all we need is the system I described before right?
                                If I understand you right, yes indeed. That's exactly what Yet Another Shuffle for Winamp offers:
                                no need to drop anything (except exclude the current track)
                                Yep.
                                an equal chance for each [remaining] track, each time
                                Yep.

Comment

Working...
                                X