Old 18th October 2018, 22:00   #81
musicf8
Major Dude
 
musicf8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
you make it 64bit b/c that allows it on other platforms, and b/c windows is going to drop 32bit eventually.

don't stop progress b/c u don't like change!

(just as an example, Nvidia is dropping 32bit video drivers, and they are one of only two major video card makers for windows, unless u include intel)
Microsoft would drop win64 if they were to drop win32, which is exactly where they are going with UWP. The reason why Windows won't drop Win32 anytime soon is backwards compatibility. Kind of the same reason why Winamp didn't move to 64bit. The last time they tried a big source change was Winamp3, which sadly failed, though winamp is a ghost town enough to probably make a huge change now, but really, then you would be alienating a lot of users that still use specific plug-ins.

Anyway, you should be excited, by the sounds of radionomy, winamp6 will dropping the desktop code and moving in a direction more inline with what you want. I am all out progress, but I am not all about change for the sake of change if it doesn't result any benefit.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: Beta released, the last desktop version get wacup

Winamp v5.6.6.3516 bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 22:39   #82
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,345
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
Anyway, you should be excited, by the sounds of radionomy, winamp6 will dropping the desktop code and moving in a direction more inline with what you want. I am all out progress, but I am not all about change for the sake of change if it doesn't result any benefit.
this just says to me that you did not read or understand what i wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
Microsoft would drop win64 if they were to drop win32, which is exactly where they are going with UWP. The reason why Windows won't drop Win32 anytime soon is backwards compatibility. Kind of the same reason why Winamp didn't move to 64bit. The last time they tried a big source change was Winamp3, which sadly failed, though winamp is a ghost town enough to probably make a huge change now, but really, then you would be alienating a lot of users that still use specific plug-ins.
i'm not a dev, but 32bit apps like mp3tag are now available via the windows store. so it would seem a 32 or 64bit app could be put in a UWP wrapper. but in any case, i do not see windows dropping 64bit at the same time they will drop 32bit, (or anywhere near it). yes, it is likely to be a while before 32bit is dropped, but it will be dropped. given that, and given the fact that going 64bit makes it possible to be platform agnostic (via OS specific wrappers), and given that winamp is essentially dead and a ghost town now, it makes sense to do it asap.

macOS and iOS are both now, and have been for quite some time, 64bit only. i would argue this clean break with the past has benefitted them both greatly. i would argue that status quo analysis paralysis leads to death.

those users who you say would be alienated, are missing out on nothing. they still have 5.666 or 5.8 and can still use them and their plugins on any windows, now or future, that will support them. what should be the focus is that now that it has died for all intents and purposes, what is the most likely way to resurrect it and give it long life going forward?

my answer would be a desktop app, 64bit, and platform agnostic with a builtin winamp app store for plugins. if that succeeds, then by all means port it to iOS and Android.

i just feel like if other apps, be it Kodi or FB2K or MM or dbPoweramp or whatever have figured out how to continue to exist with a working business model, so can Winamp. just look at something as simple as a remote control app, like aWAR. how much money has that guy made from his app? why didn't winamp do that???

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 01:41   #83
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,813
For legal reasons, I couldn't comment about the leak, but....
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=453675
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 02:12   #84
Juanus
Major Dude
 
Juanus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 734
Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
I couldn't comment about the leak, but....
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=453675
To be fair, you haven't commented about anything in a very long time. We could have used your guidance.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 04:18   #85
eliotime3000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 19
Thanks by the update

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
I couldn't comment about the leak, but....
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=453675
Thanks by the update. However, is stil avariable the inner alpha/beta testing for Winamp 6? Due to the leaks about the Winamp 5.8 closed beta stuff literally has been spreaded by the desperated need to the nostalgia of make Winamp great again.

Even I want to contribute with the development of Winamp, but this situation is actually not ideal to bring out a contribution so open.
eliotime3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 06:56   #86
MrSinatra
Forum King
 
MrSinatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WKPS, State College
Posts: 5,345
Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
here is my review so far of 5.8 3660

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=453692

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump