Old 18th March 2011, 22:04   #1
GravAMP

BLANK Media Library at launch

Hello Winamp team,
code:
# Fixed: [gen_ml] Empty/Grey ML when restarting Winamp from a minimized state
This was listed as fixed in version 5.6, but I'm still getting a blank ML when is launched after having been minimized when it was last open.

The ML is only re-populated by clicking the task button for Winamp. Clicking inside the window doesn't bring back my content. I've been experiencing this bug for as long as I can remember using Winamp 5; I'm just deciding to notifying you folks since it's supposed to have been fixed now.

Though, I'm sure the results are no different with the Bento skins seeing as they are very similar to ClassicPro skins -> I use a ClassicPro skin docked/auto-hidden/always-on-top on the left edge of my monitor. Although it can still be minimized as far as Windows is concerned can't be visually minimized while in this state. Not being able to tell whether has been minimized leads to plenty of odd launch moments when I end up seeing ˅˅˅ LOOK BELOW ˅˅˅

The next screenshot is what I should be seeing at launch:

P.S.
Why on Earth can't the Big/Little Bento skins be docked to the left or right?
That's by far the biggest reason I stick to ClassicPro skins!

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Winamp 5.62 (5.6.2.3161)
GravAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 00:13   #2
JonnyMac

It looks like the content panel of the ML is dragged too far to the left. Place the mouse pointer in the blank area of the panel and then slowly drag it to the left border until the pointer turns in to a double arrow <--->, then click and drag to the right. Hopefully that will allow you reveal the media tree and select a different view.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 00:43   #3
GravAMP

That's not the problem at all. I intentionally keep that section out of view because I do not play anything other than my locally stored music files.

I'm not asking how to get to another view within the Media Library. I'm just wondering why the ML is still showing up blank even though the minimization bug is supposed to have been fixed. The first screenshot is OBVIOUSLY the one with the issue, not the second one. That's my normal view after clicking the task button, exactly the way my ML should be and how I want it to look .

The left-most pane you speak of isn't even available in the first screenshot (which occurs after re-launching Winamp when Windows last had it in a minimized state), so clicking in that pane to bring back my ML content isn't even an option seeing as it's not available just like everything else in the ML . As I said in the OP, the only way to regain the ability to see my stuff is to click the task button for on the Windows taskbar. Also, note that bringing that section of the ML into view has nothing to do with the disappearance of my ML content in the first place. If I drag that section open -> minimize -> then close it -> followed finally by relaunching -> I will still end up with a blank ML.

Thanks for the reply, someone on the development team obviously knows/knew about this issue; that's why it was marked as FIXED when v5.6 was released.

Just want the Winamp team to know it's still not working as it should.

Winamp 5.62 (5.6.2.3161)
Old 19th March 2011, 01:08   #4
GravAMP

Exact steps to reproduce this bug

Here are the exact steps you should take to reproduce this bug:
  1. Select a Bento skin
  2. Right-click the titlebar then choose Window Settings > Docked Toolbar > Put check marks next to the following - Auto-Hide, Always On Top & Top
  3. Click the minimize button on Winamp's titlebar
  4. Shift+Right-Click on the task button to make sure it's been minimized, everything other than Restore should be grayed out
  5. Right-Click the task button and close the Window
  6. Launch Winamp from wherever (I have it pinned to my taskbar)
When Winamp appears you will see a blank grayed-out Media Library. The color is irrelevant, that's Bento's color scheme. (My screenshot appears jet black because my ClassicPro skin - Ebonite - is jet black)

Take note that this is not how Winamp usually ends up minimized on my system, it would be of me to intentionally minimize a docked window. I often use the LWin-D hotkey, plus Switcher 2.0 often minimizes all but my active window (just like using the Aero-Shake gesture - grab a windows titlebar and shake it).

Winamp 5.62 (5.6.2.3161)

Last edited by GravAMP; 19th March 2011 at 02:24. Reason: forgot to add that always-on-top should be checked in step 2
Old 19th March 2011, 02:27   #5
GravAMP

My previous post has been updated to reflect that Always-On-Top should be checked in step #2, in addition to Auto-Hide and Top.

Winamp 5.62 (5.6.2.3161)
Old 19th March 2011, 12:25   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hi

Yes, I can reproduce the problem using your steps in post #4

It was fixed for just the standard minimized state.
We weren't aware (until now) of the problem also existing with docked toolbar minimized state.
I'm not sure why you'd put the docked toolbar in a minimized state (what difference does it make?)
but still, a bug is a bug...

Hmm, and the Win7 taskbar preview/controls don't always appear in docked toolbar mode, but that's a separate issue....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 15:54   #7
GravAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Hi

Yes, I can reproduce the problem using your steps in post #4

It was fixed for just the standard minimized state.
We weren't aware (until now) of the problem also existing with docked toolbar minimized state.
I'm not sure why you'd put the docked toolbar in a minimized state (what difference does it make?)
but still, a bug is a bug...

Hmm, and the Win7 taskbar preview/controls don't always appear in docked toolbar mode, but that's a separate issue....
LOL, you obviously did not read through post #4 in its entirety.
READ AGAIN... I explained that those steps aren't how Winamp ends up minimized on my computer (just a simple method that will help you folks reproduce the bug).

I do not intentionally minimize the program and am not easily made aware of it's minimized state because it does not minimize visually.

Anyhow, glad Winamp team is now aware of this.
Although it's probably not the most common usage, Winamp does provide the ability to be docked/hidden/a-o-t just like the Windows taskbar; and that's how I always use both my Taskbar and Winamp.

P.S.
Why don't the Bento skins allow docking to the left/right edges of the screen?

Winamp 5.62 (5.6.2.3161)
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:23   #8
GravAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Yeah, there's an even bigger issue here. None of the taskbar preview controls ever work when in the docked toolbar mode, period. That includes middle-clicking the thumbnail to close the window. The preview still animates and the playback buttons change their graphic when pressed, but nothing happens when attempting to interact with the preview or buttons. I don't think Winamp is being fully recognized as a Window when it's a docked toolbar, to further support this theory is the fact that Winamp's thumbnail doesn't show up in Switcher 2.0 while Winamp is docked (it does show up in Flip 3D & Alt-Tab).

Once I undock Winamp all the preview controls function as they should.

I wasn't aware of either the controls disappearing or their complete lack of functionality due to the fact that I have been using the 'Windows 7 Taskbar Integration' plug-in (aka Win7Shell).

Thanks

Winamp 5.62 (5.6.2.3161)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
blank, media library, minimize