Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

View Poll Results: Does Jury Duty Suck or Not?
Does not suck. Meet my wife there, we decided that we had a thing for convicting people. 2 22.22%
Yeah it sucks. But it gets me out of work so. 4 44.44%
It's not called "duty" for nothing. 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st October 2002, 05:30   #1
Avalon
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Avalon
Jury Duty, Sucks, or governments new dating service

So I haver Jury Duty tomarrow (me needs to head to sleep like... now). But, I wanted to know everyone elses opinoin on it. Does it suck or not?
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 06:10   #2
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to J. Burnaway
I wouldn't know - I've never had it, and I get out of it every time (knock on wood).
I once got called for Federal jury duty. That's the worst. It lasts a month, no easy way out - they don't accept the normal excuses. (But you get paid $40 a day - whoopee freaking doo). However, just because there's no easy way out, doesn't mean there is NO way out.
J. Burnaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 06:29   #3
ujay
Forum King

Can't really help, though I've been told it's boring as hell and the chances of getting anything remotely interesting are about zero.

I've been eligible for 35 years now and never once called. I think my name is on a list somewhere along with most of my friends, they never get called either. Only times I've been in court were the wrong side of the rail.

JB - how the hell can you manage on $40 a day, surely someone still pays your wages ?

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 06:38   #4
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
JB - how the hell can you manage on $40 a day, surely someone still pays your wages?
I sure can't make it on $40 a day! And I still would have had to pay for parking.

Some companies continue to pay your wages if you get called for jury duty, usually bigger companies, or government agencies if that is who you work for. My small company, however, made you take a maximum of 3 sick days, and after that you either use vacation time, or you go without pay. When there are 15 people in an office, they can't really afford to pay one person for a whole month and not get any work out of that person. And the Feds don't take the "I won't get paid excuse" which usually works for County jury duty.
Old 31st October 2002, 07:52   #5
ujay
Forum King

Must be a lot of disgruntled jurors around - no wonder OJ got off

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 08:41   #6
Jay
Moderator Alumni

heh I just told them that I was not fond of the police at that time (which was true, long story) and they cut me loose. Now I use academics as my exemption and that only takes a fax
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 12:48   #7
Avalon
Major Dude

Really wish I could get out of it because it's Halloween, and it's in New York City (which means DUCK FROM THE EGGS!!!!)
Old 31st October 2002, 12:57   #8
Avalon
Major Dude

Okay now I head to JD, I will tell you how it all went... or as much as I can legally.
Old 31st October 2002, 19:13   #9
Sparky!

I served on a jury about 6 years ago. I was expecting the worst but it turned out to be pretty cool. But that probably depends on the case before you.

They were trying a guy for kidnapping his ex-girlfriend at knifepoint and holding her all day.

The defendant came unglued during the testimony of the prosecution's star witness and had to be bodily dragged from the courtroom while he kicked and shouted at the top of his lungs.

Trial lasted 2.5 days, we deliberated 4 hours then pronounced him guilty.

The whole experience was NOTHING like you see on TV (but that's true of most everything) except for the screaming defandant.

I'd recomend it to anyone. It's a great diversion from the daily grind and in my case my employer paid me for the time and let me keep the $10/day I was paid by the county.
Sparky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 19:53   #10
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
My next door neighboor, a kind man of Indian descent, was summoned a couple years ago, and served the duty- He had recently used all of his vacation time, and was forced to work overtime.

The case was Taco Bell vs. a guy. Taco Bell was suing the guy for damages- he ordered a bean and cheese burrito with a small drink, and then ran out of the resaurant with the food, without paying.

Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 19:58   #11
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Avalon
So I haver Jury Duty tomarrow (me needs to head to sleep like... now). But, I wanted to know everyone elses opinoin on it. Does it suck or not?
Dude, wanna get out of jury duty?
Tell them you're mentally incapable of comprehending testimony.
If they dispute your claim, show them your spelling

I had jury duty on September 11th, 2001
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 20:13   #12
J. Burnaway
Forum King

I would need so much caffeine if I was on a jury...

If they want to assign you to a criminal case, and you don't want to serve, just tell the judge during the juror questioning that of course the guy is guilty, the police wouldn't have arrested him if he wasn't.
Old 31st October 2002, 20:29   #13
Aquila Blue
Major Dude

I've never been on jury duty before, nor do I know anyone who has been, but my mother has been an expert witness in some cases before. She says it's not really that exciting, but I think it would be neat to have the skills to be an expert witness.

Aquila Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 20:48   #14
FesterHead
Alumni

I love jury duty and rejoice whenever I get called. Even better if I get on the actual jury. Heck, I wish I'd get called more often.

The best part is deliberating with jurors that are incapable of rational thought.

FesterHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 22:48   #15
dylman
Forum King

I'm afraid I can't back this up with any kind of evidence, but I recently heard a story from a man doing jury service. In this particular trial it was evident that the defendent was innocent of the charges brought against him.

One of the jurors however, a spectacularly stupid woman, was convinced that somebody in the courtroom must therefore be guilty. She was apparently absolutely certain that it was the court stenographer.
Too much Perry Mason can be a bad thing...

I've never been called up, but I think it would be an interesting experience (as long as I got my wages).

There's no need to tell me when I'm right;
I operate on that principle exclusively and with absolute certainty
dylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 22:53   #16
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by dylman
I've never been called up, but I think it would be an interesting experience (as long as I got my wages).
Again, I've never yet been called upon to do it, but I would do it provided my employer continued to pay me while I was there.

Otherwise... not a chance. I work for peanuts as it is, and couldn't afford the time off to do it - the miniscule expenses you get paid wouldn't cover the fuel, food, and parking for every day I was in court.
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 23:28   #17
John M
Puts the Cuss in General Discussions
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to John M
just say that youre a member of the KKK. the quick and easy way out of jury duty.

missyob made me post this.
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2002, 23:39   #18
smeggle

I just can't resist an answer ...ha ha

O>K. How ti get out of jury duty the easy way:

go to court ( you don't the Judge just jail's you instead ....Yeah ! go figure ? )
wait till the old attorneys start asking who and what you do etc. ( You'll find that they tend to be nosy Git's like this ...don't be offended just answer nice and sweetly )
When the bit comes up where they ask the "Million Dollar" question,
You know the one ...where they ask is there any reason why you should not serve on the jury?

Smile a nice little smilee... take a side long glance at the defendant ........And say:"Didn't I meet you in a bar about a month or so ago I'm sure it was you "?" why did'nt you get in touch"/
At the cultimation of this
1, The Defence think your the most brilliant amaazing gifted person that has ever lived and would definately make you Numero uno!!!

2, The prosecution hate you with a vengeance to them you are so low..etc............ YOU are definately out even if he has to use every choice he has YOU ARE NOT ON THIS JURY!!!!!!

3, Result : The Judge can's your ass ..You get a day of work with pay ( report in sick )you get A day of worl ,Payed for it and you should be home in time for lunch.

or You could always ring back and say sorry but I'm booked to lounge around the winamp forum's that day and by legal ( they won't know this is a lie .They never do ! well you hope otherwise you must revert to plan 'A')order of The grand whipin Llama's and I have to be there.
If there thick enough to fall for plan 'B'then you get to stay on The Winamp forum's all day.
Either way you win!!
The smeggle
Old 1st November 2002, 02:15   #19
Avalon
Major Dude

So, I went to my first day of jury duty, and after a few hundred hours of waiting, and even more hours of waiting, and well... more waiting, I found out I'm a juror. WHEE MORE WORK MISSED! I get paied $40 a day, but shyt man... how about more, I get paid that in less than 3 days. me angry. At least there's a cutie who's there who I can get along with!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions