LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Quote:
Originally posted by WINTRAMP
[B]Brilliantly done, this.
Thanks.
Quote:
At the risk of being a pest...is it possible to make the player larger (without choosing double size in options).
Not possible at all, sorry. "Classic skins" have a fixed size and shape.
Quote:
Also, any way to add colour options? Would look deluxe in blue...
Classic skins don't support color themes, so it'd have to be done manually. No way in hell I'll do it, but if someone wants to recolor the bitmaps with photoshop, they can. I know a few people did that with the "Winamp 5 Classified" skin, so I wouldn't be too surprised.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 03:37   #42
djpete
Major Dude

bloody damn good job LuigiHann!
Bento look with the speed and design flexibility of a classic skin...way to go!

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 04:07   #43
WINTRAMP

Thanks again for your efforts, LuigiHann; likewise so for your answers to my questions. Much appreciated, all of it.

As for this comment...

Quote:
Originally posted by mike-db
Did you register today, just to say that?
...not so appreciated. I may not be able to boast of having your very impressive tally of 1541 posts, yet clearly quantity counts for little without quality of content. Did I register today, just to say that? No. I registered to ask a few questions that I have had, and to extend appreciation to efforts made and responses given - unlike yours - with dignity and positivity.

I feel welcomed and am enjoying my new Bento-look player. Ten on ten, LuigiHann!
WINTRAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 07:31   #44
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

What amazes me is not so much people falling in love with the whole SUI concept, but more the fact that they are falling in love with the look of Bento.

Face it guys, we've been skinning winamp now for nearly 10 years, churning out hundreds and hundreds of skins of varying colours and designs, when all we had to do all along was create a dull black skin with a few shiny buttons.

Eureka!
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 07:43   #45
LuigiHann
Forum King

Yeah, I don't get it either. Looks pretty average to me. Then again, it is pretty refined, at least.

Old 22nd October 2007, 07:48   #46
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

kinda windows xp if you ask me
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 07:49   #47
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

A dog turd is still a dog turn even if you polish it up first.
Old 22nd October 2007, 07:54   #48
LuigiHann
Forum King

I said "average," not "crap." It's more like if you polish a wooden chair. It's still just a boring chair, but it looks nicer than an unpolished one.

Old 22nd October 2007, 07:58   #49
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Same analogy, different phrasing.

I wonder if people now will chug out dozens of windows media player skins in the shape of bento, like we've been subjected to dozens of wimp11 style skins.....
Old 22nd October 2007, 08:57   #50
djpete
Major Dude

my theory is that the real Bento won't be changed because the powers to be want a head to head equivalent to the windows media player....??
which is understandable.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:15   #51
TheElusiveMelon

Well not really, if you want a skin that isn't an SUI, use the 2 other skins included that do the job. If you want winamp classic to look like Bento, download Luigi's skin.

The Winamp Dev team have more important stuff to do than making pointless skins.
TheElusiveMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:45   #52
WINTRAMP

What the Bento look taps into is that which WMP and countless colourtastic Winamp skins didn't - simplicity and clean lines. Designers of jeans, trainers, cars, stereos, vacuums or any consumer good have spent more than 10 years trying to outdesign and dazzle in the process, only to overdesign. In time, some figured it out. Adidas, to name one, recognised the universal and timeless appeal of its classic lines. As such its Gazelle trainer has outsold and outlasted every other design of this athletic giant. Mac gets it too - a large part of the iPod success is its sparse design. How many people have tried to do everything imaginable to jeans? Levi's, however, understands how to be timeless - by being timelessly simple in design. Factory Records understood elegance and the generous use of white space. Real Madrid likewise champions an all-white canvas, as much as the New York Yankees don't mess with navy, grey, white and pinstripes. All of these brands have universal appeal. McD's arches are nothing special, nor is the Shell logo. Or is it? Others clutter, add bells and whistles, spinning or exploding things, pinks and purples and the latest rad or wickid font, but Bang & Olufsen and BMW are much closer in spirit to what Bento did - be it intentionally or purely by chance: it embraced clean lines. It's about more than "dull black" and ''shiny buttons''; it's about the essence of design and that things look best when there's as little as possible going on, and that that which is on view is placed with purpose. Any decent graphic designer will say the same...and so will Giorgio Armani (that guy who makes suits that someone out there will surely say looks...dull.) The part that I don't get is the SUI thing. Maybe someone can explain the appeal of that to me...
Old 22nd October 2007, 11:53   #53
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Dude, there are any number of look a like skins kicking around that have done the whole shiny black look to death, it's nothing new, not entirely sure why people think it's the biggest thing since the invention of the wheel.

And you don't get the SUI?, have you seen Winamps competion, they all seem to think SUI is the way forward, witness WiMP, iTunes yada yada, Winamp is just jumping on the bandwaggon
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:13   #54
WINTRAMP

I'm not much of a bandwagon jumper. I know everyone else is doing the SUI thing, yet one of the many reasons why Winamp's long been my media player choice is that it's always been different than everyone else. That said I genuinely don't have a grasp of SUI's benefits...all I know is it's not my thing. I find it visually over-the-top, and not very versatile as an interface. I'm probably missing out on some features by avoiding it...I just don't know what those are. For years people tried to sell me on WMP or (ouch) Real Player, claiming Winamp looked boring. VLC and Foobar are likewise ''boring'' but have better features than the aforementioned. Winamp has both, I find: visual appeal and (importantly) features that...well the llama and all that, you know?
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:19   #55
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I couldn't possibly comment on the appeal of a SUI, I barely even use the standard GUI for winamp, either modern or classic, haven't done for years, tray control and hotkeys all the way.

I suppose it could extend the life cycle of your point and click device, you wouldn't have to perform as many clicks to open say the playlist, media lib, video window etc as they are all there under one roof for you now.

Other than that, why would you want your entire screen covered in winamp?, dosn't that make using other aspects of your PC kind of difficult?, you know, like now I'm typing this, I have excel open doing some work, SAP running, numerous folders open, the lat thing I need is winamp spreading itself all over the place, get down in the damd tray where you belong!
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:26   #56
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Same analogy, different phrasing.

I wonder if people now will chug out dozens of windows media player skins in the shape of bento, like we've been subjected to dozens of wimp11 style skins.....
If you really meant Windows Media Playwer skins, I don't really care. If you meant Winamp skins, I'm ready to adopt the same rule I have in place for Winamp3, Modern and other Nullsoft skins: ONE only, and since I allow only one, it should be the very best.

That's why the Winamp3 and Winamp5 classified skins are made up by different people. They were different skins, and I took the better part of the skins and edited them together for the best result. You also won't find the database flooded with knock-offs.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:29   #57
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

No, I meant skins for WiMP11, does anybody skin for that?

We've had dozens of WiMP11 knock offs, bout time they had a similar quantity back for their player, if anyone even skins for it, I tried once and nearly fell into a coma, it was so unexciting...
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:12   #58
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Quote:
Originally posted by WINTRAMP
...not so appreciated. I may not be able to boast of having your very impressive tally of 1541 posts, yet clearly quantity counts for little without quality of content. Did I register today, just to say that? No. I registered to ask a few questions that I have had, and to extend appreciation to efforts made and responses given - unlike yours - with dignity and positivity.

I feel welcomed and am enjoying my new Bento-look player. Ten on ten, LuigiHann!
Lol... Thank you! Yes I do feel great about me 1500 posts or so, makes me feel like a man. I must have a large penis.
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 18:05   #59
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

I made a boring skin once, then I stabbed myself in the ovaries.
Old 22nd October 2007, 18:48   #60
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I swear to God if one more stupid cunt pops up in the bitchlist with 'ZOMG you totally killed winamp with dis Bento shit' I might stab you in the ovaries as well.....
Old 22nd October 2007, 23:41   #61
Eddie1506

Quote:
And you don't get the SUI?, have you seen Winamps competion, they all seem to think SUI is the way forward, witness WiMP, iTunes yada yada, Winamp is just jumping on the bandwaggon
Yeah, but most of the Winamp competition allows changing windows' position inside SUI without making much noise. It's perfectly normal for them.

Is there any normal reason why we can't replace the contents of media library placeholder with playlist for example? The way it is now, media library takes space unnecessary if shown (for people who don't have use for it, and many don't), and when hidden, renders playlist practicaly useless.
Eddie1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 00:04   #62
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie1506
Is there any normal reason why we can't replace the contents of media library placeholder with playlist for example?
because that's how the skin has currently been designed. also those doing it are very ml-centric in their viewpoints and is why the playlist editor was sort of relegated to where it is. the skin source is out there i believe so there's nothing stopping people modifying the skin themselves.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 00:09   #63
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
No, I meant skins for WiMP11, does anybody skin for that?
You mean actual skins, as opposed to ads, right?
(to be fair, I could have also linked to a whole load of Winamp skins of course)
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:05   #64
Zero Interrupt

Send a message via AIM to Zero Interrupt
THANK you! All these years I've been waiting for something as cool-looking and simple as this skin, and they screw it up by trying to copy another crappy player. You rock.
Zero Interrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 20:00   #65
schwong

Thank you so much, I loved the initial look of the new Bento theme but seriously hated the reduced functionality that came with it. Fantastic job.
schwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 06:10   #66
dkordik

Thanks a ton for this Classic port, and thanks to the original artist for the original Bento, without which my new favorite classic skin would not be possible!
dkordik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 14:00   #67
lightninglord

Is this still WIP or is the Bento Skin already 'classified'? If yes, where can I download it?
lightninglord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 14:49   #68
Painwouf

Yes, where we can download the Bento "classic" ?
Painwouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 15:01   #69
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Page one of this thread, about halfway down.
Old 26th October 2007, 20:49   #70
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Looks like you got your self a keeper luigi.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 21:37   #71
LuigiHann
Forum King

Quote:
Page one of this thread, about halfway down.
If you could use your evil Mod powers to put the final link and screenshot into the first post, maybe change the thread title... it's up to you, but it'd probably be more helpful to the people coming here looking for the skin than my typical whining is. And who knows how long it'll be until I can actually upload something to the skins database and actually see it published.

Old 26th October 2007, 22:59   #72
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Fixed, kind of...
Old 26th October 2007, 23:01   #73
Riksruin
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Riksruin Send a message via AIM to Riksruin Send a message via Yahoo to Riksruin
Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie1506
Yeah, but most of the Winamp competition allows changing windows' position inside SUI without making much noise. It's perfectly normal for them.

Is there any normal reason why we can't replace the contents of media library placeholder with playlist for example? The way it is now, media library takes space unnecessary if shown (for people who don't have use for it, and many don't), and when hidden, renders playlist practicaly useless.
SIMPLE!!

Create your playlist in the media libary under playlists click on the playlist, fill it with songs and the resize the playlist window down to nothing

and if you want to use the audio section of the media libary to add new songs Right click the song -> Send To -> Media Libary playlists -> pick a list

Job Done!
Riksruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 21:10   #74
Ned Decca

Quote:
Dude, there are any number of look a like skins kicking around that have done the whole shiny black look to death,
even i did it, its just cause black works, with over 150,000 downloads
http://www.winamp.com/skins/details/166226

That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. Fail. - Mr Jones
Ned Decca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 21:12   #75
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

good way to pump up the old ego.
Old 28th October 2007, 21:18   #76
Ned Decca

word

That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. Fail. - Mr Jones
Ned Decca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 10:51   #77
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Attention whore ...
Old 31st October 2007, 21:18   #78
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
i like it luigi... now if only it was re-sizeable in stick mode and color switchable...

/me ducks

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 23:27   #79
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
Yea, but you could add colour themes, mute buttons, proper album art support, opacity, that funky vis, stretchable main windows, different ticker modes, a lightning bolt that actually does something and all with windows that don't stick together like the original Bento yada yada yada yada yada....

No, I'm not making it.
That's kinda what I was looking for. All the old and new features of Bento but with movable non-SUI windows. Having said that, I must say, the skin that was made in this thread is quite impressive.

Another nice fix would be to finally have regular scroll bars - ones that resize to reflect the size of the lists and has all the normal functionality of windows scrollbars.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 07:31   #80
dropship-dvd
Banned

dropship-dvd

Dear Sir/Madam,
I'm a spamming cocktard
The end.
dropship-dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins