Old 23rd September 2005, 13:07   #41
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Updated to version 0.5.

The transcoder is now included in mlipod, to deal with incompatable files.

If any of you plugin developers want to do something similar with your plugin, then check out wa_transcode.h in the source.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2005, 23:53   #42
Tomoyo

hi,
This plugin usefull,but It is hard to use UI.

Encoding Format COMBOBOX
it is height 30,since only one format is displayed, how is the height of a for 116?
Two or more formats can be displayed(like CD ripping tab)
Tomoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2005, 01:32   #43
will

I've just added a small wav "encoder" so you can do mp3 to wav and the like.

Old 24th September 2005, 14:33   #44
2pacalypse

not that i use wma but i tried converted to it and it crashes winamp and that XP "dont send" "send" box just appears. any1 else have that it seems to do it everytime, the other formats work fine. am i missing some wma codec?
2pacalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2005, 20:01   #45
jimmydu3

Is it possible to add a "Delete orginal afer conversion" option? Thanks so much for this great plugin, James
Old 3rd October 2005, 03:18   #46
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger
thanks will!

I was having a lot of problems with v0.4, now I'm using v0.5 and it's working great!

got any other features you plan to implement?
STanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2005, 20:53   #47
saxhole

Quote:
transcoder works great! (Just have to install .flac support for Winamp...) Thanks!
What does that mean?
saxhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2005, 21:00   #48
gaekwad2
Foorum King

That if you want to transcode to/from flac you need the flac encoder/input plugin
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2005, 15:24   #49
rubb3r_b0i

can anyone tell me why there is a error message saying the encoder cant be loaded?
rubb3r_b0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2005, 15:30   #50
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Maybe, if you tell us which encoder you were trying to use, and what source files, drm-crippled wma perhaps?
Old 18th October 2005, 01:27   #51
nippler

enocde to wma

I am having problems encoding any file type to wma. I say it does it successfully but when I look at the file it only has one second for the length. I am interested in reformatting all my itunes into wma. Do I need a different wma encoder? Otherwise this plugin works great. If more information is needed please ask as I am new to WA but have version 5.1 pro a new install.
nippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 02:03   #52
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Files bought from iTunes?

Those are drm-'protected' as well, so there's no way to convert them.

You could try decrypting them with Hymn, but I'm not sure if it works currently.

And, why wma? >_<

iTunes uses aac which is a far superior format. Converting them into crappy wma will seriously hurt quality.

If you must convert (eg. for a player that doesn't play m4a/aac) you should rather use mp3, either in quality mode --alt-preset standard to save as much quality as possible or --alt-preset ABR, average bitrate 128 to keep the original size without hurting quality too much.
Old 19th October 2005, 02:55   #53
nippler

The itunes files are not downloaded but ripped by itunes in their format. Why wma? Mostly b/c the majority of my music files are ripped in wma 64b/s, so I was trying to keep it standard. I have read some discussions that rips on every format so it is hard for me to decide. The one thing I do prefer is having everything at 64 bitrate, just b/c my music is approaching 60GB at this point and storing at 128 would double this. I know storage is not a big issue but having my all my music with me always is. If you can point me somewhere to help me decide how to preserve the best quality and still minimize size I would be greatful.
Old 19th October 2005, 15:24   #54
d3x7r0

Send a message via Skype™ to d3x7r0
if you use itunes use aac, not as compact as wma but a lot more quality...

NOTE: I am Dextro!
d3x7r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 14:13   #55
k_kolev1985

HI Will,

The new 0.5 version of the Winamp transcoder is great!

I have two questions about it:
1. I was trying to transcode some *.wav files into AAC+ format, but the transcoder names the files as "Unknown title". The reason is, that it names the files using ID3 tag information and everybody knows that *.wav files don't have ID3 tags. So, if I'm transcoding more then 1 files, every next file replaces the previous one (deletes him). My question is: Can I make the transcoder name the transcoded files using the filenames from the original ones and how?
2. I was trying to transcode the song "KAJE - Hey buddy (featuring Afrika Bambaataa).aac" which came with Winamp 5.1 to *.wav format, but in the end of the transcoding, the transcoder crashed with the following message:
Title: Transcoding... transcoder.exe - Application Error
Message contents: The instruction at "0x7c91142e" referenced memory at "0x00060001". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the program.
When I tryed to transcode "KAJE - Hey buddy (featuring Afrika Bambaataa).aac" to *.mp3, the transcoded file was with triple length and was playing very slow. Is this file protected or there is another problem? I wanted to transcode that file to *.mp3 because my portable player does not support *.aac files.

Can anybody help me with those two problems?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Sorry if my english is bad, but I think it is better to have something than nothing. SpeechLab 2.0. JAWS for Windows. ABBYY FineReader. LAME encoder. The GodFather (audio file manager).
k_kolev1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 11:43   #56
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Quote:
Originally posted by k_kolev1985
HI Will,

The new 0.5 version of the Winamp transcoder is great!

I have two questions about it:
1. I was trying to transcode some *.wav files into AAC+ format, but the transcoder names the files as "Unknown title". The reason is, that it names the files using ID3 tag information and everybody knows that *.wav files don't have ID3 tags. So, if I'm transcoding more then 1 files, every next file replaces the previous one (deletes him). My question is: Can I make the transcoder name the transcoded files using the filenames from the original ones and how?
I already reported this problem to Will on IRC. We just have to wait until he has enough time to fix the bug, which I confirm does exist
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 13:03   #57
MasterViVi

Great tool.

Two things:

1. It pops up a progress-window now and then which is really annoying as I cancel it very easy when typing.
2. Using the AAC+ codec, I can't change options without freezing Winamp. I need to select another codec first and then ACC again to make it work.
MasterViVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2005, 19:11   #58
DJ Bizze

Where have all the encoders gone?

Great plugin! I've been using it for a while now on my home laptop and I love it!

However, things aren't going so smooth when I installed it at work. I'm running Winamp 5.1 on Win2k with all the default encoders plus an OggVorbis encoder. Everything has been installed to the default directories.

When I go to transcode a file, the only encoding option I get is MP4 AAC v1.0 (I didn't have that problem on my home laptop, where the only difference is that the OS is WinXP).

Do you think I'm looking at an OS problem, a Winamp prolem, or is it the plugin itself?
DJ Bizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2005, 00:52   #59
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterViVi
2. Using the AAC+ codec, I can't change options without freezing Winamp. I need to select another codec first and then ACC again to make it work.
Confirmed, in fact it happens with all AAC encoders and the MP3 encoder, but not with the WMA one or Gutenberg's FLAC and Vorbis encoders.
Old 4th November 2005, 03:59   #60
nippler

Quote:
Originally posted by nippler
The itunes files are not downloaded but ripped by itunes in their format. Why wma? Mostly b/c the majority of my music files are ripped in wma 64b/s, so I was trying to keep it standard. I have read some discussions that rips on every format so it is hard for me to decide. The one thing I do prefer is having everything at 64 bitrate, just b/c my music is approaching 60GB at this point and storing at 128 would double this. I know storage is not a big issue but having my all my music with me always is. If you can point me somewhere to help me decide how to preserve the best quality and still minimize size I would be greatful.
I still would like to transcode from aac to wma can anyone help? I updated and now instead of pretending that it works it errors out. I don't want to get into what format is better I just want to put it into wma for my own myself. Help?
Old 4th November 2005, 12:23   #61
gaekwad2
Foorum King

EDIT (in case you read the previous version):Grmbl. Sorry, I must have overlooked something. Seems like FLAC to wma doesn't work either (and mp3 too).
-----

Transcoding directly doesn't work*, in fact it seems like the only format that can be transcoded to wma is Ogg Vorbis, so you could go m4a > ogg, ogg > wma (if you use maximum quality for the oggs the additional loss should be acceptable).

Get the Vorbis encoder, transcode the m4as to ogg (quality 10, since you don't want to keep them anyway the huge size shouldn't matter), add the oggs to your playlist and convert them to wma (using a different output folder), then delete the oggs (or simply their folder if you used another one for the wmas).

*I also tried it with raw aac audio extracted from the m4as, as well as using the audiocoding.com mp4 input pugin. In both cases it "pretended to work" as described by you above.

Last edited by gaekwad2; 4th November 2005 at 13:18.
Old 11th November 2005, 00:56   #62
al"Thor

Cannot load decoder!

When I try to decode .flac files to, say .ogg, I'm getting the error: "Cannot load de-coder!"

Can anyone tell me why? What am I doing wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: png mgcpicture2.png (1.8 KB, 908 views)
al"Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2005, 02:03   #63
DrO

is this related to the transcoder plugin? if so you've posted in completely the wrong forum...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2005, 02:10   #64
al"Thor

Yes, it is related to Transcoder. Wrong forum? Dang. I'll look around for the correct forum.......thanks
al"Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2005, 08:20   #65
Logy

i have problems when using transcoder it is cannot load the decoder espesially winamp decoder
seee this http://forums.winamp.com/attachment....postid=1804591

The English suffix -logy denotes a field of study or academic discipline.
Logy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2005, 10:21   #66
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Re: Cannot load decoder!

Quote:
Originally posted by al"Thor
When I try to decode .flac files to, say .ogg, I'm getting the error: "Cannot load de-coder!"

Can anyone tell me why? What am I doing wrong?
Which flac input plugin do you have?

This one works for me (XP Home SP2).
Old 16th December 2005, 01:41   #67
Daev78

so, when I try to use this transcoder the only format option it gives me is MP4 AAC? I've never converted anything to MP3 before... I downloaded some LAME files but I'm retarded and don't really understand where I'm supposed to put them. When I do a search for LAME_enc.dll it tells me that I already have it in my Winamp plugins directory. So what gives? Why can I only transcode to one file type and not the file type I want? What the heck is MP4 AAC anyway?
Daev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 04:12   #68
theknub
Major Dude

this is most likely because you do not have the encoder files installed in the correct directory. however, do to my lack of experience on this i will pass this on to someone more knowledgable than myself.

now, i'll take this opportunity to ask, has anyone gotten the transcoder to work with mlwww or whatever the internet streamer was called again.

When you take a hand and chop the fingers off... what do u get?

That would be the knub.
theknub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 05:55   #69
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger

any word on an update?
STanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 21:16   #70
Daev78

I figured out that the transcoder only works with windows XP. I installed it on my laptop (with xp) and it works fine, it just doesnt work on my desktop which has windows 2000
Daev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 13:46   #71
cmachine

Hi

I can transcode "on the fly" a flac file to mp3 to my Ipod (using the feature to convert incompatible files to ipod).

But it does not work if I want to transcode a 320k mp3 to e.g. a 128k mp3 to my Ipod (due to save space on ipod)

Can someone help me?

Thanks
Olaf
cmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2006, 11:34   #72
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

0.6 Update

Added: A "use orginal filename" option, for files without metadata.
Added: Added <filename> tag to the formatting.

more info

Note that the "This version of in_mp4 requires Winamp 5.12" error message has been taken out of in_mp4 for Winamp 5.13 (which will be ready when it's ready, if you were maybe thinking of asking), but Transcoder will probably still need updating to be able to transcode from/to m4a.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 18:07   #73
ckjnigel

with Winamp 5.2

Are there any things I ought to know when using this to create 48 kbps Parametric Stereo, MPEG4 checked, files using Winamp 5.2? I.e., am I getting max benefit of whatever new tweaks are in the v 1.2 encoder? Even Tag&Rename doesn't see the output *.aac files, but they play fine and tags are read with TCPMP on Pocket PC.
I'm hoping there will soon be a version that can transcode to the new double-sampled LC-AAC.
ckjnigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2006, 14:10   #74
benaw

this is really good will thanks a lot
benaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 16:13   #75
IllBugYou

I searched and there doesn't seem to be anything, but using Winamp 5.2 and Transcoder 0.6 there doesn't seem to be anyway to transcode to AAC, there are so many different aac+ formats now, and only one of them come up in the transcoder menu. I tried a clean install but no difference.
IllBugYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 16:33   #76
will

Yeah i think the transcoder is officially broken for many formats.

Old 26th February 2006, 17:22   #77
gaekwad2
Foorum King

For now (learn to) use dimzon's commandline frontend if you want to transcode to AAC/aacPlus.
Old 28th March 2006, 18:50   #78
TomXP411

I've noticed that when I right-click on a playlist and click transcode, I get an error that the decoder can't be found.

However, I can select the files IN a playlist. This might be something to fix in the future - I almost uninstalled the program, thinking it was broken.
TomXP411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2006, 00:36   #79
KnifeFed

Thanks for a great plugin!

I was wondering though if there is any possibility to use this plugin to simply transfer files without transcoding them. I have a SonyEricsson W810i Walkman phone and I would love it if I could use Winamp to transfer songs to it without having to transcode them, i.e. configuring Transcoder to move the specified files to my memory stick using the correct folder strucure (x:\music\<Artist>\<Album>\<Title>)... if this can't be done with Transcoder, perhaps there is some other way?

Thanks!
KnifeFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2006, 12:37   #80
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Well, transcoder is used for transcoding. What you want is a device plugin, I think gUSB should do what you're after maybe?

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion