Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th July 2001, 03:12   #1
Entropy42

I'm insanely curious - What sort of rendering technique are you using to do this? MilkDrop is the second plugin I've ever seen that used 3D hardware acceleration (with the exception of the dancing-whatever-it-may-be plugins), and the first that used it for anything other than scaling a "standard" non-accelrated plugin to a larger size with antialiasing. (Specifically, the "jakdaw" plugin for XMMS. It renders the plugin output to an OpenGL texture, which is then mapped to the screen size.) That plugin still needs the CPU to handle the processing of delta maps (I'm using the term that G-Force uses here - There are tons of other names for it, but essentially a map of vectors that say "pixel x1,y1 in frame n moves to pixel x2,y2 in frame n+1".)

How is Milkdrop doing these mapping functions? I'm interested in writing a similar application myself. (Don't get me wrong - Milkdrop is amazing. But it's Windows-only, and I'm a hardcore Linux user and don't want to have to reboot for my vis.)

Plus I'm currently doing something that's just plain impossible under Windows using the Linux port of Andy O'Meara's G-Force 1.1.6 (2.0 isn't open-source. ) - Currently, XMMS (Linux equivalent of Winamp) is running on my desktop machine, with sound coming from that machine. It's displaying visualization locally to its own display. The main XMMS window and playlist window are displayed on my laptop via VNC. Eventually I plan to use this for parties - The desktop in a secluded area hooked up to my LCD projector, with my laptop as a wireless remote control.

Windows has no native concept of remote displays, which makes tricks like this impossible. With MilkDrop and any other fullscreen vis plugin, you can only do basic control functions like play/stop/pause/prev/next, etc, unless you're running a multiheaded system.

The only deficiency my Linux box has compared to Windows for my purposes these days is music vis... G-Force 1.1.6 is cool, but not nearly as cool as G-Force 2.0, Geiss 4.x, or MilkDrop. I'd love to know how MilkDrop was written so I could try writing something similar for Linux. (Unless Ryan wants to try porting it.
Entropy42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop