Old 22nd September 2016, 13:21   #1
Gerdski

Is there somehing like a "note detection"?

Hi all,

I (as a musician) wonder if there is something like a note detection, like the beat detection, but for certain notes or ranges only.

I would like to write some music that integrates well with Milkdrop, and different actions or developments in music would surely benefit from Milkdrop reacting to this.

Like, e.g. 2 different movements in the lower and higher frequencies, one visualized on the left, one on the right, each with its own special pattern. Or 2 concentric circles maybe.

I am looking for presets that have this. (if at all possible)

Thanks,
Gerdski
Gerdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 18:38   #2
Nitorami
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nitorami
There are two ways to discriminate between frequencies, either by using the bass, mid and treb signals, or the continuous spectrum. Many presets use some of these signals although not necessarily in a way as to clearly separate them on the screen. But "spectrum" presets usually do, the left part of the spectrum representing the low notes and the right hand side the higher notes. So this can be done easily but it takes a bit more to make a good preset.

To see what I mean I attach a sample preset which simply shows the spectrum as yellow line in 32 steps, and a circle representation of the spectrum.
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - simple circle spectrum demo.milk (5.5 KB, 97 views)
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 12:20   #3
Gerdski

Hey...this looks quite good. It is technically what I was looking for.

I am playing a 12-stringed-monster like this (although with a different hairstyle):

6 strings for tha bass and 6 strings for the melody, like a normal guitar. Separated in stereo...bass is left, melody is right.

Can you divide the spectrum between left and right? So the bass part is displayed in a different way than the guitar part?

Can you divide the spectrum into as small parts as single notes?
Old 25th September 2016, 18:29   #4
Nitorami
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nitorami
Impressive. Never seen anything like that ! Are you sure you got enough fingers to play it ?

Milkdrop can divide the spectrom on the basis of either:
Stereo channel, i.e. left / right. I guess this is not what you mean.
Frequency. It should quite well be possible to separate a bass line from the guitar part. I should say however that milkdrop's spectrum function is quite limited and it might not be possible to detect really low frequencies. In technical terms, the FFT window length is too bloody short.

Frequency ratio between single notes is approximately 5%, milkdrop's FFt provides realistically 128 lines within a bandwidth of approximately 16kHz, i.e. distance between lines is 125Hz. The A' is 880Hz, and 125 Hz is more than 10% of that, therefore - no, not in general. It might however work for the overtones. A custom made FFT might also do the trick but that would be quite a bit of work.

I attach a spectrogram preset so you can test this for yourselves. I shows all signals from milkdrops inbuild FFT over time. Try it out with your guitar, and you'll quickly understand how it works.
Attached Files
File Type: milk martin - simplespectrogram.milk (5.9 KB, 87 views)
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 09:37   #5
Gerdski

Hi. Sorry...new Job and not enough time for music right now. (This will change...)
WIll try your preset later and tell you if the really low notes (the ones that kick ass) are being caught by the spectrogram.

The big guitar is actually quite easy to play if you start with one finger per hand. No need to play all possible notes at the same time.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop

Tags
detection, note