Old 7th November 2014, 10:20   #561
iinsertcoin

makensis for POSIX

Are native POSIX builds for makensis planned for release?
Is it even possible to build a makensis binary for use in POSIX systems without WINE?

Thanks.
iinsertcoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 11:11   #562
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

Yes, Anders and I did the NSIS 3 posix support a year ago. Posix builds are officially supported since 3.0b0 (2.46 also supports posix).

"Only a MouseHelmet will save you from a MouseTrap" -Jason Ross (Me)
NSIS 3 POSIX Ninja
Wiki Profile
JasonFriday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 11:16   #563
iinsertcoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonFriday13 View Post
Yes, I helped do the NSIS 3 posix support a year ago. Posix builds are officially supported since 3.0b0.
I'm sorry, I was not specific in my question. I was referring to the Unicode version of makensis. I understand it is not official but since a lot of comments on this thread are about it I just thought I would ask here.

I'm actually using makensis (v2.46, I think) on Linux, but the lack of UNICODE support is the biggest problem I'm facing. I can't even understand why there are some MUI nsh files in ANSI if they can't be properly encoded without UNICODE... The text in setup files just show garbage (ANSI) chars instead of the correct locale.
Old 7th November 2014, 11:23   #564
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

The unicode fork by scratchpaper.com does not support posix, so the main reason to use NSIS 3 is for unicode support. Everything up to 2.46 is ansi based.

NSIS 3 POSIX Ninja
Wiki Profile
Old 7th November 2014, 11:30   #565
iinsertcoin

Quote:
The unicode fork by scratchpaper.com does not support posix, so the main reason to use NSIS 3 is for unicode support. Everything up to 2.46 is ansi based.
I used makensis (packed with NSIS 3.0b0) on Windows 7 and the compiled installer failed to show Arabic characters correctly, it just showed ANSI. makensis on Linux is at version 2.46 and also didn't encode properly... so I feel pretty confused right now.
Old 7th November 2014, 11:42   #566
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

You did read the documentation right? In NSIS 3, unicode support is turned on using 'Unicode True' in the script.

NSIS 3 POSIX Ninja
Wiki Profile
Old 7th November 2014, 11:51   #567
iinsertcoin

Quote:
You did read the documentation right? In NSIS 3, unicode support is turned on using 'Unicode True' in the script.
I feel slightly embarrassed to admit that in my entire hunt for unicode support, I failed miserably to read any of these:
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Cha...#intro-unicode
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Cha...aunicodetarget

In any case, where can I get the .deb package for Linux Debian makensis v3 and why isn't makensis v3 in Ubuntu repositories yet?

Thanks.
Old 7th November 2014, 11:58   #568
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

Probably because it's still beta software. There is nothing stopping you from compiling the source on linux, you just need scons, if you need zip2exe: windows zlib files, and if you need NSIS Menu: wxWidgets.

NSIS 3 POSIX Ninja
Wiki Profile
Old 7th November 2014, 12:03   #569
iinsertcoin

Quote:
Probably because it's still beta software. There is nothing stopping you from compiling the source on linux, you just need scons, if you need zip2exe: windows zlib files, and if you need NSIS Menu: wxWidgets.
Will do, for sure.
Thank you and sorry for the misundertstanding.
Old 1st March 2016, 07:17   #570
Bodenseematze

v2.50

Hi together,

are there any plans to update the Unicode version of NSIS 2 to the latest NSIS 2 version (v2.50)?
Or isn't that necessary any longer because the original NSIS 2 is able to handle ANSI and Unicode together like NSIS 3 does?

BTW (a bit OT), did anybody use UMUI with newest NSIS 2 version?
Does it still work?
If the NSIS Unicode version will be updated what about a bundle with UMUI Unicode (together with all necessary updated plugins)?

Is anybody working on this? Or plans to work on this?

I work with the combination NSIS 2.46.5 together with UMUI in Unicode versions, so maybe I could help a bit... (at least with testing )
Bodenseematze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 11:53   #571
CritterNYC

The old Unicode NSIS 2 hasn't been rebuilt in a stable release in quite a while. There were still code contributions trickling in after the last stable. It is vulnerable to the DLL hijack issue that the latest NSIS2 and NSIS3b3 releases patched. I'd recommend switching to NSIS3b3. We did for PortableApps.com. All the plugins work though a couple you'll need to duplicate copies in the plugins directory as well as plugins\x86-unicode. You just need to set the Unicode true switch in your build options of your NSISu scripts. As a bonus, you can set ManifestDPIAware true as well if you don't do any custom forms. Just use double resolution BMP files for welcomefinish and header.

The last release of UltraModernUI was 5.5 years ago. I don't think it is under active development any longer. That style of installers looks quite outdated on modern Windows in my opinion, so I'd recommend switching to stock.
CritterNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 16:00   #572
MaGoth

nsis-2.51.0-Unicode
Any news yet?
MaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 19:01   #573
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaGoth View Post
nsis-2.51.0-Unicode
Any news yet?
Use NSIS 3, NSIS 3 = NSIS 2.5x + Unicode. The 2x branch is in maintenance mode and will only get security fixes, no major new features.

IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion