Old 1st August 2014, 19:20   #1
McInRantz

ml_ipod popup window size issues

Hey all. I just downloaded and installed ml_iPod. I pretty much got it to work. I was able to add songs to my Winamp library and then download them onto my iPod Shuffle that a friend just gave to me.

However, there seems to be an issue with some of the "windows" within the Options > Preferences menu of Winamp with regard to the "new items" that ml_iPod added. Specifically, when clicking on the tabs of "About", "Extras", "Transfers", "Speech", "Audio & Video", and "iPod Support", all of the information contained within each of these tabs is "cut off" on the right side AND bottom of the window. I don't have the "normal" ability to enlarge these windows by dragging them larger as I do with normal Windows windows. It's like too much information contained within these tabs for too small of a space.

I'm just curious about this. Is there any "fix" or "patch" for this? Or, is/are there some setting(s) within the registry where I can "adjust" these window sizes so that I can see all of the information and settings for these corresponding tabs?

I included jpegs of 3 tabs (Transfers, iPod Support, Speech) so you can see how they look for me. The other tabs I mentioned are similar in how their information is cut off on the right side and bottom.

Regardless, thanks for making this plug-in so I don't have to use stinky iTunes and thanks for any help with this issue.

Mac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfers Window.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	51325   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPod Support.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	51326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speech Window.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	51327  
McInRantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 19:29   #2
DrO

just based on the screenshots i can tell you're using a v2.9x version of Winamp and that is your issue as those preference pages are designed (as much of ml_ipod is) to work in a v5.x version of Winamp.

i'm sure you have your reasons for using such an old version of Winamp, but based on this 3rd party plug-in effectively being dead now (it's over 2 years since the last main developer was even seen on these forums), the only to fix the issue if you must use an old version of Winamp is to modify the plug-in yourself so it'll work with that version.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 19:40   #3
McInRantz

Yeah, I sort of figured that's what it was. So, I would have to deconstruct the ml_iPod code and go in there and change font sizes or something like that?

Conversely, I could probably deconstruct Winamp and change the "window size" for the tab options I suppose.

I was able to go into a program once and change a feature of it. I'm not a programmer and it was a lot of work. I spent hours reading about how to do it and searching out and downloading multiple other programs and utilities in order to make the changes I needed to the program I was trying to modify. I'll probably just end up taking the plunge and installing a newer Winamp, which I really hate to do. I just don't like the newer Winamp look and their resource "hogginess".

That's too bad about this nice little plug-in being effectively dead. I'm a late bloomer to the iPod scene. If one hadn't been given to me, I still wouldn't have one.

Thanks for that input.

edit: I just thought of it and I guess the "proper" word for what I need to do is "decompile" the ml_iPod plug-in and NOT deconstruct it.
Old 1st August 2014, 19:55   #4
DrO

you just choose the classic skin, don't install the things you don't want and get a heavily patched 2.x client with 5.x versioning. the biggest things that uses up memory is a) skin images (hence using a classic skin - even that uses 1-2MB of memory) and b) using the media library (the more files you add and the more metadata in those files, the more memory which will be used by it).

yes you could edit the preferences dialog resource of the version you're using but it'd be better to use the plug-in on a version of Winamp it was designed for, but is your call.

the source code for ml_ipod is available, so you wouldn't have to decompile anything, you'd just have to edit and compile what you wanted (if that was an option for you - but that seems to not be the case, but i had to mention it to cover all options).
Old 2nd August 2014, 02:46   #5
McInRantz

Well, I just downloaded and installed 5.666. We'll have to see how it goes. Yeah, I did the classic skin. I can always go back to v2.9 if I have to.
Old 3rd August 2014, 01:18   #6
DrO

make sure you also installed the 2 required plug-in patches from my signature. and really the resource difference between the version shouldn't be all that much though there are already a number of small changes for 6.x which should get things in the scenario you seem to be running closer to what people expect (within reason as nothing can really be done if you've got a massive library / main playlist loaded) from a 2.x install and also hopefully a noticeable reduction in loading times (as my 5.666 install is slow compared to the internal builds and 5.666 is better than a lot of the 5.x releases when using a classic skin based on my test setup).
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion