Old 20th April 2016, 07:50   #1
kogia

Windows 10 Issues with Winamp

Just recently upgraded to W10 and resetting up my old faithful WinAmp (still never found another player that works as simply and as well), but keep running in to a few problems with preferences not sticking.

My main issues are to do with the right click context menu. In Winamp Shell Options I've been trying out a whole range of options and never quite get what I actually want, often the changes don't even occur until after a full system restart, so it's been a slow process of trying various options out. A big issue I have is if I unclick 'Play in Winamp'' in ther 'File Context Menu' options area, I lose all associations with WinAmp entirely and have to right click and ''open with''.

I like to have it set up as double click on mp3 (or m3u) enqueues at the end of what's playing. Then a right click on the file and left click 'Open' just opens it as a totally clean play in Winamp.

As a side note, I like to view album art as the main thing, this I have sorted fine. Is there any way (or skin) to just view album art and then when you mouse over have the controls appear - kind of like WMP? Even a really small simple skin that skips the equaliser and just displays the song artist and title would be good.

Thanks in advance.
kogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 14:48   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Starting with Windows 8, it is best to use the Windows "Default Programs" utility to associate various file extensions to the apps you want to make the default for the extensions. Disable all the options in Winamp that tries to associate or re-associate it with various extensions. If you're using the current patched version of Winamp (http://getwinamp.com/) and installed the "Jump To File Extra" plug-in, then you should have expanded Windows Explorer context menu options to select from in the Winamp General Preferences - File Types - Shell Options.

As for a skin, look thru those on garetjax's website (http://www.1001skins.com/Pages/Gallery) or send him a PM (private message) and he may be able to suggest something that fits your description.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Last edited by Aminifu; 20th April 2016 at 15:51.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 15:35   #3
kogia

Thanks very much for that, I'll check out that website and the other suggestions. Appreciated.
Old 20th April 2016, 17:27   #4
kogia

Here's my settings with Winamp 5.666

If I double click on an associated file it opens and plays in winamp fine.

But I have no enqueue option when I right click a file.I can't seem to get any extra context menu options to appear for winamp.
Old 21st April 2016, 09:00   #5
kogia

It doesn't seem to matter how I fiddle with the Shell Options, I can't change what left, or right clicks do, or what context menu options appear?
Old 21st April 2016, 12:45   #6
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kogia View Post
It doesn't seem to matter how I fiddle with the Shell Options, I can't change what left, or right clicks do, or what context menu options appear?
Your File Types page in Preferences looks different from mine.
Make sure you are running the fully patched ver. 5.666 build 3516 by re-installing Winamp, using an installer from the link Aminifu provided, or from here: http://meggamusic.co.uk/winamp/Winamp_Download.htm

If that doesn't help, post an Info Report: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....61361#infotool

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 15:26   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by kogia View Post
Sometimes it is necessary to reboot after making changes to certain parts of the Windows registry. This forces Windows to load and use all updated registry entries. There are other ways to force a reload of the registry, but rebooting is probably the best way to avoid introducing other issues.

However you have said that you have been trying various options and your screenshots show some inconsistencies. For example, you say you can double click on a file associated with Winamp and it opens and plays. But the "File Types" dialog shows that the "Enqueue files on double click" option is enabled. Also, the "Shell Options" dialog shows that the "Enqueue in Winamp" folder context menu option is selected, but the "File Types" dialog shows that the "Show Winamp actions in the folder context menus" option is not enabled.

Reboot, then download and use the "ShellMenuView" utility (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html) to see what context menu entries are currently in your Windows registry, that are associated with Winamp and with the file extensions associated with Winamp. If you're using the 64 bit version of Windows 10, be sure to download the "for 64x" version of this utility (the download links are in the bottom quarter of the page linked above).

You may need to do a 'clean uninstall' (i.e. delete all of the Winamp program files and the Winamp user data configuration files and registry entries) and a fresh install, instead of reinstalling over the installation you already have.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support