Old 18th January 2017, 10:09   #1
Gibbzy1991

loading textures?

I was wondering how to load textures into milkdrop. I'm guessing it is possible considering there is a texture folder?

I have read the winamp wiki and winamp.co.uk tutorials and cant find anything in the forums, but I am completely new to shader code. Or any code to be honest.

And I have to say its pretty cool the forum is still active, I remember 10 odd years ago marveling at the visuals but having no interest in how they worked. Now I'm blown away from a glimpse of the maths behind shaders and milkdrop and gpucaster, and want to learn how they work, thanks to Ryan Geiss.
Gibbzy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 11:01   #2
Gibbzy1991

Its all good, I went back through the tutorial at geisswerks and figured out how to.
Old 18th January 2017, 13:54   #3
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Hello Gibbzy1991,

welcome here in the Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums.

At first I want to leave a link to another thread in German, "bilder in presets einfügen":
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=382556
if You want to try out also the 185 DLG Presets which work with random textures.

I have written my image-file-naming-rules for random textures and desktop wallpapers, You can read more about them in my thread "My Photos of Parks in Berlin 2016":
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=398665

Some more tutorials and download-links to my own works can be found in my Devious Journal "Winamp forever - Music forever!!!":
http://sternenmaschinebine.deviantar...ever-440352684

And I want to leave also my slideshow-playlists with the latest update from 17th January 2017. I have another USB-Stick at the computer in the meeting-point now, because I am doing some updates on Mediafire, so that this time my attachment has no date.

Currently I myself have over 10100 presets and over 4400 textures on my PC and notebook in use, and I use the extended versions of my collections with textures and wallpapers which are much bigger than the official versions...
Attached Files
File Type: zip SlideshowsIrfanView.zip (430.6 KB, 37 views)

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 14:11   #4
Gibbzy1991

Awesome, thanks heaps.

What I am trying to do is load a pure black and white image and then zoom out without it multiplying the texture. I want to make it a central focus that can be warped or change colours.

I got a texture to load but wasn't having much luck resizing how I wanted, then it didn't save the preset and I couldn't get it to work again. Any idea why it isn't saving the changes I make?

I will read your links and try again tomorrow, it's 11pm here in Australia.
Old 18th January 2017, 14:22   #5
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I myself am not a good preset author, although I had made many preset-edits with subsets of textures, image-groups of images which begin with the same letters. Also I am not a good skin author and especially not a plugin author. But at least I can call myself a texture author with many ideas.

I had integrated also image-groups with other good artists, musicians and photographers, but I had kept also bigger bandwidths of image-groups. And I can give You only my own works (images which are 100% from me).

Maybe a better preset author than me can help You. But for saving the edits of presets permanently You have to do the right-click on the icon and run Winamp as administrator for this one session where You want to make and save the edits. The same is also if You want to change the ratings of presets. Since Windows Vista and Windows 7 it is possible only on this way.

Have a good night and sleep well.

Old 18th January 2017, 14:27   #6
Gibbzy1991

I just noticed your other thread about textures, I will try loading the presets there to get an idea of what to do.
Old 18th January 2017, 15:00   #7
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

If You mean the sprites... Yes!!!... And of course they should be tried out, at least the official versions of my configuration files in "My work in progress for sprite-friendly textures" (please backup the default configuration files first in another location, for example somewhere in Documents on the computer and also on removable drives). The neverending rotation is so pretty cool...

Also in my newer Winamp Screenshots on deviantART You can see one of the sprites, although the credits for the rotating texture go to another very good musician and photographer in Ireland...

Old 18th January 2017, 17:25   #8
Nitorami
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nitorami
Gibbzy1991

I recommend your read the"preset authoring guide that comes with milkdrop on image scaling. It can be a bit tricky with centering and maintaining the aspect ratio. In principle, to scale an image from the midpoint, you need to center the coordinates at (0.5; 0.5) first

uv = (uv-0.5) * scalingfactor + 0.5;
ret = tex2D(sampler_myimage, uv);

scalingfactor will usually be a float2 to account for the aspect ratio.

You should be able to save your preset using the S key. If not, you may not have the privileges to write into the folder; as Sabine said, run winamp as admin or select a different folder. Oh, and don't forget to activate ScrollLock to prevent mildkrop from automatically changing presets while you are working on one.

Cheers
Martin
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 23:37   #9
Gibbzy1991

Ok thanks nito, I was running winamp as admin ages ago but got sick of the pop up warning. I know there is a way to disable the warning but I couldn't get it to work. I gave the presets folder admin permission last night, just didn't press s.

Not sure how I missed the press s to save part, probably just got a bit ahead of myself trying to understand the code before the basics.

Also curious about multiple full screen outputs, not sure of that's supported by winamp of if I would need some other way to do it. For vj purposes at the pub I work, one projector and one widescreen etc.

I don't want to be pinching anyone's code or presets, imo if it's for work I should do the work to make it.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop