Old 10th December 2003, 12:13   #1
happyaura

stereo --> 5.1 dolby digital

Hello everybody,

when i play my (stereo) mp3 files in winamp 2.91, the sound comes only out of the front speakers. is there any plugin which makes the sound come out of the rear speakers and the subwoofer?

thanks a lot,

H@ppy
happyaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2003, 13:48   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

TSGH -> Multiple Speaker Output
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2003, 15:11   #3
Pisi

Quote:
You need to use DirectSound Output:

Preferences (Ctrl-P) > Plug-ins > Output > Select "DirectSound Output"

That should work in most cases
Doesn't do it for me.

Quote:
but if not, then:

Checkmark: "Allow hardware acceleration" in DirectSound Output config,
and make sure your sound card/chip is selected as Output Device.
"Allow hardware acceleration" is greyed out.

Quote:
If that doesn't work make sure you have the latest version of DirectX
(v8.x or higher is required)
I have the latest DirectX version.

Anyway, this is not the issue. Newer 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1-capable audiophile quality soundcards do not have hardware acceleration. Mine, for example, has Sensaura, but I just don't want to use it--this is just because it does nothing but map the front speakers onto the back speakers: this is, really, not genuine 5.1 sound (not to mention that it just doesn't create an LFE channel).

The question remains, then: is there a stereo to 5.1 plugin out there, preferably a plugin that has official WinAmp support?
Pisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2003, 19:11   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The plugins are listed at the bottom of the post in the provided link.

You will need to play a genuine 5.1 encoded format to get genuine 5.1 surround sound, not a stereo format.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2003, 01:45   #5
Pisi

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
You will need to play a genuine 5.1 encoded format to get genuine 5.1 surround sound, not a stereo format.
Okay, maybe genuine is too strong a word. What I am asking is definitely more than what Sensaura gives me, which is a simple reflection of the front channels onto the back ones (i.e. no center channel, no LFE). What I was thinking is something akin to what SRS Labs' CSII plugin does to WMP. Is there some plugin that does this for WinAmp 5.01?
Pisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2003, 10:44   #6
Alltaken

Pisi i have 5.1 channel sound and i can say that you will NEVER get true 5.1 channel sound out of a 2 channel file.

first off a 2 channel stream holds 2 channels of info left and right

when playing one in a 5.1 channel system there are a few options.

1) only play through 2 speakers (yucky)

2) mirror the front channels to the rear channels and mix the two channels for centre and subwoofer.

3) use a software package like SRS that alters the music and makes it crazy LOL

1 is not an option as you say (and i agree)

2 IMO is the best option of them all, as this is the closest sound you will get to the CD (personally i am againt lossy codecs like MP3 and also against EQ settings, i like to leave it all natural to the cd sound, so i choose also jsut to mirror the speakers)

3 is a good option for people that don't mind EQ settings and don't mind MP3's etc.. its an artificial alteration to the music that may sound personally better to some people.

SRS works by taking certain frequencys and moving them to different speakers or by altering the volume of them over certain speakers. SRS is a scientificly studied look at frequencys and how the brain sees them as being 3d.

even two channel stereos with SRS turned on feel like they are playing from right in your ears.

now the thing is SRS is a set of basicly EQ settings that alters your music to give a different feel (but on a per speaker basis rather than an overal EQ)

it can be compared to sticking a reverb filter on the sound, or a changing the effects setting to be "large hall" or "carpeted room" echo settings i am talking about.

if you want these settings i think that you may be able to find SRS options in your soundcard setup, or at least reverb and EQ type options to play with.

however its not GENUINE or TRUE 5.1 at all, its simply a 2 channel file with a few on the fly filters added. 2 channels can never become 5.1 channels without alteration or mirroring.

SRS i believe is patented or license based so i don't know if you will get it in Winamp. (i may be wrong however)

and sorry i cannot lead you to any plugins, i havn't looked for any personally.

oh BTW my soundcard (onboard 5.1 channel intel chip) automatically mirrors the speakers when using 2 channel streams, however you can turn this off in winamp easy enough.

sorry if that didn't really help. maybe there was some helpfull info though :S

Alltaken
Alltaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2003, 17:32   #7
theknub
Major Dude

pisi... there are a few different options you could possibly tangle with. the first is just make sure that your current speakers are selected to be 5.1 in the windows speaker set up. it sounds dumb, but i have messed with some systems where this fixed it. also, take a look at some of your playback settings in windows. it is not always a winamp setting, but can be a windows setting. second, look at your receiver. on most receivers there is a setting to play surround music. mine has two different modes. one is an actual surround music that maps the left and right channel to the rears and mixes for the center. the other is that it will play both the left and right channel in each speaker (basically mixes it all around). this is really interesting for things like a party since everyone will be able to hear the sound.

what are your stereo system specs, i might be able to help you a bit with it.

When you take a hand and chop the fingers off... what do u get?

That would be the knub.
theknub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2003, 18:00   #8
Jumper001

I'd say the Windows setting may be the problem; I use my SB Live! in analog front/rear mode with different sets of speakers, and without that setting set to '4 speaker system' you don't get anything out the rear. With it, it automatically comes out of all of them.

Rt. Click on Volume Control in Taskbar -> Adjust Audio Properties -> Advanced under 'Speaker Settings' -> Select 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers.
Jumper001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 07:03   #9
Alltaken

yes jumper is correct.

it is different for all soundcards though.

for mine there is an audio manager in the system tray or whatever the thing on the bottom right is called.

and in this i set it to headphones, 2 channels, 4.1 channels, or 5.1 channels. but wherever it is there will be a button thats obvious as to where to set it.

Alltaken
Alltaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 07:05   #10
theknub
Major Dude

ok... so this is more like a creative 5.1 system than a stereo system?

When you take a hand and chop the fingers off... what do u get?

That would be the knub.
theknub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2003, 03:50   #11
Helio Aguiar

Send a message via ICQ to Helio Aguiar
The Problem may be your sound card is'nt able to reproduce 2channel files into 5.1 speakers... on my C-Media 6.1 Chip the audio card auto mixes the sound without having to change anything in windows audio properties... when I put a bit more db on the 1st bar on the eq. only the Woofer gains more power, not the other speakers, remember that i use a sound chip that controls each different 7 channels, and a amplifier who uses as well 6.1 surround sound... but on 2 channel files the sound is reproduced with no problem... hope this will help []'s
Helio Aguiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2003, 05:27   #12
didymus

that wouldnt be 5.1 dolby digital. its just surround sound/music.
didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion