Old 9th January 2015, 16:51   #1
HikariWS

AOL selling softwares they bought and killed

Hello guys, this is just an emotional outburst.

Many years ago AOL started buying a lot of apps I loved: ICQ, Netscape, Winamp. They were great at their time, then AOL came and killed them all.

I can't avoid thinking Microsoft was behind those moves. Why would AOL buy softwares just to make them perish, stop in time and lose most of their userbase? And for each of them, there was a M$ alternative that was trash and grew thanks to AOL.

Now, 10 years later, in last years, AOL is selling some of them for a fraction of what they paid.

We moved on. Winamp at least remained alive with no need for updates, Netscape at least was open sourced and FireFox came even stronger. IE is worse than ever, MPC(-HC) saved us for playing videos and I never had to open WMP in my life (only when it opened against my will).

MSN came as trash in WinXP and died as trash without ever being able to be 10% of what ICQ was, and even M$ assumed that. It is so sad. I want my old ICQ 99b back ;_;
HikariWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 21:20   #2
Mr.Henky

Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Henky
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariWS View Post
Hello guys, this is just hatting towards Microsoft.
Pretty much sums up your entire creation.
Mr.Henky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 03:26   #3
Koogle

Quote:
MSN came as trash in WinXP and died as trash without ever being able to be 10% of what ICQ was
lol funny.. msn messenger did get a little better, but it never did as much as ICQ, it was just was bundled to the masses in M$ classic anti competitive behavior. MS really fucking suck ass now they just do even more spyware riddled shite now.

My signature was just too damn good to be seen here..
Koogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 21:51   #4
RetroDigital

Quote:
MSN came as trash in WinXP and died as trash without ever being able to be 10% of what ICQ was, and even M$ assumed that. It is so sad. I want my old ICQ 99b back ;_;
ICQ was great..especially 99b.. I still use ICQ occasionally but the oldest version I can manage for the old feel is 2002a (in windows 8)
RetroDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion